oragus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sd.Kfz. 9

Must be a source issue?
Old April 23rd, 2018, 07:57 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Could be, but I have not seen a source that makes the Sd.Kfz.7 6.1 m long.

Wiki says 6.85 as does tanks-encyclopedia and World War II Database but as I have stated many times.... you will still see stated variances in the L x W for Tiger tanks so variances in source data for something like this is not a surprise.

**it happens...... my 6's are a bit too long ( but corrected now ) I've added over 120 Icons to the game since the patch was released..... "springs" been a bit slow this year so I got a head start on next.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old April 23rd, 2018, 08:24 PM

Sergeant

oragus is on a distinguished road

Agreed
Old April 23rd, 2018, 11:26 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Sometimes these dimensions just don't "add up" even though other sources agree on what they are. The scale being worked at one pixel more or less for width (especially) or length one way or the other can change how it looks, sometimes dramatically. It can be very frustrating at times building something that is correct by the dimensions but the WxL ratio of the Icon doesn't agree with the line drawings even though they do with the WxL source data. I have found many times to get something looking right a pixel of more or less width can make all the difference even though doing that puts the Icon outside the given WxL

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old April 24th, 2018, 12:07 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

I don't know anything about SP icon creation, but just a food for thought: pixel doesn't always come in perfect square ratio (1:1). There's what we call "Pixel Aspect Ratio".

In Photoshop you can define this using the new file dialogue:

Old April 24th, 2018, 12:18 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Yes but the ones I use are ( albeit 10x normal for this example )

Attached Images

Old April 28th, 2018, 11:30 AM

First Lieutenant

blazejos is on a distinguished road

I just add something about WWI vehicles still used in 30's.

Tsarist Russia was one of the biggest adopters of armoured cars in times of WWI this cars goes mostly in hands of White and Red's during civil war. Some of them were captured by Germans and newly created states on ashes of Rusian empire like Poland, Estonia or Latvia.

Garford-Putilov
Heavy armoured car soviet cars were used into late 20's and dismantled. But Latvia have three of them and were captured by soviet during annexation in 1940. They were used in 1941 probably around Riga. Poland also captured 2 of them during war with soviets in 1920. They were used until 1927 and finally dismantled in 1930.

Garford-Putilov google translated to english

Austin / Austin-Putilovets

Russian license build British Austin armoured cars. This vehicle is already in polish OOB available between 1930-1931. Both versions English imported Austin I until Austin III and Russian build Austin-Putilovets. All captured from Soviets during war in 1920.
Soviets have 73 of them until 1931 in regular army units, 40 of them English build versions. Like in Poland they remove them in 1931-1933 and relegate to second line units. They were in NKVD internal troops rebuild on new ZIS chasis and participated in fights in 1941. They were also some captured by Estonian during their war for independence and later recaptured again in 1940 by soviets.

Fiat-Izhorski

Existing also in polish OOB similar in aparence to Austin. Red army used them until end of 1930 and then were transferred to school units as a training cars. Soviets have 47 units. Poland captured on of them and after 1931 was on static display in Modlin as a monument there captured by Germans. Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania have also them and after incorporations of their states were back again in Red Army. There they were used during fights of 1941 and probably all lost.

Fiat-Izhorski

Austin-Kegresse

Vehicle with halftrack mechanism of French engineer who was chief of Tsar vehicles garage during WWI. They were produced and used by Red Army during Civil-war in 1919. Used until 1933 when last four vehicles where dismantled. Poland captured two examples and also used them quite long until 1931. One became a monument in Modlin fortress and was captured by Germans. This vehicle is also modeled in polish OOB.

Austin-Kegresse

And there is the link to page with describe what happens with this post civil-war MK.V captured in Russia. His fate during fights in Berlin.

http://beutepanzer.ru/Beutepanzer/uk/MK_V/Mk_V.htm
http://beutepanzer.ru/Beutepanzer/uk/MK_V/Mk_V-2.html

Last edited by blazejos; April 28th, 2018 at 12:58 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blazejos For This Useful Post:
Old April 29th, 2018, 06:25 PM

Captain

Pibwl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Could be, but I have not seen a source that makes the Sd.Kfz.7 6.1 m long.

Wiki says 6.85 as does tanks-encyclopedia and World War II Database but as I have stated many times.... you will still see stated variances in the L x W for Tiger tanks so variances in source data for something like this is not a surprise.

**it happens...... my 6's are a bit too long ( but corrected now ) I've added over 120 Icons to the game since the patch was released..... "springs" been a bit slow this year so I got a head start on next.
According to Jentz & Doyle Encyclopedia Of German Tanks Of WWII, length of SdKfz 7/1 was 6.85 m, SdKfz 6/2 - 6.32m.

I admire your attention to icon proportions
I hope you look with benevolent eye if I point at better truck or gun icons
Old April 29th, 2018, 06:37 PM

Captain

Pibwl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejos View Post

Russian license build British Austin armoured cars. This vehicle is already in polish OOB available between 1930-1931. Both versions English imported Austin I until Austin III and Russian build Austin-Putilovets. All captured from Soviets during war in 1920.
Soviets have 73 of them until 1931 in regular army units, 40 of them English build versions. Like in Poland they remove them in 1931-1933 and relegate to second line units. They were in NKVD internal troops rebuild on new ZIS chasis and participated in fights in 1941.
This info is sometimes repeated in the net, but I haven't found info on their service in 1941 in Russian printed sources so far. However, it's worth to copy them from Polish OOB to Soviet early inventory (one generic Austin with transverse turrets, Austin-Putilov with diagonal turrets and Austin-Kegresse should be enough).

Here's an old page on Austin variants and service: http://derela.republika.pl/austin.htm

Austins in foreign service weren't numerous, but some were used by Japan, reportedly by Manchukuo. They were also used for some time by the British (put on Peerless chassis eventually).
Old April 29th, 2018, 07:06 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibwl View Post
I hope you look with benevolent eye if I point at better truck or gun icons
You're too late, I've already done them all...... as well there are new AA gun Icons

Last edited by DRG; April 30th, 2018 at 11:45 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: