.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old May 25th, 2009, 08:16 PM

Captain

Skirmisher is on a distinguished road
Post Dug In/Enchrenched Units Effect.

Ok I got the bright idea to add in a few foxholes in the area of a militant base camp. Currently there are only 4 units purchased.

Great I though, that will do for foxholes. So I changed the battle from a meeting to an assualt and dug the 4 infantry units in. I move the 4 units out of the holes and great. Oh no not so great. The 4 units I removed are coded into the ground(dug in)

No matter where you move them they are still Dug in.

So much for that idea.

Question. If during the course of a battle with foxholes or entenchments, another unit not coded into the ground uses the foxhole/entrenched hex. Does that unit benefit in any way from the foxhole or entrenchment?
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:07 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dug In/Enchrenched Units Effect.

This could be wrong but
The foxhole is part of the unit & is placed in its start hex with it.
Thats why when you see a unit that has left its foxhole you see its foxhole to.
Using enemy foxholes trenches is quite possible, takes a turn to get the dug in status.
Very useful if defender has placed close to objectives as enter & throw smoke, when it clears welcome to WW1 as 2 dug in armies now duke it out. No idea if the morale boost I think you get for being in near a fortification applies if it belongs to the other side though.

Why not just place trenches if you do not want units to start in those positions? Also gives benefit of being able to move in them & retain protection. Drawback is they are visible from the off I suppose.
Would suggest buying guns first & having them dug in, as its a base the troops might still be in the barracks but the guns would most likely be emplaced.
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:02 AM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post

Why not just place trenches if you do not want units to start in those positions?
It's node 000 of a campaign,no AUX units allowed.
The player will have an expanded starting area to include the
area where I wanted the foxholes.

Trenches don't seem right as base is supposed to be low key.
But the Pakistani's are coming to get you anyways.
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:05 AM

Captain

Quote:
Using enemy foxholes trenches is quite possible, takes a turn to get the dug in status.
Really? So your saying that a unit can occupy another units foxhole or entrenchment and become Dug In status?
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:12 AM

General

Yes like I said its useful at times, "cheat" I have been known to use if I have APCs that are not up to much is deploy them as a second line of defence. If operating tanks becomes untenable probably due to arty pull them out & take up 2nd line positions evacuated by APCs. You have to be aware that if these APCs enter his LOS he will know the entrenchment locations, not done on purpose but have fooled a player into blitzing with arty there empty emplacements before as they engaged
When deploying on the defence taking into account what happens if the player takes over your fortifications should be a factor & making them a pre targeted arty hex is worth considering so can hit him before gets a chance to dig in. Once enters the hex he will be dug in at the start of his next turn. Bit unrealistic for vehicle maybe as will need to position but infantry are just taking over a hole in the ground.
Can use the same thing for your arty giving them a second emplaced zone to move to
Great fun sticking your MGs in his defences & pressing on if he has set next lot up in sight of.

Last edited by Imp; May 26th, 2009 at 04:41 AM..
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:22 AM

Sergeant

hoplitis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes like I said its useful at times, "cheat" I have been known to use if I have APCs that are not up to much is deploy them as a second line of defence....
not done on purpose but have fooled a player into blitzing with arty there empty emplacements before as they engaged
Well concerning the APC/tank-in-foxhole thing, if we're talking about "infantry" foxholes mmm... yes it's a cheat. Infantry abandoning and reoccupying a foxhole or trenchline to avoid the arty barrage and then "man the defenses" to face the upcoming attack is not an unheard of tactic. It is difficult to implement, case sensitive (terrain and enemy's ability to coordinate his attack) and the risk is to give up, with little or no resistance, your defensive position if not properly executed.
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:48 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I've used much the same tactic VS the AI many times.

In a meeting enguagement the AI will almost invariably shell the hell outta the first victory hex you capture, so I try to grab one as early as possible then evacuate the area letting the AI shell nothing and allow my counter battery to perhaps fire and also allow me to (hopefully) spot some of it's on-board artillery/mortar positions.

In situations where I have to defend I'll move screening units up so the AI encounters them before it locates my main (dug in) defensive positions and again it frequently blows the hell outta nothing.

Such tactics may work VS a live opponent, but would be much harder to implement.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:24 PM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoplitis View Post
Quote:
Yes like I said its useful at times, "cheat" I have been known to use if I have APCs that are not up to much is deploy them as a second line of defence....
not done on purpose but have fooled a player into blitzing with arty there empty emplacements before as they engaged
Well concerning the APC/tank-in-foxhole thing, if we're talking about "infantry" foxholes mmm... yes it's a cheat. Infantry abandoning and reoccupying a foxhole or trenchline to avoid the arty barrage and then "man the defenses" to face the upcoming attack is not an unheard of tactic. It is difficult to implement, case sensitive (terrain and enemy's ability to coordinate his attack) and the risk is to give up, with little or no resistance, your defensive position if not properly executed.
Have never tried to get hull down status in an infantry foxhole with a vehicle as expect it not to work. Infantry & vehicles can gain dug in status in vehicle/gun emplacements. I dont take over enemy ones with vehicles either as they are probably set up to face me & besides the best defence against his arty is to keep mobile
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:57 PM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
I've used much the same tactic VS the AI many times.

In a meeting enguagement the AI will almost invariably shell the hell outta the first victory hex you capture, so I try to grab one as early as possible then evacuate the area letting the AI shell nothing and allow my counter battery to perhaps fire and also allow me to (hopefully) spot some of it's on-board artillery/mortar positions.

In situations where I have to defend I'll move screening units up so the AI encounters them before it locates my main (dug in) defensive positions and again it frequently blows the hell outta nothing.

Such tactics may work VS a live opponent, but would be much harder to implement.
Partly because its more fun than sitting there once you know where the main thrust is a counter attack or hit & run tactics verses any secondary force works well unless he is a canny opponent. Losses sight of his objective & diverts forces & arty to your roving force costing valuable time. If you can make it an inneffective force all units in the area can then head to bolster defences vs his main force or swing in on his flank head for the arty park if you have fast stuff.
Anything that diverts him drawing forces from main thrust & wasting time is worth its weight in gold as he will pay dearly later as time ticks away.
Takes a bit of practice but as said much more fun than just sitting there & carries its own risks.
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:02 PM

Captain

Well I confirmed it, though I didn't beleive it. Ran a little test.

So If I just go ahead and place the fox holes, when the scenario actualy starts, the units used to make them won't be dug In anymore.