.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 26th, 2004, 08:44 PM

Corporal

Tals is on a distinguished road
Default A Couple of Newb Questions :)

Just purchased the game, really looking forward to some good pbem games (used to be a Stars! player) it seems a long time since I played a good multiplayer pbem.

Somy questions

Just waiting on the game to arrive, should be in the next few days. Is it possible to join a pbem game with Demo and then move onto full Version when it arrives?

Additionally where are the best places to find pbem games, from what I gather the best type of those Autohosted on tcpip which then email out when a new turn is required.

Cross fingers for some great gaming

Tals
Old February 26th, 2004, 10:03 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Couple of Newb Questions :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Tals:
Just purchased the game, really looking forward to some good pbem games (used to be a Stars! player) it seems a long time since I played a good multiplayer pbem.
Im an old Stars! player also. This will do it.

Is it possible to join a pbem game with Demo and then move onto full Version when it arrives? It used to be possible but I think the Last patch messed that up. Since different Versions of Dom2 now refuse I figure the demo probably does also since its still old-unpatched Version. (not an official answer, just a guess)

dditionally where are the best places to find pbem games, from what I gather the best type of those Autohosted on tcpip which then email out when a new turn is required.

No your kindof mixing them there. the tcpip are ones where someone with a machine thats up 24/7 agrees to host (like someone on a cable or dsl connect). Players can connect any time, get their turn, finish their moves, send their turn and then quit Dominions. All one session.

PBEM usually means mail a turn to the host player, when they have them all then they run dominions to host process it, mail back everyones turn. You get the email, save the file to your harddrive, open dom and do your turns then mail back your turn file. (I know you know that one already but we have lurkers)

Anyway the games can be found here or IRC or on a couple of other sites or in the strategy newsgroup. Tcpip is preferred if one of the players can host that way.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 26th, 2004, 10:31 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

In fact, the demo is Version 2.08. If there hasn't been a new patch, I think it would work.
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:26 AM

Corporal

I read somewhere, I think it was on the gonegold forums, that you could set your autohost to send an email via batch file when it hosted. That way your players got an email whenever a turn had been genned, which seemed a neat idea.

I can dig up the thread if it assists.

Best resource for finding an autohost game, I think the tcip (for me) is preferable to the pbem.

Tals
Old February 27th, 2004, 07:36 AM

Corporal

This is the one

http://www.maladjustite.com/dom2_hosting.html

Tals