.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old March 15th, 2017, 09:05 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 2017 release Map work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post

[]
I do a pass of dirt or some such then buildings, sometimes not quite what I want but just hit undo & do again.
Takes minutes to produce something acceptable.
John

Do you find you use the undo/redo feature of the extended map editor much while making maps?

Don
Old March 16th, 2017, 06:53 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Not a great deal its very useful when you need it, works well in conjunction with the new fill feature. Also handy if you mess something up, especialy if you have placed a feature like a hill incorrectly. Cut & paste to new position often takes me a couple of tries as I am out by a hex or so on the paste.
Anything involving multiple hexes really.
Old March 16th, 2017, 10:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

OK Thanks. I need to know from someone actively map making it they think having more than 12 undo/redo's would be useful or not. I have a test version with 36
Old March 17th, 2017, 07:06 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

If its simple some one might find it useful but I think its adequate as it is. That many errors would probably be quicker to fill back to clear terrain possibly following contours & redo it.
I would probably make a save & then edit as needed.
Old March 20th, 2017, 09:41 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

......not so much if you just added a complicated stream pattern then realised it wasn't in the correct place and every twist and turn was placed individually or if you built up a forest in small amounts with the splatter feature then decided it wasn't quite the way you wanted it.

If anyone wants to "playtest" a 36 undo/redo version, PM me with your email address...just remember it will only work with the CD version

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; March 20th, 2017 at 11:58 AM..
Old May 13th, 2018, 10:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

So I opened the Goldap map, and man, it's got to be the most painting-like and yet realistic map I've ever seen! The colors, the layout of the terrain, they don't look rigidly artificial, but smoothly organic.

How long to create such beauty?

Cheers!
Old May 13th, 2018, 06:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightDeve View Post
So I opened the Goldap map, and man, it's got to be the most painting-like and yet realistic map I've ever seen! The colors, the layout of the terrain, they don't look rigidly artificial, but smoothly organic.

How long to create such beauty?

Cheers!
I have no idea.... an hour here, an hour there in-between other work over a few weeks. I didn't keep track but it went through a number of revisions and one was moving the main hill to the south of town using our map tool cut and pasting. Today the Russian border of the Baltic enclave is almost right at the north Map edge ( but that was unplanned ).

To guess I would say 20 hours but that could be way out .......there was lots of 20 minutes here and there tweaking things

Glad you like it.......... if you try a generated battle on it as the Germans be aware the AI for reasons unknown likes to put a Russian force to the north west that gets trapped by the water

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old May 14th, 2018, 04:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post

I have no idea.... an hour here, an hour there in-between other work over a few weeks. I didn't keep track but it went through a number of revisions and one was moving the main hill to the south of town using our map tool cut and pasting. Today the Russian border of the Baltic enclave is almost right at the north Map edge ( but that was unplanned ).

To guess I would say 20 hours but that could be way out .......there was lots of 20 minutes here and there tweaking things

Glad you like it.......... if you try a generated battle on it as the Germans be aware the AI for reasons unknown likes to put a Russian force to the north west that gets trapped by the water
I see. Maybe smaller maps could be 10 hours or less. I'm planning to create maps for Kaliningrad & northeastern Poland area for a scripted campaign, so this already created Goldap map could come very handy.
How do you crop a map generated from Venhola though?
Old May 14th, 2018, 10:00 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Exclamation Re: 2017 release Map work

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightDeve View Post
How do you crop a map generated from Venhola though?
With the Extended map editor. You can decide how big you want it then make a blank map that size and save it.... then generate the Venhola and select the same size area on it and using the Select tool. Then after that has been cut you open the blank map and paste it into the upper left corner.....you can make the cut from the Venhola a bit larger.

The key word here is "experiment"

Old May 14th, 2018, 11:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post

With the Extended map editor. You can decide how big you want it then make a blank map that size and save it.... then generate the Venhola and select the same size area on it and using the Select tool. Then after that has been cut you open the blank map and paste it into the upper left corner.....you can make the cut from the Venhola a bit larger.

The key word here is "experiment"
Ah.. so what I've been doing essentially.
I thought I read somebody's post in the Venhola thread we can crop the generated map (like "cropping" an image in photoshop). My mistake.

Thanks anyway!