.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old September 1st, 2016, 06:32 PM

Corporal

Grant1pa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Delayed Bombardments

[quote=Mobhack;835284][quote=Grant1pa;835281]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post

One thing about this scenario that is mightily confusing, is that the A0 command unit is off map as a reinforcement on a vehicle also off map as a reinforcement. But the off-map vehicle is selected - not the on-map units there. In fact I did not discover any units to play with until I scrolled about the place.

On restarting, hitting the N key will advance the player to select an on-map unit, but even if you actually tell them in your scenario intro text, they likely will not read it (or understand it).

Off-map A0 units can cause confusion, so it is best to have him there from the start - most of the game code is based on him being there (e.g. lists, positioning of the unit selection cursor as here)...
Understood and an easy fix. I'll correct that.

I did play around with the programmed fire on a new basic scenario and have gotten the batteries to fire at the assigned location at the assigned turn. However, I found that I can't set multiple units to fire at different turns. Programmed fire seems to allow only a single turn for multiple units. When I set different arty units to fire at different turns, they all revert to the last unit turn selected. I can work around that though.

Thanks again.

Tom
Old September 1st, 2016, 06:40 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

If you need a unit to fire in turns 1,3,5

select unit, advance firing to turn 1 with the + key, plot what and where to fire
now advance the + key to turn 3, plot what & where to fire
then advance the + key to turn 5, plot what type of fire and what is firing.

That should only fire the plotted batteries, with the plotted type of ammo, in those turns only.
The batteries will not be available to the owning player until the programme is completed (or the owner cancels all programmes with the appropriate key). No need for fiddling with reinforcements.

It is straightforward once you know what you are doing. Only way to redo a programme once you have decided you have made an error is to clear and restart though. Set yourself up a little test assault scenario with 2 or 3 batteries and play with that as a training exercise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old September 1st, 2016, 06:45 PM

Corporal

Grant1pa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If you need a unit to fire in turns 1,3,5

select unit, advance firing to turn 1 with the + key, plot what and where to fire
now advance the + key to turn 3, plot what & where to fire
then advance the + key to turn 5, plot what type of fire and what is firing.

That should only fire the plotted batteries, with the plotted type of ammo, in those turns only.
The batteries will not be available to the owning player until the programme is completed (or the owner cancels all programmes with the appropriate key). No need for fiddling with reinforcements.

It is straightforward once you know what you are doing. Only way to redo a programme once you have decided you have made an error is to clear and restart though. Set yourself up a little test assault scenario with 2 or 3 batteries and play with that as a training exercise.
Thanks, in progress as time permits during my watch. I'll learn it!

Tom
Old September 2nd, 2016, 02:35 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Delayed Bombardments

Very interesting thread.

Thanks Tom for posting.

=====
Old September 2nd, 2016, 02:40 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I've noticed with my own attempts to get the AI to use pre-plotted artillery that any pre plot after about turn 15 is ignored and the AI takes control of it's artillery starting about turn 15ish.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old September 2nd, 2016, 04:52 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
Potion Re: Delayed Bombardments

An alternate solution is to purchase an light observation helo. In Scenhack change the helo from platoon to company. Return to the Editor and cross attach artillery units to the helo. This will give rapid response without problems of exposing an A0 unit unnecessarily while keeping an AO unit with a reinforcement turn.

Also, you could purchase an observation helo, insert a FO in the helo. Make the FO unit a company and cross attach artillery and the helo to the FO.

=====
Old September 2nd, 2016, 05:05 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Light helos are one of the FOO types. No need to insert a separate FOO in them.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 05:18 AM

Captain

Potion Re: Delayed Bombardments

Quote:
Light helos are one of the FOO types. No need to insert a separate FOO in them.
True. However there are a number of design considerations and preferences one may consider.

You may not be comfortable making a vehicle (with it's larger size) a company formation. Additionally, with a Fwd Obs you would could drop him to cover additional areas while the obs helo is covering other areas of the map (increased flexible). And we must consider the small size of the Fwd Obs as well.

=====