.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Land of Legends

Old September 26th, 2005, 05:46 PM

Private

Hells_Kitchen_Gamer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: new to the community

On the one hand, I did give up on online chess once I realized how much I sucked at it. But on the other hand, I doubt that I would have been more likely to stick with it if it used an experience system like Land of Legends.

The rating system has several advantages:

(1) You get to play people of your own skill level. The game isn't as enjoyable for either player if there is a big mismatch in skill level.

(2) It makes every game important because you don't want your rating to go down. When you can just quit a game without losing anything, some people become disrepsectful and just log out because some real world concern comes up.

I think that the people who will find this game will be sophisticated enough to undertand the purpose of the USCF style rating sytem. It works very well for the games at Yahoo or Pogo. I would want to play more games with the USCF style rating system.

I'm not sure exactly how the Yahoo type ratings are calculate, but they seem to go up very fast if you start winning games. My chess rating was low not becuase I got hosed from the very beginning, but rather because I was only able to win against other really lousy players.
Old September 26th, 2005, 06:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hiro_Antagonist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hells_Kitchen_Gamer said:
(1) You get to play people of your own skill level. The game isn't as enjoyable for either player if there is a big mismatch in skill level.
Well, if/when we get to the point where we have enough people playing online that people can afford to be picky about who they play against, I'll be much more likely to implement this sytem.

The problem is that with any indie game, it's very hard to find people to play against people online with. We created a lobby to help grease those wheels, but if you look at a lot of CCG's and other smaller strategy games, it's not exactly Warcraft III or MSN or Yahoo. Those services have hundreds/thousdands of people in the lobby at a time. But games like LOL are very lucky to have even a dozen people online at a time, just because of the generally small number of sales.

I think it's also worth pointing out that the recent major strategy games (Warcraft III, Generals, etc.) using experience/level systems. Once you really start looking at it from a development/deployment perspective, they have a surprising amount going for them. =)

-Hiro_Antagonist
Old September 26th, 2005, 08:08 PM

Corporal

Sammas is on a distinguished road

Price point is a bit rough. Not so much for me because my currency is strong against the US dollar, but I still had to think twice.

If you offered digital downloads, you could cut out fixed overheads (CD printing, shipping etc), and then price better for the market, taking into account online player satisfaction (ie. half price, double sales may be equal revenue but the expanded player base would make it a better option).
Old September 26th, 2005, 09:37 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Combat Wombat is on a distinguished road

We like our CDs

A* Se+++ GdQ $? Fr! C* Css Sf-- Ai% Au M+++ Mp* S@ Ss++++ RNSHP Pw++ Fq+++ Nd++ Rp++ G++++ Mm++ Bb+++@ L+ Tcp--
Get the newest Version of Invasion! here: http://www.secenter.org/

Old September 27th, 2005, 01:26 AM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sammas said:
Price point is a bit rough. Not so much for me because my currency is strong against the US dollar, but I still had to think twice.

If you offered digital downloads, you could cut out fixed overheads (CD printing, shipping etc), and then price better for the market, taking into account online player satisfaction (ie. half price, double sales may be equal revenue but the expanded player base would make it a better option).
The overhead from the CD and such is much, much less than half of the price. If we went digital only I could only see cutting off 5 bucks a game (if that). The game has alot of built in single play plus a lobby service not found in most indepdent games.

The problem is I think some people see this as your typical download casual strategy game, however I think this game is head and shoulders above most games in that category. It might not have the complexity of Dom2, but it also isn't a quick strategy game.

Again there is a instant reaction to think the CD an manual are the reason for the price, but it doesn't really figure that much into the final price. The final price is simply based on the quality and depth of the gameplay.
Old September 27th, 2005, 02:34 AM

Corporal

Sammas is on a distinguished road

Land of Legends is a fantastic game, I agree, but sadly optimal market prices are rarely in line with a game's greatness. And it's pitched at an audience which might expect certain price points. $5 does become significant when selling at a lower price.

Anyway, sorry for griping about digital downloads. It's just that a week feels like an eternity when waiting for my copy..
Old September 27th, 2005, 10:24 AM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road

Nope not a problem. We will offer digital downloads for this product as well, but we are waiting for another project to finish before we feel comfortable doing this with a much larger number of our products.

And no problem on griping, we all want the best game for the best price. Just wanted to give our side on the issue too .
Old September 27th, 2005, 05:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hiro_Antagonist is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to step in and give a bit of context to the price here, at least from the developer's perspective. =)

On Shrapnel's side, they have to pay for manufacturing, printing, and assembly. On top of that, they have to pay for the time of Richard, Mindi, Tim, Annette, Scott Krol, and everyone else on their side that's required to keep things running smoothly. And don't forget, they offer free shipping. That's about a $5 value that comes right of the top before anyone else sees a penny. And Shrapnel does deserve to make *some* amount of profit from the game. Otherwise all their hard work, investment, and risk won't have actually earned them anything!

On my side, I have to pay myself (I worked 1.5 years full-time on this project), plus the 4 other people who worked hard to make Land of Legends happen. As it is, I'll be lucky to break even on my debts, accumulated while living on a small fraction of the money I could easily make if I went back and worked at any of the software companies here in Seattle.

This is actually very typical of most indies, except that most of them are not fortunate enough to be working with Shrapnel, without whom I would almost certainly have lost tens of thousands of dollars. Instead, my game will get to be enjoyed by (hopefully) thousands of people, and I should be able to afford to make a second game!

So I want to thank each and every one of you who support Shrapnel as a publisher, as well as indie developers like us (Tiny Hero). You enable us to create unique games that you simply wouldn't be able to play otherwise.

If, on the other hand, you feel that LOL is out of your price range, we totally respect that and hope that you at least enjoyed the demo, and hope that you'll keep us in mind if circumstances change at a later date.

-Hiro_Antagonist
Old September 27th, 2005, 07:17 PM

Private

Richie is on a distinguished road

I got the game last night in the mail, popped it in, played it until I went to bed,got up and played in the morning before work. That should speak for itself.
It's inspiring me to write my own game. I also just saw an article in Business week about "casual games". Very interesting....