This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Intel Forum Bar & Grill

Old May 16th, 2005, 08:29 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WALMART Employment Application

No, Walmart has been proven to be damaging to the local economy on more than the usual levels of "big chain coming in". Towns are correct in trying to keep it out. And if I was younger, more motivated by my own ethics, I would probably have the fortitude to boycot it. But Im weak and continue to shop there (but at least I try to feel bad about it)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:57 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

PBS Front Line did a story about the WalMart. "Walmart is it good for the US" I believe it was called that. Look it up. Very interesting peace.
Old May 16th, 2005, 11:02 PM

Corporal

Leslie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
deccan said:
Quote:
Leslie said:
Deccan, its a myth we even need money. Humanity merely can't just do the right thing for the good of it's people ala Star Trek world.
I'm fine with that. I disagree of course, because I do want the good things in life, in fact, I think that these are the only things that make life worth living. But I understand and accept that everyone has their own sense of values of what is "good".
I am not objecting to your objection, merely wondering if you really understood what I have been saying.

I have many skills. I am a capable woodworker, I am a capable teacher. I could just make bookcases if I wanted to, and I could just teach basic history or geography if I wanted to.

And if at the end of the day, I could go and get food at the grocery store, produced by farmers that farmed because they liked being farmers, sold by grocery clerks, that worked in grocery stores because they they liked being grocery clerks. Money would not be required if no one wanted money for doing what they did.

The farmer could get their farm machinery made by companies with workers that enjoyed making machinery in plants.

And the grocery clerks could send their their kids to schools where teachers simply taught becaused they liked to teach.

You see what I mean?

Human society doesn't actually "need" money in the absence of greed. Greed is a petty emotion that keeps us down. It is an immature emotion, and illustrates us for what we truely are, a petty little species.

Our high tech toys can't hide the true nature under the skin of our species.

It is a cycle that we pursue willingly.

Is Walmart "wrong"?
Well only if you think my ideal world would be "better".
Otherwise, Walmart is about making money.
And the business of business is making money.
And unless it is "illegal" certifiably illegal, then objecting to how they make money, is merely objecting for the sake of objecting.
Comes down to just resenting that they have something that you don't.
Greedy competitive behaviour.

If you owned Walmart, would you be happy to be making all that money?
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:02 PM

Brigadier General

Mephisto is on a distinguished road

Leslie, in your world money-and-trade-less world you wouldn't even use a computer. No one would make enough computers just for the heck of it for the whole world while most of the world could not build one.
Economy is a bit more complex and "greed" as you told it (the desire to trade for things I would like to have I call it) is something that keeps the world go round (and not living in my dark cave). Just my 0.02§.
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:07 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Mephisto said:
Leslie, in your world money-and-trade-less world you wouldn't even use a computer. No one would make enough computers just for the heck of it for the whole world while most of the world could not build one.
Economy is a bit more complex and "greed" as you told it (the desire to trade for things I would like to have I call it) is something that keeps the world go round (and not living in my dark cave). Just my 0.02§.
Well said.
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:19 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

But the Federation did it. Are you saying we are doomed to be the Ferrengi?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old May 17th, 2005, 09:42 PM

Major

deccan is on a distinguished road

Here's an excellent critique of Star Trek's Federation, including its nonsense communist economics:

The Fascist Ideology of Star Trek: Militarism, Collectivism, & Atheism
Old May 17th, 2005, 09:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanks, I always knew there was something wrong.
Old January 9th, 2006, 01:20 AM

Private

Sirius is on a distinguished road

I've never stepped foot in a wal-mart. I'm fron Los Angeles. I've heard of one somewhere out of reach here, but I'm not tempted to go down just to save a handfull of nickels.
btw, I can't believe I read that whole application... The part that amused me most was the discount on 'chilly beams'. lmao.
Old January 10th, 2006, 06:20 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

We aim to please.

I can say with some degree of honesty that I was standing in side of a Walmart, along with about 3,000 plus other people, on christmas even. They gave a "the store is closing in X minutes" ever minute until the store's official closing time came and went. Despite having at least 3,000 plus people in the store after closing time, they only had six check stands open.

We got out of there around 10:30 pm. They closed at 6:00 pm. N e v e r A g a i n! - until next time.