.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 21st, 2012, 07:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

ioticus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

I have a UI suggestion. It can sometimes be hard to see exactly where you are recruiting on the recruit screen, especially when you have a lot of recruitment sites on the map, since it covers most of the map. I know you can right click the location to center it, but often times you can't see where it is because the map is blocked by the UI. It would be nice if you could right click a location directly on the map and recruit from there. That way, you can be sure you are recruiting in the right place.
Old January 21st, 2012, 07:36 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

You can. Its a long right-click
(good idea btw )
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
(good idea btw )
Great, looks like they thought of everything
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:31 PM

Private

AngelSong is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioticus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
(good idea btw )
Great, looks like they thought of everything
How lucky. I want play demo too
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

It appears the description of poisoned is wrong. It says if an enemy attacks the poisoned unit the attacker is poisoned. Is the description incorrect?

Also, "action points left" is misspelled as "acton" points left.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:20 AM

Corporal

Flop is on a distinguished road

Alright, I just sat down and read through the whole thread, and since some of the testers have volunteered to answer questions, I'd like to know a little bit more about the magic system.

Specifically, I'd like to know some of the ways that mages gain spells (and the ability to cast higher level spells). I noticed that the changelog mentions libraries, so I guess that might be one way, but I'd like to know more. Examples would be welcome, and so would more screenshots.

I'm one of the guys who thought that pre-ordering would get me beta access, so now that I've actually become interested, I need more information to take the sting off my disappointment (no hard feeling, though, ioticus. I certainly don't regret having pre-ordered ).
Old January 22nd, 2012, 06:43 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioticus View Post
It appears the description of poisoned is wrong. It says if an enemy attacks the poisoned unit the attacker is poisoned. Is the description incorrect?

Also, "action points left" is misspelled as "acton" points left.
Thanks for these reports. The poison stuff is a good catch, I think I last checked that ten versions ago or thereabouts. Both have been reported.

Flop, to learn new spells, Magic Libraries and Cities (which contain libraries) allow learning new spells. All class mages learn new spells when they perform a ritual of mastery and upgrade to a more powerful caster.

For all other mages (like Golden Wizards), the only way to learn new spells is through a library and the only way to learn higher level spells is to possess a magic booster item and then learn the spell at a library. Sometimes you get lucky when you recruit a wizard and they already have a magic booster item (either general booster or a booster for the correct path), in which case they automatically have higher level spells.

When you get a lucky break like that, you generally pile every possible item that increases survival chances on them, because they can be that game changing. Some of the best spells in the game are in the esoteric (i.e. non-class) paths at higher levels.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:27 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

There are also magic scrolls which are an item you can find in the game. Finding one that grants a high level spell can be quite handy. Usually you get it as a prize for taking a difficult site. Sometimes you can glance at a site you are thinking to attack and see that a mage is there with a scroll which is one of those items that can totally decide the attack/no-attack question for you

Unlike Dom3 there does not seem to be a random about picking up items after a battle. If its a helmet, then you will get it after the battle as long as you have someone who has a helmet slot open
Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:40 AM

Corporal

Flop is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, it sounds pretty good. Concerning the sites, can I ask what kinds are in the game? I've been playing a bit of CoE2, in anticipation of this game, and apart from various kinds of settlements, forts and mines, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of different kinds of sites. Off the top of my head, I think the only ones I've seen are temples, gallows and battlefields (although there are probably more).

Hearing about libraries, I'm hoping there will be more of that sort of sites, as in sites that offer something special and specific.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 11:03 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

many. a labyrinth, a sphinx, a mystical column, silver mine, gold stream, shadow wood, archmage citadel, cloud castle, beholder cave, palace of the mountain lord, majaraha palace, brigand lair, dwarven city, elven forest, hoburg factory, skull cave, ziggurat, haunted city, and many many more. Some of the ones I didnt name which (Im looking at the list in the code) I havent even seen yet are spurring my curiosity.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)