.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old November 11th, 2008, 10:57 PM

Corporal

Brummbar is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Tactical Suggestions

Nice work on your AAR RERomine. Keep up the good work!

"One death is a tragedy; a million is a statistic."
Old November 11th, 2008, 11:09 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tactical Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummbar View Post
Nice work on your AAR RERomine. Keep up the good work!
Thanks!!
Old November 11th, 2008, 11:54 PM

Captain

Turn 10

Top edge enemy advance still stalled. They are pushing more infantry up. StuGs just about out of 75mm HE, but the MGs still do the job. The three supporting recon tracks are SdKfz 250/8s are also armed with 75mm and still have plenty of HE. Artillery still hitting the enemy. The enemy suffered moderate casualties from the StuG, track and artillery fire. I'll continue bringing in artillery to disrupt the enemy advance.

The enemy's attack on hill 2 has been broken for the moment. Most of the infantry has withdrawn behind the hill and are out of sight. One Valentine III is still slowly moving toward the gap between hills 2 and 3 with a track and a couple infantry sections. A couple of enemy tracks got hit East of hill 1, but I believe those were from the hill 2 attack. One track is immobilized (by a scout) in the open, but I don't have anything heavy to finish it in the area. The other track got zapped by an MG-42 from above. Since the enemy advance has stalled, I'm going to let my artillery finish firing their plots and allow supply to catch up. If time permits, I will relocate the SPAs.

The enemy advance on hill 3 from the Southeast has resumed. Approximately a whole infantry company is visible. In addition to the supporting Valentine IX tanks, Valentine IIIs and truck mounted 6pdrs are now visible. To meet this, on the Southeast corner of hill 3, there is one infantry squad, one MG-42 unit, one 75mm ATG, two StuGs and three scout units. Seems kind of thin. I'm shifting an infantry platoon and another MG-42 down to support. The reserve tank platoon is still moving around hill 3 and won't be in position until turn 13. In the meantime, the two StuGs are waiting in ambush to try to get a careless Valentine IX or two. I'll shift my supporting artillery up in this sector and leave my recon tracks to handle the infantry heading toward them.

There is a lull in the enemy artillery. I suspect they are re-plotting to hit hill 2 since that is where the most contact has been lately.

Casualties

Friendly: Zero

Enemy: Four tracks destroyed, estimated 30 infantry casualties.

Last edited by RERomine; November 12th, 2008 at 12:09 AM..
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:25 AM

Captain

Turn 11

Enemy top edge advance is still stalled. Hit enemy with direct and indirect fire. One platoon is visible, but the rest of the company is hidden behind the slope of the hill.

Still very few enemy infantry units are visible. One Valentine III tank is still lumbering slowly toward the Southeast corner of hill 2. Another one has appeared heading toward the gap between hills 1 and 2. The track immobilized in the open was killed by a top hit from an MG-42. Supporting Valentine IX and III tanks are advancing West toward gap between hills 2 and 3. They are 600-800 meters out still I pulled my tank company back so I can pick my shots when the time comes.

At hill 3, the StuG ambush paid off. Three Valentine IX tanks were destroyed without any shots taken at the StuGs. One Valentine IX remains. There are also four Valentine IIIs, but the 2pdr isn't as big of a concern against the front armor of the StuG. One truck mounted 6pdr was destroyed by small arms. Artillery hit the troops in the open, but was more harassing fire than anything. I want to slow the infantry down while I continue my troop shift. The advance along the bottom edge of the map has either stalled or the troops shifted to the attack on hill 3. I don't have eyes on them beyond the edge of the hill, but there had been a platoon and a half there last turn. Maybe the artillery has them running.

Still no enemy artillery. With 13 batteries, it will disrupt whatever it hits. I just hope it's too late to help the enemy.

Casualties

Friendly: One casualty

Enemy: Three Valentine IX tanks, one truck mounted 6pdr destroyed, one infantry section dispersed, estimated 15 infantry casualties.
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:38 AM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Tactical Suggestions

Well done AAR and you seem to have things under control. The only thing I would advise at this time is watch for Matildas, they could be still lumbering forward out of sight. Good Hunting Commander.

