.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old August 27th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road
Default Simple but ironic question about gems and casting.

First, allow me to make sure my information is correct. You may only use as many gems on a spell as you have ranks in the path. If I have an N4 mage, he can only use 4 gems on any nature spell. If the spell requires 4 gems, he may not add any extras.

Well, the first gem you use increases your path by 1. Does this affect that rule? In the above example, an N4 mage who uses 1 nature gem becomes an N5 mage temporarily. Does this mean that he actually gets to use 5 gems, total?

I have also been wondering how multiple paths and spells work. If a spell is E1N1 and the caster is E3N3, can he use up to 6 gems, AND are his extra levels for both paths added together?

=$= Big J Money =$=
Old August 28th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Simple but ironic question about gems and cast

1) No.

2) I'm not sure. Test it ...
Added advantage: You'll get to see if the mage uses the gems at all, or prefers to cast some other spell ...
Old August 28th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Those are gems in addition to the required casting cost : if your N4 mage is casting a spell that costs 400 fatigue and 4 nature gems, he can use a total of _8_ gems : the first raises effective casting level to 5, the other 3 are used to reduce fatigue costs. (Note that otherwise, some of the spells that cost 8 gems & 800 fatigue would be essentially uncastable).

Exception is that there is a bug with lvl 1 mages : your L1 mage won't use a gem to cast a spell requiring L2, while an L2 mage will cast a L3 spell using gems.
Old August 28th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

Vicious Love is on a distinguished road

Pretty sure mages can only expend gems from a hybrid spell's first path, as that's the one that determines a spell's effective casting level.
Old August 28th, 2006, 11:18 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Cainehill said:

Those are gems in addition to the required casting cost : if your N4 mage is casting a spell that costs 400 fatigue and 4 nature gems, he can use a total of _8_ gems : the first raises effective casting level to 5, the other 3 are used to reduce fatigue costs. (Note that otherwise, some of the spells that cost 8 gems & 800 fatigue would be essentially uncastable).
I thought spell fatique was actually capped at 200 fatique, and thus all the big spells are very easier to cast than thought. I haven't cast any of the big battle spells in a long time, though.
Old August 29th, 2006, 12:46 AM

Captain

Ygorl is on a distinguished road

It's true, Endoperez!
Though, I think the AI will happily burn gems to bring you down to a real 200, rather than a capped 200.
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:48 AM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Endoperez said:
I thought spell fatique was actually capped at 200 fatique, and thus all the big spells are very easier to cast than thought. I haven't cast any of the big battle spells in a long time, though.
Fatigue in general is capped at 200. Any fatigue beyond that causes a great deal of damage. However, this doesn't make spells easier to cast, as the mage must use enough gems to bring the fatigue down to 200.
Old August 29th, 2006, 01:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

Vicious Love is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Graeme Dice said:
Fatigue in general is capped at 200. Any fatigue beyond that causes a great deal of damage. However, this doesn't make spells easier to cast, as the mage must use enough gems to bring the fatigue down to 200.
I was under the impression that spellcasting could only bring you to the threshhold of HP damage, and only fatigue-inducing spells and negative reinvigoration could actually inflict said damage. Never once seen a mage injure himself with spellcasting, even when he was at 97 fatigue or so and cast a spell which would ordinarily bring him all the way up to 200 fatigue.
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:05 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Vicious Love said:
I was under the impression that spellcasting could only bring you to the threshhold of HP damage, and only fatigue-inducing spells and negative reinvigoration could actually inflict said damage. Never once seen a mage injure himself with spellcasting, even when he was at 97 fatigue or so and cast a spell which would ordinarily bring him all the way up to 200 fatigue.
That's exactly what I just said. Mages cannot cast any spell that would bring them above 200 fatigue. They must use sufficient gems to bring the spell down to a fatigue level that would allow them to cast it and end up at only 200 fatigue.
Old August 30th, 2006, 01:22 AM

Sergeant

Frostmourne27 is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure about this, but shouldn't it be easy to test? Mod a zeroth lvl spell to cause 800 fatigue (therefor need 8 gems) and give it a cost of say eight fire magic. make a god that can cast it, then send your god vs indies w/ only eight gems. Wouldn't that decide it one way or the other?