The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old August 21st, 2014, 06:47 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Confused Syrian Machine Gun Units - OOB03

I would like to include HMG units for inclusion in my Red Line Syria series, however it appears only the section, unit 101 NSV HMG Section is available. This section has two 12.7mm HMG's while I want to work with one 12.7mm HMG.

Question: Does the section deliver greater lethal fire than a unit? And, does the section has a better surviability than a unit because the section has twice the crew?

I want to split the section into units or teams of 4 man crews for the 12.7mm HMG for obvious reasons, namely to spread the teams on the battlefield supporting Syrian platoons better. Additionally, while passengers, a hit to an APC will not take out the platoon's HMG support.

So, in Mobhack, I made a platoon formation and added two 12.7mm sections. In the Editor, I selected a section, pressed the D key, changed the name to NSV HMG Team, changed the men to 4, changed the second weapon to SKS Carbine, deleted the 3rd weapon and reduced the cost by half. After modifying the first section, I cloned the reminder.

I also, followed this procedure for the AGS-17 GL Sec unit 103.

This got me what I wanted but with more changes of error and work, however, I did not touch the OOB other than to create a formation above the 900 slot.

Question: Is there an alternative?
Old August 22nd, 2014, 06:07 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Syrian Machine Gun Units - OOB03

Two weapons give a unit two chances to hit, so it's more likely to.

As a 4-man team you should also make sure the Unit Size is 0 (it was probably 1 for the Section).

Rather then manually reducing the unit cost use the "Cost Calculator" utility and let it calculate the cost, there are several factors involved in determining a units cost. Just make sure to save after recalculating and use the "Manage OOB Sets" utility to copy the new version of the OOB to the game for use, DO NOT overwrite the "Default OOB", those are your backup.

A assume you touched the OOB both to create the new unit and the formation, it needs both.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old August 22nd, 2014, 06:59 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
Potion Re: Syrian Machine Gun Units - OOB03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Two weapons give a unit two chances to hit, so it's more likely to.

As a 4-man team you should also make sure the Unit Size is 0 (it was probably 1 for the Section).

Rather then manually reducing the unit cost use the "Cost Calculator" utility and let it calculate the cost, there are several factors involved in determining a units cost. Just make sure to save after recalculating and use the "Manage OOB Sets" utility to copy the new version of the OOB to the game for use, DO NOT overwrite the "Default OOB", those are your backup.

A assume you touched the OOB both to create the new unit and the formation, it needs both.
The unit size was indeed set to 1 by default as you suspected, so I made the change to 0 manually in the Editor.

I'll take a peek at the Cost Calculator.

I saved the modified OOB to my OOB user folder Red Line Syria. The default OOB is in the Default OOB folder.

I did not touch the OOB to create the new units. I purchased a section, then in the Editor I swapped the second weapon for the third, then deleted the third with the result being 2 weapons: the primary and the secondary weapons. The formation gave me two slots to create the units after the procedure followed above.

Before I publish the scenario, I'll change the Nation to "00 - Unknown" so the unit is hidden from the Purchase screen.

Thanks Shuiir
Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:52 PM

Lieutenant General

Oh!
I misunderstood, I thought you had added a new unit to the OOB not just used the editor.

The BIG advantage of using the editor is it doesn't require a modified/custom OOB to play the scenario. And yeah, in the case of using the editor cutting the unit cost by half is close enough (probably).

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:56 PM

Lieutenant General

Forgot to mention, if you're just editing the scenario no real need to create a new formation.
Just add/subtract/change units to formations as needed with the editor. Need to be careful tho, if you change an existing truck to say a MG you have to change the units stats or it'll have a good "armor" rating (since it was a vehicle) which dies a MG (which is infantry) very little good.

Old August 29th, 2014, 11:50 AM

Captain

Potion Re: Syrian Machine Gun Units - OOB03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Forgot to mention, if you're just editing the scenario no real need to create a new formation.
Just add/subtract/change units to formations as needed with the editor. Need to be careful tho, if you change an existing truck to say a MG you have to change the units stats or it'll have a good "armor" rating (since it was a vehicle) which dies a MG (which is infantry) very little good.
True dat. It can be more challenging; however, at times, it is the cleanest way to get something done. Often, it is best to have another tab open with the Mobhack open for reference.