.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 2nd, 2006, 08:35 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dom3 MP is still Supercombatant based?

Quote:
Boron said:
There are now also some new SC counters.
One really nasty one, especially for SC gods, is horror mark.
Horror mark is Thaumaturgy 1, 2 astral to cast.

Horror marks stack now. If you horror mark an enemy pretender 10 times or so, then the chance is extremely high that already in the next turn he will get attacked by a horror.
Uh thats nasty. Stacking horror marks eh!

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old September 2nd, 2006, 08:46 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
ioticus said:
I didn't think Quickness allowing mages to cast 2 spells per round was overpowered, because it was balanced by the fact that they gained a lot of fatigue. Now that Relief was hit with a huge nerf bat, allowing Quickness to help mages would be even less powerful, but still useful and cool, IMHO.
I admit that i am not sure neither if the quickness nerf was a good idea.
In 90% of the cases you probably won't notice much difference though because of the changed relief.

One of the classic best examples for the usefulness of quickness was imho ctis miasma.
You only scripted quickness once you had relief.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 08:53 PM

Sergeant

Frostmourne27 is on a distinguished road

I didn't know relief got nerfed. Nerfing relief is great, it was way too powerfull, but is 5N and 1 gem maybe a little too much? Unless I'm missunderstanding, which I think I may be. Is relief now a battlefiel enchantment, basically giving everyone reinvig 10-20?
Old September 2nd, 2006, 09:31 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Frostmourne27 said:
Is relief now a battlefiel enchantment, basically giving everyone reinvig 10-20?
Yes.

As for the power of quickness, I think the easiest way to tell that it was overpowered is the fact that there were very few cases any mages with water one or more did not want to cast it in every battle. Personally, I'm not a fan of 'must have' spells.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 09:33 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Frostmourne27 said:
I didn't know relief got nerfed. Nerfing relief is great, it was way too powerfull, but is 5N and 1 gem maybe a little too much? Unless I'm missunderstanding, which I think I may be. Is relief now a battlefiel enchantment, basically giving everyone reinvig 10-20?
Yeah, it seems to be somehing with a diceroll. Maybe something like -3d6 fatigue each round or so. In a test fatigue went down some turns 3-5 points, sometimes like 20 points.

I think for such a powerful effect 5n 1 nature gem is not too much though. Even this relief is still powerful.

More useful for armies and SCs than for mages though i think.

But it is too early to speculate, lets simply await some MP games and if the community really doesn't like the new quickness and relief maybe they get changed in a patch .
I think that they are fine though.

Battlemages are still great. Now more mages can cast spells like magma eruption or gifts from heaven.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 09:39 PM

Sergeant

Frostmourne27 is on a distinguished road

Ummm. QM, your point about quickness is well taken, I suppose your right, every water mage does cast it, though maybe not if your also going to cast a high gem cost spell. But the new relief sounds cool, might be good for hordes of soul slaying astrologers or maybe a big theurg communion. Have to see it in action though. I'm not sure about for SCs though... Does the new life drain also/still drain fatigue? If not it might be good i guess.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:37 AM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Daynarr said:
SC's in Dom3 serve more as support to armies then to win you wars by themselves.
Wasn't it this way in Dom2? You leave your SC alone for a second and the next turn he's dead
Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:45 AM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
alexti said:
Quote:
Daynarr said:
SC's in Dom3 serve more as support to armies then to win you wars by themselves.
Wasn't it this way in Dom2? You leave your SC alone for a second and the next turn he's dead
Hehe yeah.
Though little survived massive artillery attacks .

Late game was always an economic warfare because when you showed an army or a sc then the enemy tried to annilihate it with mind hunt/flames from sky/ghost riders or an own SC/Army magically moved to counter your just magically moved SC/Army.

It was simply a resource war who had more clams. Ah the good old memories .
Old September 3rd, 2006, 03:32 PM

Private

Varjostin is on a distinguished road

I really like the idea of less powerful SC's and less homogenous late game nations, if I understood right the main points of this discussion. One being, even though very powerful, beating an immense professional army without getting a scratch is ridiculous even in a so called high-fantasy world.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 04:41 PM

First Lieutenant

Tyrant is on a distinguished road

I'm with Gandalf on this one, i never really felt SCs were overpowered. I both used and feared them moderatly. A modest nerf sounds about right to me.

Fixing the castle system indirectly affects this too. The one disadvantage of the otherwise overly usefull watch tower strategy was that it did not offer much protection against lone SCs with the right equipment.. Since the watch tower thing has been fixed people will have better forts and SCs will not be able to breach without an army, especially if regular armies are bigger, which it sounds like they will be. I'm playing a triple income game right now, and sieges are a huge issue.

I've always suspected that the popularity of SCs was partialy caused by laziness- it's much easier to set orders for a single SC than a whole army.