.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old September 17th, 2010, 03:25 PM

Private

a_ver_est is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DAR: USSR vs Finland II

I am not an historian, but if I don't remember bad Germans didn't find any T-34 through the firsts months of Barbarossa.

Anyway if you get T-34 now, what will you use later ?

BTW If I were you I will be more concern about my infantry, Russian troops seems to route very fast as soon as someone shots them and German squads have good firepower and are supported by MGs. It can cause you a lot of troubles.

Roger.
Old September 17th, 2010, 05:25 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ver_est View Post
I am not an historian, but if I don't remember bad Germans didn't find any T-34 through the firsts months of Barbarossa.

Anyway if you get T-34 now, what will you use later ?

BTW If I were you I will be more concern about my infantry, Russian troops seems to route very fast as soon as someone shots them and German squads have good firepower and are supported by MGs. It can cause you a lot of troubles.

Roger.
My main interest in my armor is my infantry doesn't have any reliable integrated AT capability. The next battle my core fights will be their first with the Germans, but seventh overall. This means my general experience is as good, if not better, than the Germans I will meet. My troops don't run that quickly anymore. Tanks are always a problem with them, however since they don't have AT rifles or even Molotovs. They are more likely to run from enemy tanks than perform a successful or unsuccessful assault.

Thus, my concern about my tanks. Since my infantry can't deal with them, I have to do it with armored cars, tanks or antitank guns. I've only got two armored cars, seven medium tanks and two ATGs capable of destroying tanks. My tanks and armored cars have paper thin armor, by the way. T-34s would be nice but I'm shooting for as realistic as practical. I'll be much happier once my infantry is capable of dealing with tanks themselves. AT rifles should be available soon, but right it seems like the 12/39 Soviet infantry is still the best available in 6/41. I looked and there isn't any useful upgrade for my infantry right now, unless I upgrade my two engineers. Two out of three don't even have AT capability. I'll learn more after my first battle against the Germans, which is another delay. At least my ATGs should be able to shoot at tanks for a change.
Old September 17th, 2010, 05:57 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by RERomine View Post

My main interest in my armor is my infantry doesn't have any reliable integrated AT capability. The next battle my core fights will be their first with the Germans, but seventh overall. This means my general experience is as good, if not better,
THOUGH

Reading yor DARs I though this was the third battle, if your infantry has average experience then a simple hand grenade should be enough to kill a tank.

Playing Romania I use to deal with Soviets tanks with hand grenades, even a KV1 can be destroyed if done right.

Keep your team undetected (it is a MUST) until their launch the assault, also if possible attack its rear but I had many successful results even from the side or front. Some squads will panic and don't attack, also you will have a high suppression if the assault fails, but playing the URSS you should have many cannon folder to try several times.

Once done break the contact with hand grenades, withdraw one or two hexes and wait for the next tank.

Perhaps I am telling things that you already know, just trying to help.

Roger.
Old September 17th, 2010, 07:39 PM

Private

Pat58 is on a distinguished road

This is a good read. I'm not particularly good at the game, but I'd suggest on the defensive integrating your weapons into a kill zone can help. Tanks and AT in the back and cannon-fodder infantry in the form of raw recruits up front from the support pool will improve the odds. Throw in selective smoke missions to blind selected targets from counter-fire will enhance your results.
Old September 17th, 2010, 09:39 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road

Guys, any advice is welcome. I've played the game quite a lot, but am in new territory with this core and a USSR campaign. So far, I've fought six battles, but only posted three DARs. I only post the ones I think for battles I think will be challenging, because they do tend to be wordy.

My core experience is around ~75, so my troops will stand and fight much better than they would if I just started the campaign here. I'm use to fighting as the Germans or Americans, so this is new. When fighting as the Germans, I typically go through the desert, so don't have much experience with the Soviets one way or the other. Also, being in the desert, I'm use to tanks or ATGs killing tanks. I'm not impressed with the ones I have now, but am trying to keep it realistic. Honestly, that might be gone now that I have troops that will actually stand and fight effectively in 1941. As far as my infantry is concerned, maybe I'm under estimating what they can do, based on their performance in the first two battles.

I'm also minimizing my use of support points. That doesn't mean I won't use them, but resist. I don't see the sense in spending points on using with an experience of ~55 that will cut and run at the first shot. My core already simulates receiving higher level assets as cross attached units, such as my tank company and two supply trucks. The roughest part is fighting battles with my only artillery support as two 82mm and three 50mm mortar sections. It never seems to be quite enough and rarely stops tanks. The range (800m) on my 50mm mortars is pitiful, also.

My next battle is a delay against the Germans. It should be interesting, so I will put a DAR out for that one. The first thing I need to do is take a look at the terrain and decide where to put my troops.

Cheers,

Ray
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:18 AM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ver_est View Post

Once done break the contact with hand grenades, withdraw one or two hexes and wait for the next tank.
I wanted to say :

"Once done break the contact with smoke grenades, withdraw one or two hexes and wait for the next tank."

It was late at night when I wrote it