.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old September 2nd, 2016, 11:09 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: A0 as Aircraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp10 View Post
Good suggestions but unfortunately it is a historical battle and the A0 for this represents a General who did not land till the third hour which will be scenario#3 in the saga.
Then in Scenario #1 & #2 A0 is the radio link to that general and NOT a unit. Stuff it out of the way (but on board) and stuff will work much more smoothly...
We agree it appears that the A0 unit ought not be an aircraft, or vehicle.

I am curious about the first two scenarios, the scenarios before the arrival of the general. What are the force composition in the first two scenarios.

Knowing what the scenarios are about will help determine how (and where) to position the A0.

Personally, battalions on down my A0 is in the thick of the fight.

If we are concerned about spotting and fire control that is better represented by an FOO as noted in previous posts.

Is this general going to parachute out of an "aircraft," or step off a helo?

In other words, it would be most instructive to know more about the third scenario.

=====
Old September 3rd, 2016, 01:35 AM

Corporal

jp10 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A0 as Aircraft

1st scenario is the first 90 minutes 0530-0700 (30 turns) of an airborne assault by 2 battalions. A0 is in an EC-130 ABCCC.
2nd scenario is SOCOM raids to the north of 1st scenario location during the same time period as 1st scenario. A0 same.
3rd scenario is a continuation of 1st scenario, 90 minutes 0700-0830 (30 turns, A0 lands turn 20 and transfers CP to ground location. Events from 2nd scenario overlap into 3rd which is why the break between 1st and 3rd.
I have each turn envisioned as '3 minutes' to replicate the tempo of the real events.

It is only the first two scenarios that it has a 'no home' problem.

Currently in my playtesting I have the A0 in a plane on the left bottom map edge. I am not moving it around. I am content with it but am just trying to find best solution for other players and avoid code conflicts.
Old September 3rd, 2016, 08:21 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

When I take a look at the code this winter I think I will have a look at whatever is selecting the cursor - there may be a simple way to get it to advance on to an on-map unit (if there is one!).

Otherwise - just tell the end user to press N key to get to first playable unit in your intro text if A0 is off-map on deployment.
Old September 3rd, 2016, 09:21 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
When I take a look at the code this winter I think I will have a look at whatever is selecting the cursor - there may be a simple way to get it to advance on to an on-map unit (if there is one!).
Would this include not having units that fled off map, then rallied, showing up as you N through your force? (ie RTB Helos)

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old September 3rd, 2016, 12:33 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Would this include not having units that fled off map, then rallied, showing up as you N through your force? (ie RTB Helos)
The problem I had was that it selected the next unit after A0, since A0 was off-map. But that unit was an off-map unit (reinforcement). Sine there were no visible friendly units, it was not until I either pressed N, or examined the map more closely that I realised that there were actually some friendlies to play with !

I need to look at the code that is selecting units, and ensure it is an actual on-map unit of some sort. (the N key does this correctly - so it is probably the routine that sets the initial unit cursor that is (probably) not skipping past any allowed unit type that happens to be a reinforcement). Once that is done, even if say BB0 was the only currently on-map lowest indexed unit then at least the player would have the initial map on a turn centred on BB0, not on the top left with no friendlies in sight (as was the case here - the friendlies were deep South of the top right edge). It'll use the top left since anyone off map is at -1,_1 internally (the reason the original SSI game sometimes had fire-fights between "off-map" units since their code did not correctly check for off-mapness and all units that are so of both sides, live at that hex location.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old September 3rd, 2016, 09:18 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Potion Re: A0 as Aircraft

What aircraft have you selected as the ABCCC. This is doable. What are the AA threats to the EC-130?

We could modify EW rating and/or lower AA threat capability with vision experience and morale modifier changes.

I was thinking of an AC-130 Gunship stripped of weapons with boosted EW, radio, and vision.

This would give a simulation of the EC-130 within the scenario.

=====
Old September 3rd, 2016, 10:17 PM

Corporal

jp10 is on a distinguished road

When I had made the A0 into an aircraft I just replaced it with a c-130 and renamed it as EC-130. Since it was advised to keep it as a ground unit I have taken a C-130 and renamed it as an EC-130 and loaded the A0 into it. It stayed well away during the battle in real life but the AAA threats are Zu-23-2 and quad Czech MK53 guns.

It works OK since I don't move it but the game will not let it spot artillery. This is not crucial for me since the only fire support in the first scenario is 3 AC-130 gunships. I edited attack helicopters into AC-130 so they are on board and do not have to be called as arty.

Last edited by jp10; September 3rd, 2016 at 10:28 PM..