The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old July 15th, 2016, 07:50 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Guns and Snakes

"On March 18, 2003, two days prior to the U.S. invasion of Iraq, my unit—Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 269, which consisted of 18 AH-1W SuperCobras (we call them Snakes), nine UH-1N Hueys, and 323 Marines out of Jacksonville, North Carolina—moved about half of our aircraft into Kuwait from the USS Saipan, an amphibious assault ship that was our home at sea. I was designated the division leader for a four-Snake flight that was tasked with destroying three Iraqi border posts. We moved ashore so we could react more quickly to the rapidly changing and confusing timeline for the coming battle’s opening phases."

"I had never been so nervous as I was flying off the boat that day. This was my first combat mission, and as we flew across the teal waters of the Persian Gulf toward Kuwait, I thought about my children. I feared them being left fatherless, and I begged God for strength."

Read more: http://www.airspacemag.com/military-...mEzHDbEbxhW7dD.

A gripping account of Marine Super Cobras and the crews in combat. I found the article interesting and informative as a basis for my scenario attack helicopter ops. See http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showp...44&postcount=1.
Old July 15th, 2016, 12:59 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Guns and Snakes

Nice article - Thanks.

If anyone is interested in the British attack helicopter experience in Afghan, may I recommend the book "APACHE DAWN - Always Outnumbered Never Outgunned" by Damien Lewis. It is written with a similar wit and self effacing manner and a jolly good read.

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old July 16th, 2016, 05:57 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Guns and Snakes

As the old saying goes, the only people that aren't nervous going into combat are fools and idiots.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein