.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 6th, 2009, 03:12 AM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Worst Nations in Each Era

I´m surprised to see LA atlantis considered weak, I think they´re awesome. Especially with the new mages giving them exactly what they lacked before.
Old June 6th, 2009, 07:17 PM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road

On Fomoria: I agree that they have SC potential. But - 1 eye. And their giant troops are really weak against any decent swarmers. I rushed them once and they just died... An alternative could be to use just Nemedians for expansion - but then, why not play a real Sidhe/Van nation?
ON Yomi: I think something like Tempering the Will may be useful. And they DO have useful troops in their goblins. It's only that Shinuyama is better - and there is fierce competition in EA...
Monkeys are good enough, I think - except Patala with their strong, but overencumbered mages. And cold-blooded with Water magic, no less!
On Agartha I may be wrong. But there are other Earth nations - with better troops.
Old June 7th, 2009, 12:39 AM

Major

Micah is on a distinguished road

Playing with Fomoria in Rand I never had an issue with the Fomorian Kings losing eyes...the helmetless giant sacreds did a fair bit, but the kings come with a helmet and can cast air shield. I took out Marverni pretty easily with them, but Mictlan's sacreds tore them up in melee. Luckily thunderstrike solved that problem pretty handily.
Old June 7th, 2009, 01:23 AM

First Lieutenant

Kuritza is on a distinguished road

Patala has encumbered mages?.. Change shape once, and they get rid of these plate hauberks, getting encumberance 4.
And water magic allows them to become frost-immune, negating cold-bloodedness.
Old June 7th, 2009, 04:23 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuritza View Post
And water magic allows them to become frost-immune, negating cold-bloodedness.
Frost immunity does not remove the encumbrance effects cold blooded units suffer in cold climates. Frost/heat immunity only removes the +2 severe cold/heat encumbrance effect you get from +3 cold/heat scales.

Very easy to test, start as any cold bloded nation, give them +3 cold scales, and put a Ring of Frost on one of the commanders. You will see the +2 encumbrance effects of the severe cold disappear, but the unit will still be suffering from the +10 encumbrance caused by the cold blooded tag.
Old June 7th, 2009, 04:27 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuritza View Post
Patala has encumbered mages?.. Change shape once, and they get rid of these plate hauberks, getting encumberance 4. And water magic allows them to become frost-immune, negating cold-bloodedness.
Only one of the nagas has plate hauberk, and he has it in both forms. All nagas lose cold-blooded when they change form, which leaves them at base 4, or 8 for the armored one.
Frost immunity doesn't usually remove cold blooded.
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:14 AM

First Lieutenant

Kuritza is on a distinguished road

Ah, my bad I didnt notice the nagaraja in question has robe of the sea instead of plate hauberk.
Anyway, I dont see how being cold-blooded is a fatal flaw. And your best mages arent wearing plate mail anyway.
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:23 AM

First Lieutenant

Torin is on a distinguished road

EA Agartha is Good Actually.
Their troops do whats need to be done, and actually they are better than most, they have innate siege bonus and dont need to eat so you get a very decent chaff for late game allowing to siege any castle in 1 turn, even you can camp at an LA Ermor fort.
With good hitpoints and cheap they last long enough to let your mages do their job.
If thats a problem with early game you get troglodytes that do what pale ones cant.
And their mages are so cool, powerful magics and giant. You also get your cheap mage for the research job.
And the risen oracle pretender. Jontuns get a similar one but I dont know of other with SC potential and immortal.
Old June 7th, 2009, 01:34 PM

First Lieutenant

Tyrant is on a distinguished road

The Hall of Honor says-

EA- Ermor, Abysia, Tir, Atlantis, Yomi, Oceania

MA- TC, Argatha, Vanheim, Atlantis, Eiru, Bandar

LA- Arco, C'tis, Atlantis, Bogorus

I say-

EA- All three water nations(insufficiently amphibious), Ermor, Arco, Abysia, Ulm

Mid - Man

Late - umm...well...um...err...most of them when compared to other ages or Ashen Empire, none of them when compared to each other? I dunno, i've never really been able to wrap my tiny brain around the skewed strategic situation presented by the late age killer dominion powers.

##########

I've never played LA Atlantis, but i've fought them a few times and definitely do not consider them weak. Also as an amphibious nation with D/W they strike me as having better prospects than most of being able to hold their own against the two twilight powers.

What exactly is wrong with the towering pile of whup that is EA Argatha? I know that they have many "annoyance features" , but their troops are tough, their top caster awesome, and their national summons useful and easily available.
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:44 AM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Since I'm playing them currently, I'm curious why EA Atlantis is considered so bad. They are certainly not "insufficiently amphibious", since they don't have any aquatic only units. Basalt Kings are good thugs/borderline SCs.
Is it just because they lack Astral/Death/Blood for the late game?