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:49 AM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerBob View Post
Well done AAR and you seem to have things under control. The only thing I would advise at this time is watch for Matildas, they could be still lumbering forward out of sight. Good Hunting Commander.

Bob out
At this time, I would welcome a good old-fashioned Matilida mounting a 2pdr. I don't like those 6pdrs, but have kept them from firing so far
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:30 AM

Captain

Turn 12

Turn 12 goes to the AI. The king of battle finally showed up, primarily targeting the Northern flank guard. It was the heavy stuff, 5.5in. They got one StuG and one recon track. No crew survivors . Time for the remaining two StuGs and recon tracks to shift. The only good thing that came out of that artillery is some was short and probably hit some hidden infantry as well. It's small consolation, however.

There are now two Valentine IIIs heading toward the gaps between hills 1 and 2. I'm moving one platoon of my tank reserve toward that gap, just in case. This platoon is short two tanks damaged in during the enemy prep fire. There are still four Valentine IXs and two Valentine IIIs heading toward the gap between hills 2 and 3, but tank platoon I withdrew earlier is there. Most of my reserves have been deployed, but the tanks around hills 1 and 2 should be able to return shortly. One battery of 25pdrs also hit the Southern part if hill 2.

The StuG ambush at hill 3 got the last Valentine IX in this area. Small arms got three truck mounted 6pdrs, also. That leaves a few Valentine IIIs and infantry. My artillery hit the infantry near hill 3 and the infantry close to the Southern flank guard.

Some of my scouts in quiet locations have managed to push through and will post near enemy controlled victory hexes. Once the enemy attacks are broken, my units will advance forward. My estimates on enemy strength before the battle seem to be close, but I still feel there should be more enemy tanks.

I've attached a zip file with zoomed out screen prints of the three primary battle locations. Sorry if they are a bit difficult to see, but they had to be zoomed out to see the action in the area. There are a lot of enemy infantry units not visible on the maps due to smoke, low visibility and hiding behind hills, unless I did more damage than I know.

The action is done for the night

Casualties

Friendly: One SdKfz 250/8, one StuG IIIf, estimated 5 infantry casualties.

Enemy: One Valentine IX tank, three truck mounted 6pdrs destroyed, estimated 15 infantry casualties.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Meeting Engagement 1942_07 Turn 12.zip (472.6 KB, 195 views)
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:12 PM

Captain

Turn 13

Back in action.

Northern flank guard shifted South on their hill to avoid incoming artillery. They should have moved earlier. At best, it's generally only safe to stay in position for about 3 turns before enemy artillery can hit. Units should shift at least 200 meters after that and not go where other friendly units were engaging from. The enemy infantry is shifting their move to the South to get around my holding action in this sector. My shift will help to resist this enemy move.

As there is little action on hill 1, I decided to start moving these units forward. Advanced scouts indicate there is no opposition East of hill 1 aside from an enemy FOO. After the move, a couple of batteries of enemy 25pdrs hit the positions vacated. East of the gap between hills 1 and 2, there are now three Valentine III tanks. Enemy artillery hit them as well

The infantry units deployed on hill 2 have started moving forward as well. Smoke from the burning enemy tracks makes a nice area to ambush the advancing Valentine IX tanks, which appear to be advancing without infantry. My overall object here is to capture the hill East of hill 2. That hill will be designated as hill 4. The enemy Valentine IX tanks are heading Northwest toward hill 3. They should blunder into my infantry in the smoke. Light artillery continued to hit the Southern part of hill 2. My reserve tank platoon should pass through the gap between hills 1 and 2 this turn. The reserve tanks in the gap between hills 2 and 3 are holding position at this time. I want the enemy to get locked up with my infantry before they move. Tracks are being moved forward to pull my ATGs off of hills 1 and 2.

The enemy infantry is still pushing toward hill 3, so I'm holding my position there. My tanks have rounded the South side of the hill and are in position to attack within the next couple of turns. One enemy Valentine III tank was destroyed by an ATG. Three more are with the advancing infantry. My artillery continued to hit the enemy. The Valentine III tanks that were heading toward the gap between hills 2 and 3 have turned Southwest advancing on hill 3.

On the Southern flank, the StuGs moved from their ambush position near hill 3 back to the holding action. They engaged an infantry section in the area. The recon tracks shifted to more forward positions. I want to try to avoid the artillery mishap that occurred to the holding force on the other flank. My artillery continue to hit enemy artillery.

Now that the enemy advancing columns have been fixed, my forces will advance and maneuver against them or break out into the open and move on victory hexes. "Charlie Mike", continue the mission. Enemy rear area assets are expected to be 6pdrs, 3in mortars and 40mm Bofors. 2pdrs and 25pdrs are also possible, but not expected. Two 3in mortars have been spotted, but I don't have artillery assets available for counter battery at the moment. Since visibility is low, infantry units will have to lead the advance into the enemy rear area. Tanks will support.

Casualties

Friendly: Zero

Enemy: One Valentine IX tank, estimated 10 infantry casualties.
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Captain

Turn 14

Ten enemy rifle sections now visible on Northern flank. Time to bring in artillery to help out. My SPAs spend the last two turns shifting for when the enemy gets around to counter battery fire. Like me, the AI uses artillery to support attacks first. Counter battery fire is secondary to that purpose.

Action in front of the gap between hills 1 and 2 just increased. Seven Valentine III tanks are now present and my infantry is in the open. My three D formation tanks are in position to strike and my infantry is within 200 meters of the lead Valentines and they have no visible infantry support.. My infantry took a few casualties, but nothing major. I'll probably pepper the Valentines with small arms fire to suppress them and then assault with a few units. My tanks will also try to pick off a few.

Action on hill 4, in front of hill 2, accounted for one immobilized Valentine IX. As hoped, it wandered into the smoke and one of my infantry squads assaulted. I'll try to finish it off next turn. Artillery dropped on the enemy concentration on the South edge of hill 4. Enemy infantry seen running from this location.

Enemy attack on hill 3 has stalled. Maneuvered my tanks forward and took out one Valentine III. The two remaining Valentines traded shots with my five PzKw IVg tanks. Small arms fire exchanged, resulting in enemy casualties. Several enemy infantry units popped smoke and ran. Artillery also dropped on enemy formations.

I'm probing for the enemy flank on the South edge. Friendly artillery continued dropping in the area. It should take a turn or two before I have this flank turned.

Some scout units have pushed 500 meters beyond the engagement areas into the enemy rear.

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 5 infantry casualties.

Enemy: One Valentine III tank destroyed, estimated 25 infantry casualties.
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:46 PM

Captain

Turn 15

Bad turn for the enemy!!

Enemy infantry pushed back with moderate casualties on the North flank. Engaged infantry with two remaining StuGs, recon tracks, scouts and artillery. I'm sending one infantry platoon and an MG-42 team to support.

Enemy Valentine III tanks near the 1/2 gap engaged by infantry and tanks. Two Valentines destroyed, while I suffered light infantry casualties.

My infantry is continuing to advance on hill 4. Encountered some hidden enemy infantry and pushed them back. I also dropped artillery on the enemy. It was danger close, but I suffered no casualties as a result. There were light casualties during the infantry action on the West face of the hill. On the South end of the hill, the immobilized Valentine IX was abandoned. Another IX advanced into the smoke. This one was destroyed. Still another is pushing West toward the 2/3 gap. I will destroy this one with tanks and infantry next turn. There might be one more Valentine IX hiding behind the smoke.

Two Valentine III tanks that were seen heading Southwest toward hill 3 came into range of one 75mm ATG. One was destroyed, leaving one in range. It should be destroyed next turn. The remaining two Valentine III tanks approaching from the Southeast were destroyed by tank and ATG file from hill 3. My infantry the South end of hill 3 advanced forward and engaged enemy infantry in the smoke of the burning wreckage. Enemy casualties were moderate. Artillery also hit the enemy units in this sector.

South edge flank is almost turned. Only visible infantry in this area are retreating. Artillery hit those to convince them leaving is a good idea

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 5 infantry casualties.

Enemy: Five Valentine III tanks destroyed, one Valentine IX destroyed, one abandoned, estimated 35 infantry casualties.