.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 29th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Corporal

mehrunes_dagon is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Dominions 3000 v0.81 - lots of new indies, new map (using the brand new map comma

To begin with, i like the mod and insectoid nation especially (and currently laying my eggs in Oni capital, playing single-player against mighty AI). It really feels like space conquest.

Aezeal, there are some bugs.

1) There is reference to non-existent monster 2404

2) The mod does not work under Linux due to case-sensitivity

To make it work, i had to make symlink to Dominions 3000 from dominions 3000, and rename some files:
mv 2721_Blue_Alien_Large_space_1.tga 2721_Blue_Alien_Large_Space_1.tga
mv 2716_Kraken_Small_1.tga 2716_Kraken_small_1.tga
mv 2716_Kraken_Small_2.tga 2716_Kraken_small_2.tga

Those are the errors i encountered, and there could be more (i am in an early phase of the game). I suggest that all file and directory names get lowercased, and .dm file changed accordingly
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:19 PM

Corporal

Default galaxy map

By the way, how many players the Galaxy map can hold? Each time i start with 9 nations, 2 nations die on the first turn. Is this a bug or feature?
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:22 PM

Corporal

Default ?good monsters to wish for?

I am new to the Dominions 3000 universe.

If i make it to wish stage, whom do i wish to finish the game? Space eel, whom else?
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:04 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3000 v0.81 - lots of new indies, new map (using the brand new map comma

The galaxy map can hold as many players as there are large planets. IIRC there are as many races as there are major planets as well, but I could be wrong about that. I'm not exactly sure off the top of my head why some of them instantly die off if that's the case. Insectoids makes sense because they have dying dom. Without their god awake they are quite likely to die the first turn. I can't remember if anyone else has dying dom.

As for wishing, I have this feeling that you can't wish for mod nation units. So you'll have to be boring and just wish for gems, seraphs, rudra. That sort of thing.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:50 PM

Corporal

Default summon mod creatures

No, it is possible to summon mod creatures, at least in epotara realm

I've just summoned dragon of fate, ancient wyrm, with 2 claws, only lacking commander status
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

Korwin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3000 v0.81 - lots of new indies, new map (using the brand new map comma

Looking at this Mod ATM, some of the starting provinces seems to be brocken.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
The galaxy map can hold as many players as there are large planets. IIRC there are as many races as there are major planets as well, but I could be wrong about that. I'm not exactly sure off the top of my head why some of them instantly die off if that's the case. Insectoids makes sense because they have dying dom. Without their god awake they are quite likely to die the first turn. I can't remember if anyone else has dying dom
Started a Game with all nations as human players. 3 nations where without capital and units.

Fake Edit:
The insects are supposed to have no capital gem income?
Old July 30th, 2012, 09:59 AM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

The insects if they are based on the amos mod are weird, so probably yes.
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old July 31st, 2012, 03:44 AM

General

Yeah, the insects were based off of the amos mod and while aezeal did make some changes, he didn't make many. If the insects had a starting income though it's entirely conceivable it was removed just to make the insects less powerful. I don't honestly remember at this point.

I'm not sure why you had a problem with getting nations either. I've had that problem before with no starts maps and ended up having to set the starts by hand but that seemed to be caused by coastal start nations, and having other nations randomly fill up those slots. I don't recall having that problem before on the galaxy map with Dom3k. The map and mod were made a long time ago though and I guess something could have broken? But TBH I can't really feel too interested about supporting the mod to investigate.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old August 7th, 2012, 03:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

Korwin is on a distinguished road

I think I got it. The map is only for 7 nations.

Did 3 tests with 9 nations (pictures below), 2 with 7 nations. The tests with 7 nations worked without problems.

First test:

Two nations missing,
Ulm

and R'leyh

Both dead on turn 3:

Test 2:
R'leyh again

and the Dragons

All in the same province?
Ah, someone allready there...

Test 3:
Ulm again:

And the Commonwealth:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
The galaxy map can hold as many players as there are large planets.
And there are only 7 large planets. (and some smaller ones).
Old August 7th, 2012, 08:15 PM

General

Yep! That is indeed the problem. Back when I made that map I think there were only 7 playable nations. And the large planets seemed to me like the only fair start locations for the majority of races. So that's where I set start locations to. Apparently Aezeal also wanted the cluster of planets in the top right to be a start location for one player. Probably the thing to do is try setting specstarts for two of the 9 nations. These should be the bugs and the orks. Give those two some of the worse start locations, and it will sort of balance them since they're the strongest nations anyway. Not that it will really matter since the computer doesn't know how to play either nation properly, so it makes them a lot weaker than they should be. But at least if you played one of the two it'd get a little bit less silly.