BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old August 25th, 2000, 04:18 AM

Corporal

wingte is on a distinguished road
Default Super Stations and Stellar Manipulation

Hehehe,,
Well for you who are looking at building Super Stations to protect planets the way arround them is very easy and only takes 2 cruisers and 1 battle cruiser.
The 2 cruisers need open and close warp point components and the BC needs Cloaking and Destroy Sun. Stratege,, Open warp point, cloak the BC and warp it through. Close the warp point and send the BC to snuff out the sun. Viola,, a nice clean system and the nasty old Super station(s) is gone.
An extension of this is to have additional warp point closers (probably destroyers) with cloaking and send them in immediately to close all the other warp points then snuf the sun after the Last warp point is closed.
I don't know what SE IV AI will do,, but I can tell you that in SE III the AI will eventually start mining the suns. When I then added Mine sweepers to the sun destroying cloaked BC,, The AI put a large fleet at the sun. I am still working on how exactly how to get arround this without a massive fleet. My first plan is going to be creating cloaked planet destroyers and try to destroy the planets depriving the AI of the abaility to maintain the massive fleets.

Now once some form of eternal energy is available,(how many solar collectors would it take to make a super station self sufficent???), it should be possible to put a super station at the sun also. But,,, from what I can see the maintanence costs would make it impossible to build a meaningful attack fleet and keep up research points without sacrificing all inteligence stations. This would probably make it very easy for your opponent to take out the super stations using sabatoge.
Hmnnnn verrryyy Inteerreesstting....

------------------
Wingte
Old August 25th, 2000, 06:02 PM

Corporal

wingte is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Super Stations and Stellar Manipulation

Well,, SE III AI allowed me to destroy all the planets and the fleet refuses to move from the sun. SE III also seems to be cheating since even though the AI race has no planets it is somehow generating enough maintanance points to keep the fleet active.

------------------
Wingte
Old August 26th, 2000, 06:31 PM

Colonel

Master Belisarius is on a distinguished road

Wingte: if you have resources to build a Sun Destroyer, surely you have resources to build a fleet and destroy the Super Station...

Also, note that most of the big ships (DN and Base Ship), and the Super Battle Stations, are useless: you need so many turns to finish to construct it (and a lot of money)... then a good human player never create biggest ships than BC. It's better 5 finished LC, than 5 unfinished DN.

Sometimes the Sun Destroyer it's a good option (against humans), but sometimes not: you need to expend a lot of resources.

Second, if you're playing against the AI, and want an interesting game, I suggest to you play without Warp Point manipulation, because the SE3 AI rarely use the Warp Point Manipulation tech...

Third: with the game master password, change the AI player into human, and you could see that the AI is not cheating.
Old August 28th, 2000, 09:52 PM

Corporal

JenMax is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by wingte:
Well,, SE III AI allowed me to destroy all the planets and the fleet refuses to move from the sun. SE III also seems to be cheating since even though the AI race has no planets it is somehow generating enough maintanance points to keep the fleet active.

I don't have SE3, but in se4, in the settings.txt file there is a setting for mininum empire production. It's default setting is 200 or 2000 (as I recall). So an empire with NO source of resources would still "collect" this mininum amount. Perhaps this is also true in SE3?

Enjoy

------------------
"nothing happens in a vaccum." - me