.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

View Poll Results: How you you feel about the nationalized OOB's ?
I like things just the way they are 40 47.62%
I'd be happier if at least the formation names were in English 22 26.19%
I'd be even happier if the formation names and the unit names were in English 22 26.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 10th, 2009, 05:54 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,695 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Question "Nationalized" OOB's

This is a poll concerning the "Nationalized" OOB's in SPWW2. Specifically the two Spain's, both Italian OOB's, both French OOB and Finland. To a lesser extent It also concerns Hungary and Germany although really......if you play wargames you know what a "Panzer" is though maybe not a Finn "Psv Pataljoona"

We would like to find out just how most players who have used or tried to use these OOB's feel about these being done to a large extent in their national language.

Although we have provided translations of the terms it is felt that many people may be avoiding these OOB because sorting out what "Panssariautot" is in the Finn OOB or "Esc AMR mixte" in the French OOB's or what a "Camions Pesados" is in the Spanish OOB's can slow things down somewhat.

A few release back we switched all Hungarian formation names to English leaving the unit names generally Hungarian. The response to this change was ........nothing at all. AFAIK nobody has ever commented one way or the other. At the time we tried the "Nationalized" OOB's it was felt this would add a new more "realistic" dimension to the game. For some it was an unwanted added dimension but generally is really never been a "hot" topic but we'd like to see how people feel about this. We will certainly consider changing this ( or leaving it alone ) if it is indeed an "issue" for people but only if there is a serious response. Ten or even twenty people voting isn't going to change anything. We'd need to see a really serious number of responses for a switch to English . If this is an issue we'll hear about it......if not then we'll know it's not so if you feel strongly about this one way or the other.....PLEASE VOTE.

Thanks

Don

Last edited by DRG; May 10th, 2009 at 06:03 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2009, 09:06 PM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Nationalized" OOB's

I'll have to think a little before voting on this one. While it would be nice for it to be "easier" to immediately know what is what, I prefer the more historical terminology. This may be due my prior military background and interest in history but for me at this moment, I am leaning heavily toward "I like things just the way they are".
Old May 10th, 2009, 09:22 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Yes being "english only" impaired.

I would like to know exactly what i'm buying.

But like the unit's obb class be in native for sake of realism.

I did vote for #2 though.
Old May 10th, 2009, 09:47 PM

Sergeant

RVPERTVS is on a distinguished road

Altough I speak spanish and understand italian I would like them to be all in english. I´m Glad you mentioned it Don: In fact I had some issues with the German OOB at first the way it is now until I got used to it. Is it posible to include an alternative file for those who want to pick units by their original names?

Keep Cool!
Old May 10th, 2009, 09:59 PM

Sergeant

PatG is on a distinguished road

I prefer the national languages names both for colour and to emphasize differences in doctrine and design.
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:40 PM

Sergeant

runequester is on a distinguished road

On one hand, I like having the real names, as its more authentic, but it does make it extremely hard for me to pick, say, a spanish army and actually know what sort of grunts I am picking.

I think the option of having english formation names, but nationalized unit names is a good one.
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,695 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPERTVS View Post

Is it posible to include an alternative file for those who want to pick units by their original names?

When I converted the Hungarian OOB to English formation names I included a copy of the original OOB in it's own custom OOB folder. ( Magyar nyelv OOB-- if a player doesn't know what that means he won't have the least bit of interest using it ) However, on reflection this wasn't the best idea because I haven't been ( and won't be ) keeping two sets of OOB in sync with any changes to weapons or units. On one had this isn't really an issue because the Hungarian OOB has been stable for quite some time but keeping two sets of OOB's for France, Vichy France, Italy , RSI, Spain and Republican Spain plus Finland and Hungary ( and some would suggest Germany ) is not going to happen. It also complicates PBEM were every player has to ensure they are using the correct OOB.

As I mentioned at the start. Nothing will happen without a large response for change and if there is a consensus for change it's more than likely only going to be formation names unless there is a huge overwhelming call for full change and if there is I can only see that happening in stages. But right now what we are trying to find out is just how many people have an opinion one way or the other. Typically polls on this forum have very poor response and so far this ones no different. As I write this there have been 73 views and 6 votes and that tells me the vast majority of players don't care one way or the other ( which, in retrospect, should have been one of the voting categories )

Don
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:34 AM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

I finally voted for:

I'd be happier if at least the formation names were in English

I had to think about this for a while. I speak only english, and sometimes struggle with that . (After all, that's why we fought the war, so we all wouldn't end up having to speak German )

However, I enjoy learning some of the original language names for units and equipment; and some nuances are lost in translation.

I also very much appreciate that this is an international game and community, and don't think english should be the exclusive language used.

But in the end, the one thing that we almost all have in common is at least a basic grasp of english. It's the closest thing we have to an international language.

Using english for only the formations is probably the best compromise. I think it will speed up the OOB learning curve and encourage people to experiment with a greater variety of nations. But we won't lose the orignal flavour of the units.

cheers,
Cross
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:48 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

My view formations in English for easy buying, unit names as are for flavour when playing. I did not realise Hungary had changed but perhaps I played them since changed because they were
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:59 AM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

One great reason for the scenario hack editor... RENAME your units!!!
I find myself going through the unit purchasing menu actually looking at all the differnt units available in the game. Coming from SPWaW it is unusual to see the units and formations in their true names. It adds an international flavor to a game based on a historic event, that did effect the whole world!