.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 24th, 2004, 08:59 AM

Private

Budee is on a distinguished road
Default Is this fun multiplayer?

I read a great review about this game on computer gaming world. Sounds like fun. Is this mostly a SP game? Is there enough folks to do MP and how long do those games usually take to setup, play and finish?

Thanks in advance
Old July 24th, 2004, 09:16 AM

Captain

Saxon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is this fun multiplayer?

Live music is best and making love is no fun alone. I think the game is very good single player, but MP is much more fun. The community is active and you can hook into a game easily.
Old July 24th, 2004, 04:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Its mostly a multiplayer game though solo isnt too bad. Always enough people to start a game. Maybe not all 17 nations, that would mean waiting awhile for all the slots to fill up. But easily 5 or 6 can be found in a day when you want a game. There is an IRC channel which is instant game but kindof a luck roll.

Finish? I dont want to scare you off. If a game is one turn a day then of course finishing can be a long way off but its a very interesting way to play. Its like those chess-by-mail you see people playing on TV. You spend all day thinking about strategy.

Actually very few games really finish. They tend to run until its clear who will win. Again, the chess analogy would be that there is rarely a surprising end-of-game move. Usually more of a "checkmate in 7 moves", everyone sees that and knocks over their king. But it takes ALOT longer to get to that point than it does in chess. There is definetly no "5 moves into the game everyone sees where its headed and quits" type of strategys for THIS game.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 24th, 2004, 04:48 PM

Corporal

Lex is on a distinguished road

i've also been curious as to how many turns most MP generaly get to before its obvious who's gonna win.. i've been reading old threads and it seems like games go to about 70 turns sometimes.. is that average or the exception?
Old July 24th, 2004, 04:55 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

70 turns doesnt sound bad as a common number. Yeah that might be right.

Depends more than anything on the map I think. Id say that in just about any game if a player has 50% of the map then unless someone has been strongly researching a particular nasty surprise then the game can probably be called. Variations of course, if he was spread real thin and everyone was waiting for that before surging forth. Ive seen big turnarounds in a game, sudden alliances to take down the leader, some that really dragged out to the Last province. But you can see what I mean. At 50% of the map then someone might at least broach the subject of an "end of game" call so map size I think has alot to do with it. IMHO

[ July 24, 2004, 15:57: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 25th, 2004, 08:23 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Personally, the game is still lots of fun for me in SP, after about a year hooked on the series (started with the first game). And, I'm having lots of fun playing MP too.

PvK