This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old December 27th, 2004, 06:48 PM

Corporal

Iron Giant is on a distinguished road
Default 4x dead. PC games dying. Gave away PC. :(

Well, I donated my PC. Its that useless and a volunteer organization I do some work for needed a new PC so I rebuilt and donated it (I swapped the Geforce4 card out though )

4x is dead. Imperium Galactica became "Nexus: the homeworld wannabe" so I'm not going to buy it. I can play SE4 on my wife's 500mhz. I'll buy a new PC next summer when SE5 comes out. In the meantime, I need another hobby. Bowling anyone?

Will I ever play another game that keeps me up with the "one more turn" syndrome?

Is there a patch in the works for Starfury? I thought there was one and it might add some "things"? I only bought Starfury to support SE5 but it was ok to play through.

Any word on SE5? Out next summer?

Xbox gives me a gaming "fix", but it doesn't keep me up late... wait, maybe thats a good thing?
Old December 27th, 2004, 10:15 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 4x dead. PC games dying. Gave away PC. :(

There was one patch for Starfury with rumors of a possible another later.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old January 2nd, 2005, 04:34 AM

Major

Instar is on a distinguished road

Do you have XBox live? Its great, except for the cursing high pitched 13 year olds who think they're great. They populate Halo 2 servers sooo much...
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 04:37 AM

Major

Oh, and PC games are not dying! The PC is a major platform. What platforms has Half Life 2 came out on? Thats right, just the PC! How about CnC Generals? Battle for Middle Earth? The Sims2? Which platform did Doom3 come out for first?
At the same time, console games are a major platform as well. Sure, I really cannot afford to support both hobbies, but I have fun with both.
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:39 PM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

The problem with PC games is that they are trying to be console games too much these days.

Starfury, on the otherhand, would make a neat port over to console games.
Old January 4th, 2005, 02:14 AM

Major

How so? Sure, Deus Ex 2 was an obvious PC/console game, but games like CnC Generals doesn't translate to a console very well at all. And the Sims Urbz thing looks just plain stupid.
Old January 4th, 2005, 05:03 PM

First Lieutenant

Those kinds of games, are what remains to PC games. I'm talking about that typically require an average of 8 buttons or less to operate. I know more games on the PC use many many buttons, but if those buttons can be put into toggle menus - it's better as a console game.

For two common two examples, Starfury and DO would make better console games than PC games I feel. The loss of customizable options is great, but then again, that is why they are PC games
Old January 5th, 2005, 04:26 AM

Major

Hmm, I see what you mean. But the PC is a tremendous market that developers ignore at their peril. I think that consoles just open up more of a market for developers. The PC isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Old January 5th, 2005, 04:31 AM

First Lieutenant

At the rate consoles are developing, I wouldn't be surprised if they soon had more in common with gaming PC's than thier predessors
Old January 6th, 2005, 07:21 PM

Major

Quote:
Klvino [ORB] said:
At the rate consoles are developing, I wouldn't be surprised if they soon had more in common with gaming PC's than thier predessors
Well, the first XBox was pretty much a stripped down PC with custom parts. The processor was an Intel, and the graphics chip was a nVidia 35 or 40 series, I think. Where they got more performance was through a really fat bus and things like that, I think. Xenon (codename for XBox 2) will use an IBM/Mac processor and ATI graphics chip, both of which are still computer style parts. Microsoft is aiming for a convergence of digital technology, so it is no surprise.
The GameCube uses an ATI chip, IIRC. Despite this, the GC is teh suck