.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 14th, 2010, 07:38 AM

Private

oldbone is on a distinguished road
Default Does disease spread to other units in province?

If all other factors are taken away, and a diseased unit is in a province with non-diseased units - does the disease have a chance to spread to other units in that province?

I looked thru the strat guide and manual, but couldn't find any "spread" info beyond the sieging spread into the castle due to starvation.

Thanks in advance!
Old December 14th, 2010, 08:22 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Does disease spread to other units in province?

Normally know. There are a few units with the special ability Plague Carrier (denoted by an icon that looks like a bearded face or something) and they have a chance of causing other units in the province to become diseased. These units are very rare, namely only the Apparition and the Eater of the Dead are ones I can remember offhand.

Then there are units that have the Reaper special ability and they kill off population as well as inflicting disease on units in the province. Mabakiel, Harvester of Sorrows, Poison Golem and commanders equipped with the Bane Venom Charm all have this effect. The icon is a picture of scythe.

Under other circumstances disease cannot spread from unit to unit.

Disease spreading sites have a certain chance of inflicting any unit in the province with disease each turn, ranging from 2% to 10%.
Old December 14th, 2010, 11:29 AM

Corporal

DeadlyShoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There are a few units with the special ability Plague Carrier (denoted by an icon that looks like a bearded face or something) and they have a chance of causing other units in the province to become diseased. These units are very rare, namely only the Apparition and the Eater of the Dead are ones I can remember offhand.
+ The Man with the Iron Crutch.

Quote:
I looked thru the strat guide and manual, but couldn't find any "spread" info beyond the sieging spread into the castle due to starvation.
Any starving unit can get diseased, not just ones in castles.
Old December 14th, 2010, 06:19 PM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Edi:

I think the disease icon (the guy with the beard) is used to indicate that the being spreads disease on the battle field by being near to it. The diseasecloud ability. I don't think they spread disease to other units outside of combat. Mummies also have this ability, and they don't seem to spread disease to other units outside of the battlefield. (Else using the ritual of rebirth would be kinda sucky).

The reaper ability is also called leper in the wiki, that one kills pop and spread disease.
Old December 19th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Second Lieutenant

sector24 is on a distinguished road

Soyweiser is correct.
Old December 21st, 2010, 05:19 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyweiser View Post
Edi:

I think the disease icon (the guy with the beard) is used to indicate that the being spreads disease on the battle field by being near to it. The diseasecloud ability. I don't think they spread disease to other units outside of combat. Mummies also have this ability, and they don't seem to spread disease to other units outside of the battlefield. (Else using the ritual of rebirth would be kinda sucky).

The reaper ability is also called leper in the wiki, that one kills pop and spread disease.
The mod commands for #reaper and #leper grant different abilities, but I'd need to crosscheck which one gave reaper and which one plague carrier, it's been a long while since I did any modding.

As far as the plague carrier, it does spread the disease, but I just remembered the specifics: A plague carrier unit (not commander, but a regular unit) will infect otehr units in the same stack with disease. Apparitions don't have a disease cloud, but other units in their stack will start getting disease. This was most noticeable when I palyed a few Soul Gate Ermor games with Dom2 and the mechanic has not been changed, AFAIK. Plague carrier commanders don't have anyone else in the same stack, so they don't spread the disease.

Disease cloud is a separate ability that makes an AoE disease attack on X squares, depending on the size of the cloud. It works in combat, plague carrier works outside combat.