BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Opponents Wanted
Notices

Old June 23rd, 2013, 10:46 PM

Private

jsallison is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for a tussel

I'd call myself an intermediate level spmbt'r but have never pbem'd.

Would like a June 1951, 2500 pt us v ussr open country/forested (aka, no urban though towns are okay) meeting engagement, 250% inf tough everything else either 100% or XXX, fast arty off. Will play either side. Only wrinkle is computer buys the forces for both. You'll be looking at about the equivalent of a short inf bn with an approximate tank company equivalent (separate platoons) with 'some' support. Arty is usually on map mortars though I have seen it buy a battery of offmap 105s/122s from time to time.

Think of it as roleplay. It's 10pm, 5 Jun 51 and a runner shows up at your jeep/GAZ. It's a message from your regt'l CO. 1Bn's CO just had a heart attack in a whorehouse and you're *IT* Get over there right now, sort them out, point them in the right direction and turn them loose. There's a hole in the lines and you need to plug it ASAP.

Based on around a dozen iterations if you pick US you'll see easy 8 shermans, chaffees and an occasional platoon of pershings. As the soviets you're talking T34/85s, IS2 stalins and occasionally a couple T44s.

I'd like to do this mirrored but as I mentioned, I've never done this before so don't know how to pull it off.

If this results in a memorable tussel perhaps do it again 5 years in the future introducing a new generation of MBT's. Though going forward there might need to be an increase in points as things get more expensive going down the road...
Old June 25th, 2013, 07:46 PM

Private

Default Re: Looking for a tussel

So, no grognards out there willing to do potluck? On average, the soviet MBT's will outgun (bigger though I believe the US has rate of fire and fire control) and are faster than the US, better protected too. I'll play either side, as I indicated. Would consider other NATO/WP matchups from that period, UK/EG, FR/Pol, etc. I could do later periods but still prefer a tank company-ish reinforcing an infantry battalion w/random supportage. What say you?

I pass wind upon you! I wave my private parts in your general direction! I raise my kilt and remove all doubt!
Old June 28th, 2013, 08:15 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

You might get more luck if you just played with standard settings rather than 250% infantry toughness.
Old June 29th, 2013, 12:32 PM

Private

Odd that, I started using that setting in response to a thread on this forum a couple of years ago. Folk were beefing that infantry died too quickly.
Old June 29th, 2013, 06:24 PM

Private

As a retired cavalryman I'd have to consider 100% inftough to be the stupid setting (as in my infantry are too stupid to know to duck when someone shoots at them...).

I tried a rematch against the computer dialing the infantry down to 100%. It wasn't pretty. No one is more invested in an infantryman's survival than said infantryman. The rate of evaporation of my and the opponent's squads at this setting just isn't ringing right.

P'raps folk are put off more by the 'computer buys' thing?
Old June 29th, 2013, 09:57 PM

Sergeant

EJ is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Looking for a tussel

NOBODY wants to play PBEM with cpu buying the forces involved. On top of that most people don't wanna play the 50s time period. Try everything at 100% and 80s-2000s time period. Otherwise play SPWW2...ijs.
Old June 30th, 2013, 07:33 AM

General

I have played computer buy PBEM before for both sides, its fine the computer covers all the bases. Only criticism is can leave Command a bit short as did not buy that many companies.
Just me possibly but unless your infantry are running around or its near point blank fire infantry are pretty tough, especially if dug in. Once your talking modern battlefield with decent fire control & the likes of auto cannons the battlefield does become a far more dangerous place for them though.
Old June 30th, 2013, 08:21 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsallison View Post
I'd call myself an intermediate level spmbt'r but have never pbem'd.
If you never PBEM before, then don't set up the game as you would play against the AI.
Learn the aspect of pbem first.
Normaly,,, default settings are used in pbem not ironmen infrantry, and nobody likes CPU buys
Old July 6th, 2013, 06:53 PM

Private

I can go with 100% inftough if that's going to be a deal breaker but 50-60's NATO/WP is still my preferred mix. I'm quite burned out on M1A2 v T-7,8,9(flavor of the decade)and ATGM's and RPG's deployed by pretty much everyone including the ostpolizei and local paper boy.

As far as computer buys, I like that you can count on a short inf bn with the equivalent of a tank company(ish, Really *ish* if you play the French) and a more or less random assortment of support. I like the uncertainty involved. You've not known fear unless you've watched your only platoon of French M5a1's taking flank shots from 150 meters on Czech T34/85's as they go rocketing by, praying that one of them doesn't stop long enough to put paid to the whole operation...

Fortunately the kromuskit and superboo crews held fast long enough for the poilu's to un@$$ the AO. That meeting engagement turned out to be a successful, albeit expensive, delaying action...

Since I appear to be an interest group of 1 I guess I'll crawl back into my bunker and continue beating up and getting beat up by the box.
Old July 7th, 2013, 12:48 AM

General

If you like I will take you on, my return rate will probably not be good though cant do daily, 4 or so a week I would guess. If your interested private message me your email.