.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old March 11th, 2012, 12:45 PM

Private

cool_hc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Colonial Conquest - MA - (Running)

Well I have no problem declaring Ryleh the winner.

Anyways here's Brief AAR for Caelum:

I initially started off with Jotenheim to my east, Arcosephale & Ryleh to me West, and Marignon to my south. After the initial expansion and organising NAPs with Arco, Ryleh and Jotunheim, my first war started off with Marignon.
Initially my war was successful, with my flying units I managed to get grab almost half his provinces within 2-3 turns, before he was able to begin his counter-offensive against me. My strategy revolved around a raiding strategy where I would snatch more provinces than he could take back, forcing him into a losing defensive war.
As Caelum's main weakness is defense, I knew I had to avoid letting him make any serious counter-attacks on my lands.
Thankfully, his forces were mostly split up into mini-armies that weren't deadly by themselves, but would have been a problem if i let them converge into one. But my raid strategy was able to keep his forces split up and preoccupied.
The only set-back I received, was when I stormed Marignon's capital for the first time, Marignon managed to pull off a major victory against me. I believe this was much publicised in the this forum. However, what he didn't mention was that it was a pyhrric victory for him. He lost most of his ground troops that he couldn't replace, whereas I was able to rebuild within a few turns.
After regrouping, i finally took control of the war, and it was the beginning of the end for him.

However, just when i was about to deal the finishing blows to Marignon, Arco cancelled our NAP, and I was forced into a temporary defensive war on the Arco front, whilst trying to finish off Marignons last armies & forts. Utilizing the same raid strategy against Arco, we reached a stalemate, where he won most of the battles, but they were always pyhrric in nature, so he could not capitalize on them with invasions into my lands. By then, it became a battle of attrition, which I had the advantage in money, gem, mages. I literally had to whittle him down bit by bit, trading the same provinces over and over again. Only after I finally finished off Marignon, was I finally able to go on the offensive against him. After storming his most strategic castle, i wiped out a large portion of his mages and effectively won the war. After 50+ turns of constant warfare was i finally able to consolidate my gains and rebuild.

At this stage Abysia, Ryleh & Shinu were locked in a stalemate in their war against Pythium, with no obvious victor. I wasn't sure what to do next. I figured there would would be showdown with the eventual winner, so I needed more lands/gems/forts, hence my decision to attack Abysia next. The war was oddly swift without much resistance. However this was my biggest mistake, as Ryleh & Shinu finally defeated Pythium to the point where I knew I no longer had a chance to defeat their alliance. At that point i knew it was inevitable they would cancel their NAP against me at the same time, in order to break me.

When the time came, I knew my only hopes lay in a Pythium comeback. So my strategy was to split up my forces in two. 40% in the northern continent to fight in a series of defensive actions to buy me time, whilst the other 60% of my forces in the southern continents focused on an offensive campaign of liberating Pythiums castles, and taking back as many Ryleh land provinces as possible.
However, with Shinu's enormous victories over Pythium, my fate was sealed, and my 60% southern army no longer had any purpose. And the final nail in the coffin for me, was when Shinu wiped out my entire 40% northern army, cutting off all escape routes.

I think if i were to replay, i would have attacked Ryleh before attacking Abysia. He was most vulnerable at this point. But ultimately my greed killed me.
I wonder could I have taken either Shinu or Ryleh if I had fought them 1v1 ?
I'm also curious who would win between Ryleh and Shinuyama in the end if they continued ?
Please let me know your thoughts.

Anyways, Hands down My best MP game ever!

Thanks for a fantastic game.
Old March 11th, 2012, 02:07 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Bullock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Colonial Conquest - MA - (Running)

A very nice game indeed !
I think Pythium would have killed me very fast without the help of Immaculate, or at least make me fall back into the sea. From that point i think Pythium could have taken the lead then... or Shinu maybe.

Anyway a big thanks to my mate Immaculate who did a great job !

@mockin: do you have a conj site in the fort where your pretender is ? If so Agartha had a conj & construc site next to his cap lol.