This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old December 5th, 2006, 01:18 PM

Sergeant

thorfrog is on a distinguished road
Default IGN 6.6 Review

IGN give SEV a 6.6. This sux. How is the patching going? What is Aaron's take on these reviews.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/749/749070p1.html

Here is the summary from IGN

Closing Comments by Steve Butts

If the 4X genre keeps heading in this direction, it's going to become even more marginalized. While I definitely don't agree with dumbing games down for the sake of mass appeal, games like Space Empires V just don't have a broad enough appeal to inspire other developers to imitate and refine the basic 4X model. Civilization IV struck a nice balance between depth and approachability but we've yet to see a similar success in the sci-fi setting.

Space Empires V really does deliver one of the widest and far-reaching 4x experiences we've ever had but the resulting lack of focus and direction will leave even fans scratching their heads with confusion. Poor AI and general stability problems make learning the ins and outs of the game through trial and error much more frustrating than hardcore types are likely to stand. It may be worth checking it out once the basic performance problems are fixed with a patch, but until then it's just not worth the aggravation.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/165/165204p1.html
Old December 5th, 2006, 01:51 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IGN 6.6 Review

I don't believe Aaron has made any public comment about any review of the game as of yet. I believe that he is focused upon addressing the bugs and improving the game and really doesn't have any interest in what these reviews say. And rightfully so.

I have played a dumbed down game for mass appeal recently, Empires At War, and I absolutely hated it. I mean the game has so much potential, all ruined by dumbing it down for the masses. What fun is it to play a game that has no depth to it? A game that lacks any need for creative thinking or skill? A game that has no call for strategy or tactics? I just don't get the appeal of dumbing down a game. Why can't they simply make a smart game, like SE V, and give the players the options to dumb it down or not?
Old December 5th, 2006, 02:54 PM

Major

Urendi Maleldil is on a distinguished road

I like the game that Aaron has made, but I have to agree with the reviewer. Most of us find SEV easy to get into because we're familiar with SEIV or we're gluttons for micromanagement hell. Most people who might actually enjoy Space Empires aren't like that and quickly get frustrated by all the complexity presented up front.

Part of the problem is that Aaron does way too much by himself. He needs a development team for Space Empires 6. Hopefully that will be possible now, since Strategy First bought Malfador and they'll be able to throw an actual budget in his direction.

He needs a professional UI designer, plus a bunch of experienced programmers and interactive artists under his wing to really make Space Empires accessible to the masses.

The key is not to "dumb down" Space Empires. (I hate it when games are "dumbed down." It sucks all the fun out of them.) The key is to simplify it so that all the complexity that makes the game great becomes intuitive and easy (fun) to control. Then the complexity is there for advanced players, but it doesn't get in the way of casual or beginning players.

-Km :�
Old December 5th, 2006, 03:12 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow im impressed. A mainstreamer`s site like IGN gives a respectable 6.6 ? Pretty good.
Old December 5th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Sergeant

Romulus68 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Atrocities said:
Why can't they simply make a smart game, like SE V, and give the players the options to dumb it down or not?
I second that motion
Old December 5th, 2006, 03:32 PM

First Lieutenant

Raapys is on a distinguished road

I don't think there should be more developers, really. Since more developers equals more costs, that also means the publishers would want to make the game sell more, i.e. more mainstreamed. I'm fine with just Aaron. I just hope he'll be given all the time he needs to fix the bugs and improve upon a game that was, I'd say, released 6 months too early.
Old December 5th, 2006, 03:35 PM

Corporal

AAshbery76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Urendi Maleldil said:
Hopefully that will be possible now, since Strategy First bought Malfador and they'll be able to throw an actual budget in his direction.

This is strategy first we are talking about.Not a chance in hell.
Old December 5th, 2006, 04:41 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

Aaron needs help in the way of somebody who can cover off the manuals or data files etc; not with the actually coding.
Old December 5th, 2006, 05:23 PM

Major

Urendi Maleldil is on a distinguished road

For a game with the scope of Space Empires V Aaron needs a team. If Strategy First expects one man to design the game mechanics, program the core engine, design the UI, script the data files, write a killer AI, alpha test, and hammer out all the bugs, all on a pre-announced launch deadline, then they're going to get a pretty mediocre game.

I know Aaron is a great programmer. I've played SE1, SE2, SE3, SE4 and SE5. I've been a fan since 1995. But if he wants Space Empires to have mainstream appeal without compromising the loving detail that makes us hardcore suffer from the "just one more turn" syndrome, he also needs to be a great leader and have a dev team to back him up.

-Km :�
Old December 5th, 2006, 06:23 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Well everything he learns in SE V will help him with SE VI.