.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old May 18th, 2011, 06:47 PM

Corporal

daferg is on a distinguished road
Default USA versus Warsaw Pact 1986-Ferg

My first AAR! Woo Hoo! I have read just about all of the AAR posts here to get ideas. I will keep my first one simple.

Long Campaign
Map Height/Width-70/90
All starting stats (sighting,hitting, etc) are at 100 for both.
23,000 points for both sides
1986 for game year.
Starting in April and ending in September.
Opponents-Soviet Union, East Germany, and Poland.

Core Force:
2 M1 Tank Company
2 M113 Mech Infantry Company
2 M901 Platoon (8 M901's)
2 SPAA Sections (Vulcan)
1 SPSAM Section (Chaperal) (2 Launchers)
1 SAM Section (Hawk) (2 Launchers)
8 M109's (SPA)
8 M110's (SPA)
6 81mm Mortars
2 FIST-V (FO)
4 SP Mortars (107mm or 120mm)
4 AH-1 Cobra (armed with-20mm, rockets, TOWs)
6 Ammo resupply vehicles. (trucks)

First Battle:
Meeting Engagement against Soviet Union. Text box said Fulda Gap.

Map was a random generated one. All victory hexes clumped together running down the center of map.

Map layout-No significant elevation. Highest point on map is 23. Rolling terrain with clumps of trees. No water. One road on northern top of map running from east to west. Victory hex cluster in center of map is on a small hill that is surrounded by buildings but no road. Victory hex cluster in north is along road and on slight elevation. Victory hex south is in a draw with heavy forest to its front (east) and below it (south).

Visibility is 14.

I bought 3 off map 8" gun batteries and a single FASCAM section with support points.

Deployment: I plan to rush to the victory hexes and take up defensive positions there. My core force lacks any real type of recon assets. It will be a movement to contact and then a hasty defense. I deployed my force so that 2 platoons of M1's and two platoons of M113 Mech Infantry to occupy each objective. 1 M1 platoon will provide overwatch while the infantry and other tank platoon advances. I placed one M901 in the north and the other down south. There are slight hills just in front of the deployment line that I plan to occupy on turn one with these. I know that the M68 105mm cannon on the M1's will not penetrate the frontal armor of Soviet MBT's so I need to rely on flanks shots to kill them. The AH-1's were in the center of the map at a high altitude and with rockets disabled. Artillery was scattered in the backfield with alternate positions picked out. The SAM's were placed on low hill masses north and south. The Vulcans would advance with the main body in the center of the map. My HQ's unit is in a stand of trees in the center of the map.

I pre-plotted my artillery as follows: DPICM from the M109's to fire on likely tank staging areas. Mortars to fire smoke along the line of advance. On map 8" (M110's) fired at likely staging areas of mech infantry. I withheld fires from the off map 8" units so I might do some counter battery fire on the Soviet initial salvos. I plan to use the FASCAM on the road to the north after turn three or so.
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:03 PM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: USA versus Warsaw Pact 1986-Ferg

Hi. Some screenshots can be useful
Old May 20th, 2011, 06:49 PM

Corporal

Sorry for the delay between post. I am dealing with some medical issues and some days are better than others. Roman had posted a comment about how screenshots can be useful. I still think these computer things are a passing fad so I don't want to get too educated on them. I am sure they will be gone in a few years. I still have to read post and stickies on how to do screenshots. I know...I know...it is soooooo simple. My VCR still flashes 12:00 and yes I still have a VCR.

My opening artillery shots hit mostly dirt and trees. I bet I scared them though. I thought for sure that the shots on the northern road would result in some hits. Nope. The Soviets fired a wide collection of artillery at me. I lost two M110's and a disabled ammo truck to lucky shots. Most of the enemy shells fell on random locations so it was a draw. I destroyed a 122mm section with counter battery fire from my off map 8" units.

Turns one and two of the battle were moving all elements forward to the objectives. Because of the limited visibility (14) there was no contact. I think the terrain also played a bit into it. I placed my M901's on the hillsides just behind the objectives to provide over watch. As I started to make my moves on turn three, my M1's started to spot several (6 or so) BDRM's moving in the middle of the map. Range was around 1400 meters and my M1's and the BDRMS were moving fast. I tried to get shots off at them but most went wide left. I dismounted my Infantry just shy of the objectives and would capture them on turn four. I have noticed that the enemy fires on the first captured hexes within one or two turns. I moved an M577 with GSR to a small rise up north and he was able to spot the BDRM's. I plotted my on map artillery to the west of the objectives in a guess on where they would be in 1.3 turns. I concentrated most of these fires up north to cover the one avenue of rapid advance along the road.

Next post will cover turns 4,5, and 6.
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:20 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
23k starting pt.s?

Good luck with that AAR!
Go big or go home I say. I think a large enough map is enough to support a combined arms battle with a battalion sized formation. Two companies of tanks, two companies of mech infantry, and support elements. Most of my battles are this large.

I will try to break the post down to one or two turns per. I know I enjoy reading other AAR's and thought someone might enjoy my first go at one.
Old May 21st, 2011, 10:37 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by daferg View Post
Sorry for the delay between post. I am dealing with some medical issues and some days are better than others. Roman had posted a comment about how screenshots can be useful. I still think these computer things are a passing fad so I don't want to get too educated on them. I am sure they will be gone in a few years. I still have to read post and stickies on how to do screenshots. I know...I know...it is soooooo simple. My VCR still flashes 12:00 and yes I still have a VCR.
To capture the screen just hit the "Print Screen"key. The image is saved to the clipboard. Then open the Paint program. Then I put new file, paste and go. Then save in jpeg format. I hope these tips will be helpful.
Greetings
Old May 21st, 2011, 10:58 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

@ Roman

Don't you have to be in windowed mode first?

Been awhile since i've done a screen shot,maybe things have changed.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:33 AM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

I just read the sticky post,so it is possible to do a screen shot in full screen mode now.

Big thanks to everyone, on getting that improvment
Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:15 PM

First Lieutenant

Hi Gila. Sorry I did not answer before. I'm glad you found the answer.
You found the answer in this thread?
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47134
Greetings