This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 5th, 2004, 07:55 PM

Private

DarkAngel is on a distinguished road
Default New Victory Condition

sorry if this has been discussed before......with all the talk about "stacking" systems above one another,even creating a maze as one person described it gave me an idea for a new type of game. someone creates a map,in this map he creates a system with say,just one planet(can be something else), then he hides for example 5 of these systems within stacks throughout the quadrant. The game starts with let's say 5 people (just for example). The object of the game is to find,conquer,maintain all 5 "hidden" systems. Just for kicks,and to ensure someone fulfills the requirement (since i don't see anyway to fit it into an actual game victory condition) the game/map maker is also a player,but not out to capture the sytems,but rather to stop everyone else from doing so,kinda playing the spoiler. this would add another interesting element and since he knows where the sytems are would know when someone captures them to declare a winner. I'm sure this idea could use some tweaking,like maybe only giving the spoiler certain resources so he can only build certain ships( to reduce advantage ) or something like that,but anyways,there is the premise,was just an idea of mine.Take from it what you will
Old March 5th, 2004, 08:11 PM

Lieutenant General

Puke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Victory Condition

interesting. sounds like it would work with the old hypermaze quadrant mod. basically, it gave you a randomly generated quadrant with a tightly meshed grid of systems (6 or 8 warp points per system, i think). most systems were random movement or damaging, or otherwise harmfull. a few normal systems were scattered in there, but not very many. it was hard getting between habitalbe systems, especially in the early game. and because some of the systems were harmfull or damaging, you cant rely on automatic path finding, you have to plot your course jump-by-jump, or use the 'avoid system' options.

check it out. very cool.
Old March 5th, 2004, 08:14 PM

Colonel

gregebowman is on a distinguished road

Speaking of victory conditions, there is one from Galactic Civilizations that I do like. If you acquire enough cultural points, you can win the game. And if you have enough points in a system, other planets may rebel and join your empire. That's one aspect of that game I do like. I wonder is something like that can be developed for SEIV or SEV?
Old March 5th, 2004, 08:57 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
sounds like it would work with the old hypermaze quadrant mod
It warms my heart to see someone remember Hypermaze.

I've been thinking I should update it for v1.91; I have a couple ideas that I could add.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by gregebowman:
Speaking of victory conditions, there is one from Galactic Civilizations that I do like. If you acquire enough cultural points, you can win the game. And if you have enough points in a system, other planets may rebel and join your empire. That's one aspect of that game I do like. I wonder is something like that can be developed for SEIV or SEV?
I hope not. There is a disturbing trend to have these silly "cultural victory" options in mainstream strategy games of late... People don't get seditious and break away from their nation to join a nation with better playwrights! Ridiculous!
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 5th, 2004, 10:08 PM

Private

before this heads too far off my thread topic....how about my suggestion? any comments,ideas,suggestions?
Old March 5th, 2004, 10:38 PM

Lieutenant General

Puke is on a distinguished road

yes, good suggestion. try using the hypermaze mod to make it work. you can find it on capnq's link
Old March 5th, 2004, 10:51 PM

Private

Siegebreaker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Imperator Fyron:
I hope not. There is a disturbing trend to have these silly "cultural victory" options in mainstream strategy games of late... People don't get seditious and break away from their nation to join a nation with better playwrights! Ridiculous!
Yes they do.

The Soviet citizens that rebelled did so because they wanted what they thought western culture was.
But that its not a good example, since they didn't go over to another country, though the ex-republics became independent, and some have now US air bases, which are really pissing off the "Bear reborn"

Better examples:
1- England asked Prince William III of Orange to take the British throne because he was protestant and the actual king of England, James II, had converted to catolicism.
2- Several small German states joined Prussia on their own. (Oh well, half on their own)

3- The Kingdom of Pergamo went over to Rome. (By its king will. Does it count?)

4- Texas!!!

5- Eastern Germany after the fall of the wall.

6- Hong Kong.

7- Bangladesh's independance?

8- Sicily, from Spanish to Naples.

9- Not sure about Calais.

Ok, you got a point, most of the cases above were influenced by a lot more than culture.

I'll check on the ancient world to see if any case can be blamed solely on culture.

Still, cultural influence its a very strong force. Just look how in every election in Puerto Rico they decide to remain an "American colony".

On the other hand look at the influence that Islam its having on SouthEast Asia these days.
Though no city have changed hands, as far as I know.

Maybe cultural influence should be important in making alliances, but not in planets going over to the other side.

Independentist rebellions might also be considered as a possible result of culture.

[ March 05, 2004, 20:52: Message edited by: SB ]
Social drinker: +1 influence
Obsessional trainer: +1 morale to troops, forced march
Devout: -1 influence
Administratively inept: -2 management

Retinue:
Old March 6th, 2004, 06:32 AM

Private

well i don't want to use any specific mod to make it work or anything,like i said someone creates thier own map or something, and this isn't for me really.I just threw the idea out there in case it interested anyone and they wanted to use it,with thier own tweaks and mods or what not.
Old March 6th, 2004, 07:10 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Right. Cultural influence is never the whole story as it is treated in games like Civ 3 and GalCiv. Such games use overly simplified systems. Military stength, for example, is usually a huge factor in such situations. It is not considered in these games though. :-\
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.