This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old December 7th, 2005, 10:43 PM

Private

Tamerlane is on a distinguished road
Default Mission Question

Downloaded Starfury recently and have had fun with it. But I have a question on a mission. I am to save a destroyer with a pirate willing to spill the beans on some artifacts. I understand that I am to clear a sector of enemy pirates so that the informant can cross safely. Now there are a lot of pirates-- trouble is I can't even get to the ship before he is destroyed. I warp into the system, look at the map, and try to figure out which group to deal with first--- then I receive a message that the informant's ship, the Digger, has been destroyed. No matter which part of the system the Digger is located, the ship immediately attacks the neareat group of pirates which is suicide. Do I understand the mission correctly? If so, do I keep on warping in hoping that the Digger is randomly placed far enough away from the enemy to give me time to save his suicidal behind?

Thanks
Bob
Old December 8th, 2005, 12:19 AM

Major

douglas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mission Question

To complete the mission, you must either destroy all the pirates or keep the Digger alive for a certain period of time. It is unfortunate that the AI differentiates only between warships and freighters, ignoring the distinction between warships and warships-that-must-survive, and that does make this mission particularly difficult. I had to reload several times before I was able to beat off the pirates before the Digger went on a suicidal charge. Then, of course, I took advantage of the game's short memory and punished the Digger for its stupidity by destroying it myself .

Anyway, I don't think you actually have to beat this particular mission to continue the campaign, you'll just miss out on some money and get a less than congratulatory greeting when you report in for the next mission.
Old December 8th, 2005, 12:28 AM

Private

There's a time limit? That helps. Thanks EOM
Old December 8th, 2005, 12:55 AM

Major

douglas is on a distinguished road

Note that you have to actually be in the system when the time runs out, and for some unknown period before that as well, I think. No warping in 5 seconds before the end to beat the mission.
Old December 13th, 2005, 07:20 PM

Private

Thanks for the help. Wasn't able to get back to the Mission until last night. I won by a fluke. Dagger again was attacking a superior group. I clicked on it to see how bad the Destroyer was hurt-- and kept it targeted by accident with my next shoot. It turned Red (enemy) and the other pirates left it alone. I figure-- what the hey, as long as it is not being attacked. After I got rid of most of the pirate fleet, the Dagger returned to Blue. A cheap win by me, but a win I'll take.

Thanks again
Bob