.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old November 10th, 2009, 07:24 AM

Corporal

Yskonyn is on a distinguished road
Default David & Goliath - Running noob game

This is the starting point of a newbie game about to start.
All people interested in joining are, of course, welcome.

It's the first time I am doing this and that's the reason why I don't join a game already running. The idea is to start a newbie game with at least a few newbies from scratch. It's a learning process so all goes at a relaxed pace and before we start we should discuss game settings, empire choices, turn time limits, anything really, here first.

Let me open with the question who want to join?

EDIT: It might be worth noting that I haven't created an entry into the sticky game thread above on purpose. I think we should first get our plans straight before we setup a game entry.

EDIT2: With some advise a more concrete concept can be put on paper (updated as we go for easy ref):

-Early Age game
-Worthy Heroes MOD v1.8
-Shahrivar map
-All settings default
-Graphs ON
-Max 12 players ---> ALL SPOTS TAKEN
-Map with 10 - 15 provinces per player (Shahrivar map chosen)
-Experienced players be restricted to less strong nations
-Llamaserver will be used for turn-flow and hosting ----> GAME NAME: DavidandGoliath
--->Also please take a look through the Llama FAQ:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=35160
-The game will have a master password
-Do NOT password protect your pretender to avoid problems when needing to sub a player.
-Turn time limit begins as 24hrs and progresses to accomodate longer turns later on.
-Diplomacy is allowed. Use PM on this forum or e-mail for inter-player contact, so be sure to enable private messaging in your profile! Use this thread for reports every player should or must know (like alliances or treaties).

Players:
1) Ossa - Helheim
2) Klepto - Ermor
3) Yskonyn - Caelum
4) thjeff - Pangaea
5) GrudgeBringer - Arcoscephale
6) Alehkhs - Ulm
7) Agusti - T'ien Ch'i
8) Dark Kitty - Mitclan
9) Xanatos - Niefelheim
10) pyg - Fomoria
11) donPablo - Tir na N'og
12) Stagger Lee - C'tis

Last edited by Yskonyn; January 25th, 2010 at 07:23 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Yskonyn For This Useful Post:
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:43 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First Newbie game, let's discuss how we proceed here

While a democratic attitude is a good idea, getting TOO democratic leaves you trying to decide/vote/etc on Era, victory conditions, any nations banned, how many to have in game, map, etc.

Pick an era (EA is a good starting era), set how many you would like to have in (anywhere from 8 to 12 is a good number) and pick a map (you can always change it).

This way you at least have some things to talk about instead of having 12 different opinions.

People have a habit of getting antsy and seem to not want to stay around if there is too much time with details.

REMEMBER, a lot of times first games have a lot of people that start but drop out quick if things go a little wrong, so a BIG game is likely to be more of a pain for you than a smaller game.

Just some hints...GOOD LUCK!!
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:01 AM

Captain

Quitti is on a distinguished road

Good luck with the game. A few suggestions though. Like GrudgeBringer said, being too democratic as a game leader is not a very wise choice - Picking era and the player amount, how they pick nations (random or self-pick) and mods to use + diplomacy rules (machiavellian or must-adhere-to-diplomacy) gives a fair guideline to people wanting to join the game.
I'd like to suggest using CBM 1.6 and Streamers&Standards mods for the game. I also prefer to have slightly increased magic sites to give some thought to magic in the early-midgame - though that might still give an upper hand to those with experience in the game should they jump in here.
For player amount, 8-12 is easy enough to handle, but there is only a couple of maps I'm aware of that fit those amounts of people well enough in a somewhat balanced way.
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:06 AM

Corporal

Great advise, thank you.
That's why experienced player input is appreciated.

You talk about banned nations and such, but newbies don't know anything about overpowered nations in the game. Any suggestions as to which nations you would exclude?

I was thinking about an Early Age start indeed. 8 to 12 players sounds nice. Any suggestions for balanced maps?
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:28 AM

Captain

Quitti is on a distinguished road

Well, I don't suggest banning any nations, as it's going to be a newbie game. Just restrict a few nations from experienced players should some decide to join, and restricted nations should probably be Niefelheim and Hinnom. Possibly Mictlan and Sauromatia too. There are a lot of strong nations in EA if you know how to leverage the good parts and fill up the bad parts - but that's what you guys are playing this for, to learn the game

Shahrivar is a good map for ~10 players. You could go and browse the map&mod part of the forums for more good ideas, but preferably you'd like a map with around 10-15 provinces per player.

Also, I'd suggest using llamaserver - the UI to use it is easy and fast, and it works very well. I have to admit that I haven't used Gandalfs server, but it's another option, as is hosting the game yourself. The host-it-yourself I don't suggest, since it'll give you lots of work, even if you were eliminated from the game.
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:48 AM

Corporal

Great, I'll update the first post.
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:26 AM

Captain

Immaculate is on a distinguished road

If i could, i would like to join. I've got a little bit of MP game experience but i'm pretty sure people would definately consider me a newbie still.

I also have an AAR with LA atlantis if you want to see how i can totally get trashed by the AI.

If you have me, i'll play with the nation i have the most experience with, Sauromatia.

I've never played Shahrivar but i know that Cradle of Dominions map is made for that many players (not sure if its the right number of provinces)... its a good map for new players i'm told (partially because it comes with the game and is therefore easily accessible).
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:29 AM

Corporal

Klepto is on a distinguished road

Hi. I'm not a complete newbie, I've played in around five MP games and done very badly in all of them. If that's not too much experience I'd like to take Ermor please.

I'd be in favour of using the CBM 1.6 mod, turning graphs off and no holds barred diplomacy.
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

My totally biased opinion...
I think that a direct-connect game is easier on newbies. You just tell Dom3 the address of the server, and the port. After that it plays pretty much the same as a solo game.

Of course everything has its pros and cons. PBEM has more to get a handle on for some people. Getting the emails with your turns in it, figuring out where the game saved your turns, figuring out out how to setup the game on your end, figuring out how to attach your finished .2h file to an email back to the server. On the other hand, once you get a hang on creating games and deciding the games settings, LLama's server has that nice setup page to whip thru the setup and get a game started in less than a minute.

Both both types (by the way) you have to pre-create your god using the "Game Tools" then "Create a Pretender God" (and I recommend putting a password on it when you create it).

For a fast little direct-connect game up to 4 players I have some pre-created on my server. You could just choose one of the "blitz" games and declare it yours.
http://game.dom3minions.com/bin/blitz_chk.cgi
Or one of the vsAI which adds 4 computer players into the game.
http://game.dom3minions.com/bin/vsAI_chk.cgi

Other than that, if you are considering setting up a larger game then the choices are the same except that LLama's is automatic and on others its by request to the person who sets up games on the server. Everything on LLama's setup page can be part of any game request, and some beyond that (such as boosted AI's and some game settings not included).

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:40 AM

Corporal

Thanks for the input. Gandalf I am not sure; did you want in as well?
Klepto and Immaculate; of course, you're welcome. I've added you to the player list in the first post.
There are at least two other newbies I expect to join in, so other than a place for those two, it's free for all.

I have experience with other PBEM games so that won't be a problem.
There's also an old little utility called PBEM Helper, which automates PBEM turns for certain games, but I don't know if D3 is supported. I have to check.

I am all for the more automation the better. I am willing to act as gamehost or 'leader', but I would prefer a certain automation in handling all data.

I am really not sure about playing your first game with any mods, though. If the majority prefers to enable one or the other I'll go along, but shouldn't it be better to go vanilla at first and appreciate the intricacies of the mods later?