BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > TO&Es
Notices

Old May 15th, 2010, 05:31 PM

First Lieutenant

blazejos is on a distinguished road
Default Goliath like vehicles

That was a great idea to add to this game a moving mine in form of Goliath. Goliat during WWII was not alone in fact was only the smalest one

There was also a a secound biger vehicle called Borgward IV http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borgward_IV
used by germans during Warsaw upspring http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eksploz...li%C5%84skiego (unfortunettly no english links)

Metod of use this vehicle was different than in goliath. Operator drive them to obstacle buenker etc. and left a carried mine with mechanism without leving vehicle then inside his tankette go back to his lines and when was in safe distance remotly exploded mine. German left one of this vehicle as a trap during upspring and allow "capturing" and leater intiate explosion.

But in fact first was Russians with his Teletanks in midlle of thirtys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletank which metod of use was comparable to Borgward they deliver a explosives to place and retrat before explosion. They was even more advenced because was wireless remotely controlled and operator was in another tank in safe distance. They was used in early rusian campaigns like Poland , Finland and begining of Barbarossa.
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:47 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Goliath like vehicles

in the game, those vehicles can't be simulated on their specific roles, i believe this has been discussed before, the goliath for example, had a small load of explosive, too small to be useful, also had the cables problem, the teletank can't be simulated, as command tanks don't exist, also note that all units are considered to be crewed by men, so they get supressed, crew killed, or routed.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:59 AM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

Perhaps the Soviet ATk dogs would be considered a 'moving mine'.

IIRC, the Russians trained them by putting food under tanks; then when released against German armour the idea was that they would go under the German tanks...

But I think in the noise and confusion of combat, many dogs returned to Russian lines. Which must have been a bit awkward.

I also seem to recall that someone made an ATk dog mod for SP at one time. I'm sure I remember seeing an ATk dog icon. I'll have to see if I can find it.

cheers,
Cross
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:12 AM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

Found the SP ATk dog mod. Here's the link:

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...highlight=icon

And I found some info in Wikipedia (for what it's worth) that suggests they may have been more effective than I had heard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dogs

Cross
Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:32 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Re AT dogs the article I read they were indeed trained to go under tanks & the training did included engines running to get them used to it. One big flaw engines drivetrains etc sound diffrent so given the choice they head for the one they are familiar with
Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:36 AM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP View Post
in the game, those vehicles can't be simulated on their specific roles, i believe this has been discussed before, the goliath for example, had a small load of explosive, too small to be useful, also had the cables problem, the teletank can't be simulated, as command tanks don't exist, also note that all units are considered to be crewed by men, so they get supressed, crew killed, or routed.
Thanks for that info,was wondering about the goliaths.
Good reason (expecially the supression factor) not to put much serious thought in using them in this game