.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old March 24th, 2010, 07:18 PM

First Lieutenant

ghoul31 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: YARG2 , Non-Newb EA RAND game [Enlisting 15/24]

I'll join
Old March 24th, 2010, 07:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

Rytek is on a distinguished road

sign me up please.
Old March 24th, 2010, 08:12 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I need a new game. I'll sign up.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:45 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road
Default Re: YARG2 , Non-Newb EA RAND game [Enlisting 20/24]

Welcome

Wow the vacant spots are filling real fast. Last four remain.

Calahan: Do you have any update or ETA re. your fixes?- No hurry, just asking...
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:36 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithLord View Post
Calahan: Do you have any update or ETA re. your fixes?- No hurry, just asking...
@ WraithL - Hope to have the map done by the weekend. With luck towards the start of it, without luck it'll be more towards Sunday evening (GMT).

Also, how set in stone are you regarding the map, and the use of capital VP's? (since notice they are both in bold text in the OP)

Map wise - Glory of the Gods always seems a tricky one to balance due to the large number of wastes and swamps. Plus fitting 21 land nations into 227 provinces will be a bit of a squeeze (especially if I'm trying to avoid nations starting on or near swamps and wastes). So some areas, such as the South East, might see nations start closer together and with less provinces on offer, since they have the water provinces on offer for extra expansion provinces (since all water nations will be in the West sea). If I learn how to, maybe I can look into boosting a few swamp and waste starters by adding the odd gold and/or resource mine. Since I think it will be difficult to avoid all the bad start locations with so many nations.

Had a quick look around for other maps yesterday, and 'Asia Twist' and 'Alexander' both seem so offer a bit more scope with regards balanced terrain, a few more provinces per nation (although that is of course both good and bad), and the added bonus of both maps being wraparounds. Asia Twist also looks like it weighs in at an attractive looking 12-13 provinces per Land + Water nation. With the Alexander province split being 11-12 Land, 14-15 Water. Alexander (no sites) has always seemed a reasonably good map to me from the games I've played on it. Have no experience at all with the Asia Twist map though.

Capital VP wise - Mentioned in the YARG1 thread that for my other previous map editing effort, I tried to avoid having fixed start locations in favour of starting zones. Designed entirely to hide the exact location of each nations capital, so that rushing is a bit more difficult, and also harder to spell spam capitals (since you have to at least find them first!!). But obviously, there's absolutely no point me doing that if the capitals are being marked with VP's.

All the above is entirely your call though WraithL. Just point me in the direction of the map you want, and I'll do what I can to balance it for a full complement of EA nations.
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:41 AM

General

Well, Both AT and Alexander are good maps. The thing is they're even bigger than GotG. The end game can be nightmarish. Perhaps this can be offset by lowering VPs required for victory to 9 (like in YARG).

Now if we opt for AT or Alexander then there's no need for you to do balance fixes, right?- If so, then I'm in favor of your idea. No need to spend time on further fixes to GotG.

As for which to choose, both are good and I've only a slight preference to Alexander. Maybe we can vote for the map, so each player name which of the both he prefers.
Old March 25th, 2010, 10:03 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

@ WraithL - I think Alexander will still need work as I'm not sure how many nations the default map is balanced for, but pretty certain it isn't a full 24 (although more than happy to be wrong on this one ). But any map will have this problem since don't think I've ever seen a 250-300 province map designed for 24 nations. (someone please shout out now if one does exist somewhere).

Totally with you on more provinces equalling more nightmarish lategame. But all three map are in the same 270-300 ballpark. Personally I'm easy between Alexander and Asia Twist, but I hate fence sitting, so if there's a vote I'll go for Alexander(no sites) just because it's a slightly smaller map, and I know from experience it plays reasonably well in MP. (but then all of Pasha's maps tend to do that. Thanks again Pasha btw for all your great maps).

I'll see how the votes are looking early tomorrow evening (GMT), and then hopefully start work on the map at the same time based on the votes. (subtle hint to WraithL to have the deadline for voting at 19:00GMT tomorrow )
The Following User Says Thank You to Calahan For This Useful Post:
Old March 25th, 2010, 10:15 AM

General

The deadline for map voting stands at 19:00GMT.
Make your choice, AsiaTwist or Alexander.

So far:
Alexander: 2
AsiaTwist: 0
Old March 25th, 2010, 10:23 AM

Private

Curious Yellow is on a distinguished road

I'd be interested in joining. Not a quitter, but I am fairly new to MP dominions.
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:03 AM

General

Sorry, I must ask- how many Dom-3 MP games did you play?- more than five?