World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old November 4th, 2011, 08:52 PM

Private

nkvd-crazyivan is on a distinguished road
Default Can i have English Please

Hi all this is my first time playing WINSPWW

I have had all the Stellpanthers series for years...

Just got back to the game everything works as it should i love the new screen res..

Just a couple of QS......
Can i get back the generic names in English for the unit names, because even though i am learning when choosing German units be for battle etc its very hard for me to quickly scan and select units when they have there native names.

It was much easer and quicker to just look up German commandos etc etc ... i know most of the unit names but i don't want to really have to go through picture and unit states to pick what i want.

Also is there anyway to speed up the battles when the AI is having its turn i know in SPWAW you could just keep hitting a key to speed up things.
Old November 4th, 2011, 09:39 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can i have English Please

Navigate to the game folder, then to the game notes sub-folder and double click on translations.htm. That will open in your browser and provide the info you need. (You may want to play in windowed mode while learning this - or to print it out on paper). Eventually you will have the names in your head & not need the crib sheet.

As to the "speeding up" thing - the game does not have any such facility. The AI will take whatever time it needs to "think" - and our game runs through the AI loops a few more times than the original code did (and has other AI routines added).

Andy
Old November 5th, 2011, 12:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

Hi there! Welcome to the forum!

Actually I myself have trouble knowing their english counterpart. But by glancing through the Unit Info (when buying my troops) I can tell exactly what unit that is. You can see the unit class/type just below that unit's native name on the buy screen. So, if you see a Spaehtrupp on the Unit Info, you can just see below it that it is a scout type unit. But this won't do if you're looking for a formation's English name, for example, you won't find the english name in the buy screen for a company formation called SturmPionierKp, this you need to see the individual units to know what that formation is actually.

Also, when you're mid battle, you can see the unit type/class of a given formation by pressing the H button for headquarter roster screen. You can find it on the middle and right part of the screen where the units & subordinates are listed.

Cheers!
RightDeve
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:54 AM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road

On the other hand, I would like to express my appreciation for the OOBs using actual native names for various units, rather than generic English translations. It brings some nice flavour to the game.

So thanks to everybody who has contributed on that front.
Old November 5th, 2011, 12:03 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

We ran a poll a few years back on this issue.

6,124 people viewed the topic

84 people voted

40 liked everything the way it was and the other 44 were split evenly that it would be nice to have at least the formation names in English and having the formation and unit names in English

Given the vote was so close and that over 6000 people didn't bother to vote I came to the conclusion that at this point there is little point in changing what already exists since it's clear no matter what we did there would be strong opinions about it on both sides and really, the vast majority of people just don't care one way or the other.

Don
Old November 6th, 2011, 08:56 AM

Private

Gurachn is on a distinguished road

The big draw for me of SP has always been the flavor of realism, so I think having the units in the local language is a nice addition.
My only thought would be that it would be good to take it a step further and include at least all the major powers, i.e. the Soviets and Japan.

I'm guessing that there must be a Russian or two in the community who might be able to do this, and I think I could probably manage the Japanese unit names if you were interested.
Old November 6th, 2011, 11:29 AM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurachn View Post
The big draw for me of SP has always been the flavor of realism, so I think having the units in the local language is a nice addition.
My only thought would be that it would be good to take it a step further and include at least all the major powers, i.e. the Soviets and Japan.

I'm guessing that there must be a Russian or two in the community who might be able to do this, and I think I could probably manage the Japanese unit names if you were interested.
This could make it REALLY hard to identify the units, maybe harder than hungary?
Old November 6th, 2011, 01:01 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

What did I write in post #5 ??? The issue, one way or the other is closed. What exists will continue to exist and we are not going to add or take away any more because, right now, we have a more or less balanced consensus and I'm not going to do anything to upset that.

That said, there is now a mods section of the forum. Feel free to create your own.

Don
Old November 6th, 2011, 02:00 PM

Corporal

Kartoffel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkvd-crazyivan View Post
Hi all this is my first time playing WINSPWW

I have had all the Stellpanthers series for years...

Just got back to the game everything works as it should i love the new screen res..

Just a couple of QS......
Can i get back the generic names in English for the unit names, because even though i am learning when choosing German units be for battle etc its very hard for me to quickly scan and select units when they have there native names.

It was much easer and quicker to just look up German commandos etc etc ... i know most of the unit names but i don't want to really have to go through picture and unit states to pick what i want.

Also is there anyway to speed up the battles when the AI is having its turn i know in SPWAW you could just keep hitting a key to speed up things.
The game is easy to "speed" up if you know which settings to alter. After double right-clicking on the game in Windows navigate to the "Misc" tab.

My settings are:

Map Scroll Sensitivity Zone 16 Pixels
Scroll Speed 35 Milliseconds
Show ID Numbers No
Show most rangers in Hexes
Shotgun V-Hex% 25
Interface Mouse Click On
Graphics Delay 22 Milliseconds
Unit Move Delay 25 Milliseconds

These last two options are the most important, you can try my settings but you may need to use lower or higher numbers as your game speed is dependent on the power of your computer.

Within the game itself, in the preference menu, I turn the message delay all the way down so that it is off.

With the following tips you should be able to make the game go as fast or as slow as you desire.

--------St. Thomas Aquinas