.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old October 10th, 2006, 07:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road
Default Dominions 3 and multiple rigs: [Gaming in Person]

I know Doms 3 has hotseat play, but it can be a real pain to hop up from a chair every 30 seconds to 10 minutes with your buddy to play a game! I was wondering what my options are from a LANpoint of view. If I have a router and, say, 4 network capable laptops, how would I go about setting up a little game with 4 PCs, gaming cafe style? I'm trying to get this game into my local hobby store, and one of the ways I can do it is to show them how we can play this game together in the store, rather than at home.

Any help/tips would be much appreciated.

=$= Big J Money =$=
Old October 10th, 2006, 10:22 PM

Sergeant

Frostmourne27 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3 and multiple rigs: [Gaming in Pers

AFAIK you would need to simply do TC/IP. Remember that the host game doesn't use up its own CD key though. You could use a script to automate the PbEM process of course. The problem is, you'd have to write one, since all the people who have them are too modest to share them.
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

ceremony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Frostmourne27 said:
You could use a script to automate the PbEM process of course. The problem is, you'd have to write one, since all the people who have them are too modest to share them.
I posted my script for PBEM Dom2 a long time ago - it should work just as well for Dom3.

http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/thr...b=5&o=&fpart=1
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:56 AM

Sergeant

Frostmourne27 is on a distinguished road

Ahhh... that makes big email games much, much more attractive.
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Frostmourne27 said:
Remember that the host game doesn't use up its own CD key though.
I don't understand this part. Are you saying that two of the players can play off one CD as long as one of them is the host? Or, am I misunderstanding your meaning?

Also, I'm not entirely sure how TCP/IP works when you are on the same intranet. On the internet you just type in an address and join as long as the host has permission set correctly. On an intranet, I know things can get weird. I don't have a lot of experience with LANs, to be honest. I know they're actually very simple though, if you understand the rules.

=$=
Old October 11th, 2006, 07:08 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
BigJMoney said:
Quote:
Frostmourne27 said:
Remember that the host game doesn't use up its own CD key though.
I don't understand this part. Are you saying that two of the players can play off one CD as long as one of them is the host? Or, am I misunderstanding your meaning?

Also, I'm not entirely sure how TCP/IP works when you are on the same intranet. On the internet you just type in an address and join as long as the host has permission set correctly. On an intranet, I know things can get weird. I don't have a lot of experience with LANs, to be honest. I know they're actually very simple though, if you understand the rules.

=$=
We've played many LAN games in Doms 2. Im not entirly sure that how can you set that up, since it wasn't me who connected the comps etc. but afaik you can give a specific IP address for each comp in windows [some "offline IP address"], and it will work perfectly then.
I am also not sure that how many copies the people gonna need, since we all used our own copies.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old October 11th, 2006, 07:32 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
DominionsFan said:
But afaik you can give a specific IP address for each comp in windows [some "offline IP address"], and it will work perfectly then.
I am also not sure that how many copies the people gonna need, since we all used our own copies.
AFAIK:
In a LAN network, each computer has an "internal" IP. That is, a LAN network is just like the internet, where each computer has its own IP, only in this case this is a much smaller "internet", so in the LAN network, each computer has his own IP adress specific to this network.
This network IP is what you use to connect to each other in a LAN network, and depends on how you set up the network (if you are using a router, or the windows network wizard, for example, each computer is assigned his own "internal" IP adress automatically).
As for the number of copies, AFAIK you need a different copy for each machine, though that's just from picking up tidbits over here on the forum.
Old October 11th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Ah yes thats it, internal IP. lol I've forgot that how is it called.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old October 11th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

Internal IPs are most likely in the 192.168.x.y range. Start a command line window and type "ipconfig /all". You'll find a LAN ethernet card listed with IP given.

1 PC has to be set up as "host", though one player might play on this machine, too. You'll have to start 2 instances of Dom3 on this machine. The instance which runs as host does not need a seperate KEY - only the player (clients) need one each.

For hosting, make a seperate shortcut with the following command line options:
PATH\dom3.exe -fsmw --tcpserver --res 800 600 --port 4000 --noclientstart

This will start up Dom3 in a small window, without sound and music, and will take you directly to the "enter game name" screen (hint: if you want to continue an old game, just use its name). After you entered the game name, the server is waiting to accept connections from the clients. On top of the window it will show the local ip and the port its running on (set to 4000 by the command line switch).

Now start up Dom3 on the different players PCs and chose "network game, connect to server", type in the IP and port number given by the server.
If you're playing on the same comp the server runs on, use "127.0.0.1" for the IP, or "localhost" if that doesn't work.

When all players are connected, hit "start game" on the small server screen.
Old October 11th, 2006, 09:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

Bluebird is on a distinguished road

The technical term is NAT, or network address translation, that maps different internal IP addresses to a single external IP address (on different ports).
There are roads which must not be followed, towns which must not be besieged, positions which must not be contested, commands of the sovereign which must not be obeyed. (Sun Tsu "The Art of War", ca. 500 BC)