.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old April 30th, 2015, 01:03 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Feedback

There's no rush or urgency but if anyone plays the Makin Atoll scenario ( 456 ) I would appreciate any feedback as this was my first stab at scenario design.

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2015, 07:57 AM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Feedback

I had a go at it earlier today, but had to stop at around round 17 (when the reinforcements showed up from the lower edge of the map).

I did not achieve particularly much in those turns. Initially, I delayed my LVT landing a bit to ensure that they would not try landing when the artillery bombardment was going on. Speaking of the artillery, since a lot of it is pre-programmed and not under player control, it might be nice to provide some info in the scenario description about how the bombardment is supposed to advance.

My initial landing wave started advancing slowly in the close terrain around the landing area, while the LVTs headed back to the sea. However, I wanted to wait for the tanks to show up before starting a serious push, and this took quite some time since I opted to unload them at the edge of the shallow water and then slowly wade them in. One of the light tanks got stuck, the rest made it safely ashore. Out of the tanks that made it ashore, one got blown up by an anti-tank gun, while the rest took out a pillbox and immobilised tank. My initial infantry wave managed to secure the area around the landing beaches against some scattered opposition, while the follow-up waves where still wading in by the time I had to quit.

This scenario seems to require some patience, since it takes quite some time to get all the forces ashore, at least if you follow the instructions for unloading the landing craft at the edge of the shallow water. Furthermore, the terrain and well dug-in defenders tend to mean that attacker needs to advance slowly and methodically.

On the other hand, the defenders tended to be very passive, staying dug-in in their positions (though maybe there is a chance of Banzai counter-attack in the late game). I did not notice any indirect fire from the defenders, which also made them feel pretty passive. There may not have been much in the way of indirect fire assets available, but even a couple of those small type 89 grenade launchers providing indirect harassing fire would have made them feel more active (and would have forced me to push in faster from the beaches, instead of getting shelled).

The map itself was very nice looking, and there seemed to have been quite some attention paid to detail. I especially liked seeing those wrecked vessels in sea.
Old May 1st, 2015, 10:48 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The initial arty routine that the player does not have control over ( as it's a set Naval Bombardment ) is designed to land in advance of even the most aggressive player who ignores the shallow water unloading suggestion. The AI *may* decide to drop short but it would do that anyway. It's not under player control because I didn't want it under player control as it a pre-planed general naval bombardment NOT something the ground commander has control over

Don
Old May 2nd, 2015, 09:21 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

When 8.1 is released the Txt file will explain the naval Bombardment plan a bit better
Old May 4th, 2015, 11:35 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

Got as far as middle T23, at which point had to get some Z's. Rough going, many tanks immobilized but enough survived to make some progress. Looks like a fair chance to win but the Sons of Nippon are going down hard. Saves attached for your amusement. Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Makin T23.rar (133.8 KB, 136 views)
File Type: rar Makin T14.rar (130.7 KB, 142 views)
File Type: rar Makin T6.rar (117.2 KB, 136 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to jivemi For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2015, 06:28 AM

Second Lieutenant

Thumbs up Re: Feedback

Update: OK it's over. Final score 4104:599, with casualties of 283:713 and AFV/Bunker losses 1:25. It ended after 36 turns with a US Army rifle squad adjacent to the last enemy objective in the east (top of the map). Had it been taken it would've been a DV but that's the breaks. Alas, I didn't start plotting artillery until Turn 17 so it serves me right.

The initial plan was to penetrate inland, taking the south-central (middle-right) objective opposite Yellow Beach, then splitting west and east (bottom and top) hoping to take fortified defenders in flank or rear. While the first VH fell easily enough subsequent attempts to advance were stymied by careful placement of defenders and the aforementioned neglect of artillery.

What was most frustrating was the VH on 31,51 which is a couple hundred meters southeast (or upper-right) of the western (bottom) anti-tank clearing. There's no way to get tanks there without going through trenches or swamp. After waiting until turn 20 for a belated arty barrage the infantry STILL couldn't take it, getting badly chewed up as they staggered forward through the undergrowth. Fortunately a light tank managed to get through the muck a couple turns later, engaging pinned defenders successfully, but not before more infantry had been bled in desperate attempts to break through.

By that time the eastern (top) breakout had occurred. After a pillbox guarding the road had been taken out infantry came pouring through with armored backup. The curiously placed enemy HQ was discovered, put to flight, hunted down and finally destroyed. An anti-tank ambush further along the road was suppressed without serious loss and from then on it was largely a race through more open terrain off the road--which was blocked with more wire and obstacles--to the eastern (top) objectives. (Might've made faster progress if tanks impaled themselves on barbed wire, but there wasn't any guarantee that tank hunters or ATG's wouldn't be waiting for 'em.)

Meanwhile "down west" the ring of doom remorselessly closed in on the anti-tank clearing there. Reinforcements from Red Beach bided their time until accompanying light tanks, artillery bombardment, and LCVP fire from ashore had pinned or even annihilated defenders before moving forward. Surviving infantry and still-mobile tanks from the opposite direction methodically advanced into the trenches, blowing away stunned defenders with grim determination. (It was something of a novelty to discover multiple bunkers in the same hex, but they suffered the same fate regardless.) Unfortunately a light tank (56 points) was lost; together with the early loss of a showboating LVT 2 (35 down the drain) it was enough to deny a decisive win, in spite of failing to take the easternmost (top) objective.

A very well-balanced scenario, and the attention to historical accuracy is appreciated. While amphibious assaults into jungle, swamps, trenches, barbed wire, tank obstacles, etc. are not everybody's cup of tea it's very challenging, which makes finding ways to solve problems even more rewarding. A most worthwhile experience for anyone willing to be patient, plan ahead, and pay careful attention to detail (including in the scenario notes ).

Hope this provides sufficient feedback Don. A couple more saves are attached. Cheers and thanks for a great "first stab." May there be many more!
Attached Files
File Type: rar Makin T27.rar (125.3 KB, 126 views)
File Type: rar Makin T36.rar (117.4 KB, 140 views)
Old May 6th, 2015, 08:00 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Had a mild stroke monday so not feeling all that frisky atm.happy to be able to type with my right hand the left side is f**ked ATM but I'm told this will get better

Don

Last edited by DRG; May 12th, 2015 at 07:39 AM..
Old May 6th, 2015, 09:13 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Had a mini stroke (TIA) monday so not feeling all that frisky atm.happy to be able to type with my right hand the left side is f**ked ATM but I'm told this will get better
Eeek! Get better Don, our thoughts are with you. Please concentrate on your health not the game.

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
The Following User Says Thank You to scorpio_rocks For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2015, 09:14 AM

Second Lieutenant

OK Don hang in there and take it easy. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery. Jon
Old May 6th, 2015, 11:29 AM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road

I would like to join with the above wishes for a speedy recovery!
The Following User Says Thank You to Griefbringer For This Useful Post: