Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old February 6th, 2018, 11:30 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: MBT's

Don,
1. To clarify the para 4 concerning the VOLKAN FCS where I had the TI/GSR 40 is for the LEOPARD-1T if I confused you there. Meant to "flip it" with the para 2 on that systems 3 different levels above it in Post #773 and forgot. Sorry if caused any confusion.

2. Thanks for the M-48T5 resolution, just ran out of time there, but I see it got you to Greece and not as a tourist. It was well answered though. Another "Rabbit Hole" just a little smaller than most.

3. Russia the T-90M is not for export, it's going into the Russian Army only. I now seem to remember something about this tank, maybe it was posted in the development stage. Will check FIREFOX files I transferred over. My army recognition ref 1 has a good photo as well.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/febr...sian_army.html

I have verified that the T-90M was used in ZAPAD 2017 last SEP per the ref above. It was the largest Russian Exercise since the Cold War which made international News and gave concern to NATO. I found a picture of in the exercise in my search.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/r...elarus-n788741
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.37fcf9f63a90
http://nationalinterest.org/feature/...training-20540

Click image for larger version

Name:	T-90M During Russian Excercise ZAPAD 2017 SEP..jpg
Views:	88
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	15179
Click image for larger version

Name:	1505049160_zapad2017.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	15180 Click image for larger version

Name:	Zapad_2017.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	15181

I'm sticking with my OCT 2018 date for now as posted in my last.
No better way to opeval a tank than to put it into a major exercise, especially of that scope.

Alright back to work today.

Regards,
Pat

EDIT: THIS IS WHY I SHOULD EAT SOMETHING BEFORE I POST. SORRY DON WRONG TANK WRONG COUNTRY IN MY REPLY ABOVE. OK THE T-72MP IS FOR THE UKRAINIAN ARMY, HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING TO SUGGUST THEY'LL TRY TO EXPORT IT-YET. WILL KEEP MY EYE ON IT.

Well at least we have another picture of the Russian T-90M!?!

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; February 6th, 2018 at 11:42 AM..
Old February 9th, 2018, 02:54 AM

Lieutenant General

FYI: Another ZAPAD 2017 Heavy armored Russian unit apparently was also evaluated there. The ref is saying, a Russian military source is indicating that the BMPT TERMINATOR-2 will be received by the Russian Army That would put it inducted into the Army by APR 2018.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/febr...y_in_2018.html
https://www.armyrecognition.com/russ...fications.html

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old February 20th, 2018, 04:06 AM

Lieutenant General

Well the following very good pieces are dealing with some of the issues Europe is having concerning MBT modernization or development. These pieces exam the choices that Norway and Poland face in this issue. The "Driver" is of course Russia who has moved West already and is steadily moving further North as well into the Artic Zone.
http://www.defence24.com/armoured-fo...rade-programme
http://www.defence24.com/mbt-for-pol...olish-industry

I've already reported on the French and German cooperation in the LEOPARD 3/or yes, LEOCLERC.

South Korea has straightened out their K-2 issues and have recently started the production of the 2nd batch of 100 tanks. They will have 300 total upon completion of, for now, the 3rd and final batch of 100 K2 tanks.

Russia of course will have the ARMATA but not in the numbers originally proposed but, in enough numbers that Europe is certainly concerned about them. And this is I get to officially say, "I told you so." It'll be 2021 or later before Russia fields the tank. From the ref. below...

"The Russian Defense Ministry plans to sign major contracts to procure Armata-based armor after 2020. "Acceptance tests will begin this year and will continue up to the end of 2019. We have to reach the finish with new samples in 2020 and will then decide on major serial contracts," Borisov said."

And if that wasn't enough...

"The Main command of the Russian Ground Forces has announced in May 2017, that the 1st tank regiment of Taman division will be the first unit to be rearmed with new-generation Armata T-14. That will happen after 2020 when the new tank passes government acceptance tests and becomes operational. At present the regiment is armed with T-72B3."

Don and I will leave it as a surprise unless he feels it necessary to do otherwise, but our tank issue of a couple of weeks ago continued behind the scenes, it would involve several countries, I think it was three continents, several tanks having started with what we thought were small issues with a T-55 which would lead to one country having I believe 3 whole series of tanks deleted because folks decided we needed them because they were planned to be modernized or bought. Problem was no one ever followed up on them and they ALL died on the vine. And that was just one country. To be fair, a couple were inherited from "SP" the rest however, were not.

Not how I for my part, thought I'd "see the world". Here's your ref...
https://www.armyrecognition.com/febr...n_service.html

Elsewhere the...

The U.S. has recently just started to field the M1A2 SEP V3 and has approved funding for the development of the M1A2 SEP V4 more on that later.

Turkey appears to be getting back on track with the ALTAY and as already posted, will have ANOTHER, like the above ARMATA pushed back fielding date.

Iran well they're about to field their latest MBT it looks like possibly later this year, the already posted KARRAR which looks like a T-72MS but here's what a Russian tank expert thinks about it...

"According to military experts, the Karrar MBT is based on the chassis of the Soviet-made T-72 but fitted with a new turret. The design of the tank seems to be very similar to the Russian-made T-90MS. According to retired Major General Vladimir Bogatyrev, the Karrar is a copy of the Russian-made T-90MS, the most advanced modification of the T-90 family but it uses some features of the American M1 Abrams and British Challenger 2. Russian military expert suggested that, in terms of certain military capabilities, the Karrar is unlikely to match the Russian T-90."

Hhmmmm, So given the last sentence of the last, if it's probably not as good as a T-90, it must have used the worst attributes of the M1 ABRAMS and CHALLENGER 2 and we know how bad those tanks are.

That being said this tank is a quantum leap for Iran and I'm thinking for what little it's worth, probably not as bad as our Russian expert thinks.

So for you geography types, looking at the map and the current nature of the political scene, someone is looking rather contained at least within the next 5 to 10 yrs anyway. Time will tell.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/febr...ered_soon.html

Before I forget but, they're friends (Trying to contain China.) and India was only left out of this well because, they're India. Such potential with their heavy armor but, I wonder if we'll see the ARJUN Mk II or FMBT before the games end. The former is "World Class" and the latter if completed could be a "Top 5" contender.

Anyway off to bed and back to work later today. I hope EVERYONE has a GREAT DAY!!

Regards,
Pat

The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old March 4th, 2018, 05:51 PM

Lieutenant General

Found something I wasn’t expecting to see, so to ease my mind, is South Korea’s K1 MBT still in service? I’m 4hrs from my PC and can’t get to the game. Had to get to bed when I came across an article concerning the K-series of tanks. Many thanks in advance!! Just want to give my brain a rest and then this is floating around inside of it.

Regards,
Pat
this to show what the iPad won’t let me do!

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; March 4th, 2018 at 05:59 PM..
Old March 4th, 2018, 05:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: MBT's

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
Found something I wasn’t expecting to see, so to ease my mind, is South Korea’s K1 MBT still in service?
Regards,
Pat
capt:
Yes, it is

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old March 4th, 2018, 06:13 PM

Lieutenant General

Don,
THANKS! Found an article dealing with an upcoming modernization for all three K-tanks. Base K1 should be around until games end, Your reply assures me of that.

Will post it mid-week when we get back. No hidden work just some FYI stuff. And Turkey with Germany concerning the continuing the circus surrounding the Turkish LEOPARD tanks. Another example of how things can change on a dime and back again!?!

AGAIN Thank You!

Regards,
Pat

Old March 7th, 2018, 01:43 PM

Corporal

RC4 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MBT's

Portuguese Army retires M60A3TTS in March 2018
https://scontent.flis5-1.fna.fbcdn.n...a7&oe=5B052641

Thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RC4 For This Useful Post:
Old March 8th, 2018, 11:50 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Russian tanks for dummies !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oAv9ugRx2g
NOTHING here (probably) Fast Tough hasn't already covered.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old March 9th, 2018, 10:23 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

And just when you thought it was safe to get back in the water sailor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEibU7NiR-M

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old March 9th, 2018, 11:22 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: