.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old March 11th, 2017, 11:52 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Height Maps

Yep - doh!
Old March 13th, 2017, 03:49 AM

Sergeant

dmnt is on a distinguished road

I could also try and see if the generated map could come with the text fields for those hexes. However, I'm not that keen to jump in the binary format without documentation.

I'll try to add the satellite view this week as well as the "donate now" button where people can chip in - but it's not expected, just appreciated. The paypal account is in the name of a dotcom ltd (of which I own part of the shares) where my personal site resides as well, so don't get confused about the recipient of the donation. I have already signed up for billing, but not expecting anything major from there.

Don: The server should be heavy duty enough to cope with the map makers (it's already hosting a fairly popular site), so adding a link to the game manual is not a problem.
Old March 13th, 2017, 08:11 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnt View Post
Don: The server should be heavy duty enough to cope with the map makers (it's already hosting a fairly popular site), so adding a link to the game manual is not a problem.
It's too late for this year but next year I will. At the beginning, I recall there were traffic restrictions and I didn't want to post a link and see it get swamped with people curious about it, but I think now there just isn't the flood of game map makers I thought there might be.

Don
Old March 16th, 2017, 02:53 AM

Sergeant

dmnt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
It's too late for this year but next year I will. At the beginning, I recall there were traffic restrictions and I didn't want to post a link and see it get swamped with people curious about it, but I think now there just isn't the flood of game map makers I thought there might be.
Thanks! You are absolutely correct that I requested people not to flood the map creating system as at the time the API access was restricted (limited to free account restrictions) and the implementation was more CPU intensive than the current approach and I didn't want any negative effect for the main site from this hobby of mine. Anyway now it should be able to handle the traffic from the general public.
Old November 14th, 2017, 02:38 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Confused Re: Height Maps

I need step-by-step instructions on this map making utility.

I inserted the following coordinates into the WinSPMBT Map Tool: 31.5178
and 64.1142. Hit the download link and I got my spmap999.dat.

Problem, map does not show in Map Editor. I only have the dat file and not the cmt (not sure if that's a problem as nobody else seems to have reported more than the one map file.)

So, by the numbers, how to get the map into the Map Editor and how to get a winSPMBT map (pictures would be nice too for hard heads.)

Old November 14th, 2017, 10:30 AM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
I need step-by-step instructions on this map making utility.
1) I stopped using the coordinate system and just press go. It will take you to the eastern Atlantic somewhere.

2) Zoom out.

3) Point and click your way to where you want to go.

4) Zoom in.

5) Use the + centre hex grid function (found in the upper right corner) to set the map.

6) Download the map.

7) Place the map in the game map folder. You might want renumber it otherwise it'll be 999.

8) I also use the link funtion and email the map link to myself. Then open the venhola map program link on my other computer.

9) Load the map in the editor. It will have no name and appear blank - but it isn't. Use grass or some other terrain that does not change heights and fill in the entire map and the differences in height will show. (There is also a way to fill the map with the basic green/winter/desert terrain - but maybe we can learn that part next class...)

10) Fill in water, roads, towns etc. Save early, save often.

I have my older computer set up next to my newer one. I open the map program with the link function using my older machine and work and edit on the gamemap itself on my newer computer. It saves time. I guess you could use two screeens to get the same sort of result. Often I use other map sources for additional information...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wulfir For This Useful Post:
Old November 15th, 2017, 01:16 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Load the map in the editor
Select fill following contours of map, first button on second page
Set the fill range high so it covers the whole map, solid or your preference.
Wait a few seconds for terrain heights to be filled in then save the map.
Now edit as normal.

Saving the link is very important especially if you have adjusted the angle as you now have the infomation to fill in the map.

Being able to adjust the angle from the map screen would be a nice feature so you can adjust it a couple of degrees to see the results.
Look at long straight roads runways etc & adjust the angle to best depict them or some other major terrain feature before generating the map.
Keep in mind left right works best for deployment when rotating the map top does not need to be North.
Old November 15th, 2017, 01:43 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Height Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Saving the link is very important especially if you have adjusted the angle as you now have the infomation to fill in the map.
Please explain, "saving the link," how is it used? What information is available to fill in the map?

Thank you

Old November 15th, 2017, 08:18 AM

Corporal

Grant1pa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Please explain, "saving the link," how is it used? What information is available to fill in the map?

Thank you

The link provides you the opportunity to return to the Map Tool and accurately recreate your hex map you downloaded (Including the rotation of the Map Tool map you may have done). For me, when I'm working on a map it will take me hours until I can get the basic road system, town layout, streams, etc done.

The map tool gives you the terrain, filling in the rest from the linked page is up to you. Having the link saves you from what I used to do, which was multiple screen print the Map Tool page and then refer to those prints to draw in the other map features. I can reload the Map Tool map complete with the rotation I may have put in, and return to generating the game map I am working on any time I choose.

One thing I learned from the latter, is I stopped using exact hex numbers to draw entire roads, etc. I set key waypoints counting hexes, then eye the roads and towns in from there. It may not be as accurate, but due to the scale difference between the Map Tool and the game graphics, it will save you many Tearing Out Your Hair moments. Also, you can soften the generated Map Tool Map to better fit road alignment, etc.

Finally, I use the same map coordinates I fed into the map tool, then go to google maps and look to man made features (fields, farms, etc) to mesh that into the map.

Hope this helps.

Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant1pa For This Useful Post:
Old November 15th, 2017, 08:22 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

I make a screen shot of the map area then print it out and use it for reference.

IDK exactly what he means by link as the link that shows when you make a map does not bring me to that same map
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	venhola2.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	15024  

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: