Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old April 29th, 2020, 02:44 PM

Corporal

Felix Nephthys is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PBEM Fail Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Any secure game which is not properly played is toast. The statistics will be corrupted by at least one player's database being incorrect.

Are you using secure mode for some particular reason (eg competition)?. Otherwise - regular PBEM mode is good enough for friendly games. And it would allow your opponent, if he needs to work aay from home and use his laptop, to play turns while at the hotel rather than only when at home on weekends.
Well the game guide says "We HIGHLY recommend that if you have no problem playing regular secure PBEM to please continue doing so !" so that's just what I do, and since I don't personally know the person I'm playing I like that security.
Old April 29th, 2020, 03:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: PBEM Fail Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Nephthys View Post
Well the game guide says "We HIGHLY recommend that if you have no problem playing regular secure PBEM to please continue doing so !" so that's just what I do, and since I don't personally know the person I'm playing I like that security.
I understand the desire to maintain security but unless you can convince your opponent to only use one machine for your games or move to basic security so he can use multiple machines then what is happening falls under the "if you have no problem playing regular secure PBEM to please continue doing so" caveat..... you ARE having problems and the reason is that he's using two machines. Ask him to pick one and stick with that or both of you restart the game using Basic security mode.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; May 4th, 2020 at 01:01 PM..
Old May 28th, 2020, 01:19 PM

Sergeant

RVPERTVS is on a distinguished road

I've been getting a lot of Fails in two secure PBEM games (so far) against a most trusted and honorable player. We've been using the same computers. It also reports Fails on my end.

On the other hand, is there any known issue playing PBEM v13-CD vs v13-DL? I have CD and my opponent DL. He can't open the files I send ("Save game failed to load !!"). We started with Secure PBEM, but after realizing we had different versions (both v13), I sent a basic security game with same results. I haven't had this issue playing CD vs CD.

Last edited by RVPERTVS; May 28th, 2020 at 01:49 PM..
Old May 28th, 2020, 03:46 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

by we are3 using the same computers - you mean you share a PC? - PBEM won't work on the same box!

CD and DL games should be able to PBEM. So something else is likely up - e.g. different versions of V13?.

If your opponent is using the same slot for multiple ongoing games then any PBEM is toast since the registry slot for both games will be getting out of whack. The slot used for a game must be the same througout the game - no loading other PBEM games into the same slot.

Secure PBEM is really for competitions etc., basic mode should suffice for friendly games.
Old May 28th, 2020, 04:22 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Andy, I think "We've been using the same computers" means each of them is only using one computer.

Question.......are you both using the same PBEM save slot. If he's only DL then it has to be one of the first 5

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old May 28th, 2020, 04:39 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
e.g. different versions of V13?.
I didn't know there were different versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Andy, I think "We've been using the same computers" means each of them is only using one computer.
That's correct.

Quote:
Question.......are you both using the same PBEM save slot. If he's only DL then it has to be one of the first 5
Yes, we are. Slot 1
Old May 28th, 2020, 04:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPERTVS View Post
Quote:
e.g. different versions of V13?.
I didn't know there were different versions.
There aren't. I suspect Andy meant one OOB might have been altered.

You say you know your opponent and trust him so try basic security and see if that works

Old May 28th, 2020, 09:53 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
If your opponent is using the same slot for multiple ongoing games then any PBEM is toast since the registry slot for both games will be getting out of whack. The slot used for a game must be the same througout the game - no loading other PBEM games into the same slot.
"No, this is all I've got going on. My (nearly completely random-***) guess is that the security feature doesn't like that my ancient Windows 8.1 doesn't store the game files in Program Files>Shrapnel Games>The Camo Workshop>WinSPWW2>PBEM Games. It insists on storing them in Users>User>AppData>Local>VirtualStore>Program Files>Shrapnel Games>The Camo Workshop>WinSPWW2>PBEM Games. Even though the game is located in the former location. Ask Andy about that, would you please?"

Quote:
You say you know your opponent and trust him so try basic security and see if that works
That's the plan for our next battle. We just want to know what's wrong and contribute to the improvement of the game.
Old May 28th, 2020, 11:15 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Program Files>Shrapnel Games>The Camo Workshop>WinSPWW2>PBEM Games
Please ead the manual section Game Installation - it is right at the start of the manual so it's easy to find!

Especially read the paragraph Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation!

You have a version of windows >=7 (8.1) so you should have installed following these instructions. Otherwise post XP windows versions will "manage" the files and folders in its own borked way as described in your post.

If you have an old installer then it will have the "program fioles" baked in - the solution is described in the manual paragraph noted above.

Your PBEM games are toast as the game manages stuff in its own folders, not the weird borked ones post-XP windows does. Hence failures to load, etc.

Unistall, rreinstall to the correct path outside the "mangled" program files hierarchy. Restart your PBEM games from scratch.

(NB installing to a folder outside of /program files will also make some other legacy games or applications work that "failed" to work post XP)
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2020, 07:06 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Exclamation Re: PBEM Fail Problem

Quote:

guess is that the security feature doesn't like that my ancient Windows 8.1 doesn't store the game files in Program Files>Shrapnel Games>The Camo Workshop>WinSPWW2>PBEM Games. It insists on storing them in Users>User>AppData>Local>VirtualStore>Program Files>Shrapnel Games>The Camo Workshop>WinSPWW2>PBEM Games. Even though the game is located in the former location. Ask Andy about that, would you please?"

Yes he is correct. His "ancient Windows 8.1 doesn't store the game files in Program Files"

And as Andy pointed out the GG does say don't install into Program files in any windows OS > Vista.

Early versions of the game installer pre vista did install to program files but we changed that and we changed that so long ago it's nearly forgotten about so "Did you install into Program files" is not the first thing we think about when things like this happen.

He need to re-install his game into C: and then you can both PBEM,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	facepalm.png
Views:	380
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	16068  

The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: