Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old July 21st, 2006, 12:15 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OT: MySpace page...

Sachmo:

Actually, this is not true. They have some pretty big lockdowns on the accounts of minors, especially under 14. For example, you can't add them to your friend list unless you know their MySpace id, their real name, and their email address. You can't even see their page or search for them at all if they are not on your friend list. Of course, kids can always lie, but there are plenty of protections these days.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old July 21st, 2006, 03:15 AM

Captain

Black_Knyght is on a distinguished road

Fyron's dead on the numbers there. My son is 14, and has a MySpace page of his own. He has a small core-group of local friends he chats with and that's it. If he gets a Friend Request from someone he doesn't know he either deletes them outright or shows them to me. I have the password and log-on info, and periodically check it anyway. But, because of the safeguards MySpace has in place it's actually been pretty safe bet overall.

All anyone has to worry about is getting into a conversation with a complete stranger that leads somewhere unhealthy. The same concern ANYONE at ANY age has, if they're careless and stupid.The safeguards for kids have gotten tighter, and MySpace is on top of things. And just a little FYI, places like Yahoo and MSN personals have had the same number of problems, they're just not as widely known because they're not as popular with kids as MySpace.

Old July 21st, 2006, 03:37 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

One thing the modern world has to learn is that the phrase 'perfectly safe' is most likely one of the few true impossibilities - Either that or so close it makes no difference.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old July 21st, 2006, 12:15 PM

Captain

sachmo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
Sachmo:

Actually, this is not true. They have some pretty big lockdowns on the accounts of minors, especially under 14. For example, you can't add them to your friend list unless you know their MySpace id, their real name, and their email address. You can't even see their page or search for them at all if they are not on your friend list. Of course, kids can always lie, but there are plenty of protections these days.
It's actually not true anymore, right? This change was instituted about a month ago, IIRC.
Old July 21st, 2006, 03:37 PM

General

Slynky is on a distinguished road

I have no interest in it because I have my own domain, because most of the sites are screaming examples of tasteless design, and (finally) myspace is sloooooooow as hell !

Anyone concerned about sex offenders, they're NOT just on mySpace...just check your own "backyard":

http://www.familywatchdog.us/
Old July 22nd, 2006, 02:45 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

YOu know what, just for ****s and giggles we should set up some Evil Emperor profiles on myspace. Lord Atrocities ... enjoys destroying worlds, enslaving mass populations, and occationally making war with superior beings just to piss them off.

Dislikes, ships that are better than his, hillbilly emperors, redneck emperors, and smelly methane worlds.

Most destructive thing you ever did? I once blue up a star that destroyed 20 worlds filled to the brim with cute and cuddly furry animals just to hear their death screams.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 03:59 AM

Captain

Black_Knyght is on a distinguished road

Here, here !!!

I second the motion...

As Lord Black Knyght, scourge of the universe, destroyer of Phong, closer of bars and taverns, gooser of young hotties, I say we make a good show of it.

Now, just where did I put all those Planetary Napalm Bombs......

Old July 22nd, 2006, 04:58 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

Lord Narf: Pacificistic and peacefull, loves to build stuff - Right up untill the first military incident, whereupon he turns the entire might of his empire to the entire conquest and/or entire destruction of the offending empire.

(That's actually my default play-style, in a nutshell.)
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 05:54 AM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Supreme Commander Renegade 13:

Expansionist, yet cautious. Highly focussed on technology, and given sufficient time to build forces, will wipe all others from the face of the galaxy...then move on to the next one!

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old August 9th, 2006, 02:13 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Link to Myspace spoof video on YouTube.