.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Dungeon Odyssey

Old August 20th, 2002, 02:17 PM

Private

dummy is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestions for DO v0.99 - Make a customer Happy! :)

I have ordered the game, but I am playing the demo. Please disregard any comments or requests that are irrelevant to the final Version of DO.

I enjoy the game, but it should be renamed to Dungeon Crack.

Okay, here are some minor suggestions:

1. Highlight items in the shopkeep that are magical. In no time we amass enough money to make buying "normal" weapons and armor irrelevant. It is an exercise in tedium to look at every item to see if it has something magical attributed to it. The fact that the game regenerates the items every time you leave the map is great, but leads to the previously mentioned tedium.
Maybe put all, or most, of the magical items in one place- if we want normal wepaons we go to the one place, we want magical- we go to the other.

2. Map overlay on playing screen. It is a pain to open the map, move, open map to get bearing, move again, open map to see what was missed, move, open map... etc.
A map overlay, or one that toggles between "inventory" and "map"- in other words place the map where the inventory screen drops down (toggle between the two) that way we can leave thew map open while moving.

3. Races- where are they?

4. Titles- It would be nice if I could get titles like Hero, King, Despot, etc.

5. Alignment- Not sure how you would implement, but it would be a nice option for modding.

6. The item display section- When you put the pointer over an item or a monster, it will list HP, level, and magic resistance/attributes. This works well with items, but not the monsters. Most times I have the monster killed before I can even read what level he is- what's the poinnt of having a creature with "magic abilities" if younever know what they are?
Maybe set it up so that the nearest enemy stats are displayed, or the Last moster to attack you is displayed- then have that display stay until clicked off. I just want to be able to discern what the enemy is so I can choose the best weapon to kill him with one of the MANY fun items I find in the game- right now I only use my sword...

7. Bags with more slots- or more slots would be nice. I might suggest that you make the total slots modable. Maybe also add another slot on what we can wear- bracers (on the fore arm) come to mind. What about earings for the ladies and the pirates?

8. The ability to ride "things"- I want a horse. i want a boat. I want an adventure that begins with me riding a dragon up to a mountain castle in the sky to fight the dreaded Ogre Bebble-bum. All I can do now is kill horses and cows.
From a "mod" perspective, this opens things up a great deal for gameplay.

9. variable hunger- put simply- you need less food if you move less- you need more food if you move more- things like casting spells and fighting should decrease your hunger bar faster than when you are just standing around. Also, when overburdened, you should use more food, and maybe take damage (or not heal).

10. Mana regeneration and health regenration- potions are a dime a dozen, and I have found numerous magical items that bestow mana in some form or another- I would suggest that mana and health only restore when you don't move- or are in town (safe area).

11. Keep the scrolls seperate from the regular inventory, same with the keys.

12." Approximate value". When I find an item, it should give me an estimate on it's resale value- this way I can ditch the worthless stuff, and take only the things that are worth the most money (this is what we all want). This will be extremly useful in larger games where we have several levels of dungeons to wade through.
Maybe make it a skill we can invest in, or hard code it- either way, it would help in any game.

13. Moster regeneration? The demo dosen't seem to have it. Some areas, like the wild, should constanly be regenerating new monsters everytime you re-enter the map. Not sure if this is an option in the full game.

14. Keys- right now in the demo, if you stack keys, you cannot un-combine them- please fix it so I can seperate a pile of six keys into six seperate keys.

15. We can "create" monsters, but can we "hire" NPC to follow us and attack? If so, can we heal them, order them, have them carry things? All of that would be nice, and if we can have NPC, it would be useful for some mods to be able to at least keep them alive by healing, etc.

16.Right now, when I export a character, he takes all his money and items with him. Great- but will there be an option to strip all "stuff" (save experience) from a charcter?
Again, in terms of mods, it dosen't make sense to start out "Washed ashore on a deserted island..." and then be fully equipped....

That's it for now. I hope someone hears me.

-Alott
Old August 21st, 2002, 01:33 AM

Corporal

DarkStar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggestions for DO v0.99 - Make a customer Happy! :)

There are some very good ideas on your list. I really like the NPC/Mount ideas you had, the alignment idea also sounds pretty cool. Great minds must think alike, some of these were on the list I sent to Malfador.

I'm sure they read this forum but you might want to send a copy to:

do@malfador.com

That way the list will all be in the same place, just a thought...
Old August 21st, 2002, 04:00 AM

Sergeant

Brian Rock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggestions for DO v0.99 - Make a customer Happy! :)

If I had to nominate the one single change that would push this game from the "might buy" Category to the "will buy" Category, it would be NPCs. As it is I find it mildly entertaining (no intention to damn with faint praise), but I think it would give me more game-challenging decisions if I had to choose how to build a party.

This is the biggest limitation I find with Morrowind, which is vaguely similar in being a fantasy RPG, moddable (although DO should be a couple orders of magnitude easier to mod!), and also limited to one character.

Morrowind has gorgeous graphics, great magic system, well constructed world, but it's me vs the world. Being limited to a single character means everything starts to get rather same-y after a few levels.

My only option to change the feel, is to start a new character, but then I get pushed back to the beginning. This means I have to go through pretty much the same process to build up, and by level 12 I face the same problem all over again.

Now a fast and furious moddable RPG that lets me tweak my team - that I could get into.