Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old March 18th, 2017, 12:22 AM

Corporal

Spledge is on a distinguished road
Default immobilized vehicles

Do immobilized vehicles become un-immobilized at some point during a battle?
Old March 18th, 2017, 12:36 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: immobilized vehicles

Never
Old March 18th, 2017, 03:14 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,216 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Only if they are core and you fix them in the repair screen.

Fixing a tank track takes hours, well beyond the scale of the game. Think about the last time you called in a roadside repair organisation when your car required it e.g. to say change a tyre.

You can however pick up a disabled tank if you have bought a tank transporter unit, once it has made it to the breakdown location.

If it has broken down in a hot zone and is in danger then it is often best to dismount the crew and get them out of there. This is especially true of core crews in a campaign who may have hard-won experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old March 18th, 2017, 08:03 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
You can however pick up a disabled tank if you have bought a tank transporter unit, once it has made it to the breakdown location.
NOTE: only winSPMBT has tank transporter units. No OOB in winspww2 has them

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old March 20th, 2017, 09:17 PM

Corporal

Spledge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Fixing a tank track takes hours, well beyond the scale of the game. Think about the last time you called in a roadside repair organisation when your car required it e.g. to say change a tyre.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
Old May 17th, 2017, 05:38 PM

Private

Nitro Cruiser is on a distinguished road

Always wondered about this. Not so much a damaged vehicle, but one that appears immobilized due to mud or snow, especially a truck loaded with troops. I believe I'd have everyone pushing or another vehicle with a rope. Plenty of photos of troops pushing vehicles stuck in that Russian mud. Most likely too difficult or impossible to program the cause of immobilization for such a minor addition.
Old May 18th, 2017, 05:04 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Cruiser View Post
Always wondered about this. Not so much a damaged vehicle, but one that appears immobilized due to mud or snow, especially a truck loaded with troops. I believe I'd have everyone pushing or another vehicle with a rope. Plenty of photos of troops pushing vehicles stuck in that Russian mud. Most likely too difficult or impossible to program the cause of immobilization for such a minor addition.
One thing you will notice about those photos of troops aiding vehicles in the mud... NONE of them are under fire! This is only after/between battles stuff and again outside the scope of the game during a firefight...

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
The Following User Says Thank You to scorpio_rocks For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2017, 02:29 AM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post
One thing you will notice about those photos of troops aiding vehicles in the mud... NONE of them are under fire! This is only after/between battles stuff and again outside the scope of the game during a firefight...
Excellent point, but also consider that unless you’re a combat photographer (also out of scope of this game, and not in the OOB), you’re not standing around taking candid buddy photos under fire either. If I had a truck load of grunts stuck in a snow drift or mud hole, and there was no visible enemy within 6 or 7 hundred meters or undetected with plenty of natural cover or low visibility (well within the scope of this game), I’d unload them, detach crew serviced arty if towing, and have them rocking that truck to free it. I wouldn’t abandon it without good cause. Would you? Now, a tiny map, with open terrain, on a nice sunny day and sure, it might be foolish. Depends on how bad you need the mobility. There’s always smoke to pop.

With all that said. It’s not like I’m asking for it, as I don’t believe the game engine could model various degrees of broken or stuck. We’ll call it “out of scope of the game engine”. I’m sure it’s been discussed before. Just making conversation with someone wondering about breakdowns, which were properly answered, and tossing out some observations along the way. That’s all, not trying to let a flat tire hold up the assault.
Old May 26th, 2017, 03:35 AM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post
Excellent point, but also consider that unless you’re a combat photographer (also out of scope of this game, and not in the OOB), you’re not standing around taking candid buddy photos under fire either. So less likely to get a photo like this, besides if your pushing, your rife is slung anyway.

If I had a truck load of grunts stuck in a snow drift or mud hole, and there was no visible enemy within 6 or 7 hundred meters or undetected with plenty of natural cover or low visibility (well within the scope of this game), I’d unload them, detach crew serviced arty if towing, and have them rocking that truck to free it. I wouldn’t abandon it without good cause. Would you? Now, a tiny map, with open terrain, on a nice sunny day and sure, it might be foolish. Depends on how bad you need the mobility. There’s always smoke to pop.

With all that said. It’s not like I’m asking for it, as I don’t believe the game engine could model various degrees of broken or stuck. We’ll call it “out of scope of the game engine”. I’m sure it’s been discussed before. Just making conversation with someone wondering about breakdowns, which were properly answered, and tossing out some observations along the way. That’s all, not trying to let a flat tire hold up the assault.
Old May 26th, 2017, 05:29 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

In the game it generally happens in mud, snow, water obstacle or rough especialy slopes. Not really modeling a flat tyre more you broke something or got stuck proper.
Have had instances especialy on rough slopes where rocking has worked but freeing yourself can often be difficult.
Rough slopes so long as suspension is not broken & you dont slide in a dip probably easiest, you can always go very slowly back down if you are not wedged.
Snow seems to normally require a fair amount of digging to get going, mats etc. if there is any sort of slope involved ice or powdery conditions its going to be fun.
Sreams & proper mud trying to get out or press on when its bad can make maters worse.
Once it gets a grip on bodywork it sucks to it very hard to get out of, my worst case took 5 vehicles, 3 on reasonably firm ground and 2 winched one to the other to reach me. Previous attempts just pulled the winching vehicles to me & if anything got me more stuck. You need to be real careful you dont get stuck to get onto your vehicle not in the mud if possible.