.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 30th, 2008, 09:17 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wish-List for Dominions 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grottnikk View Post
The tactical level change (#7), though, is one that I think might work well because it would make the Pretender even more godlike - I'd think controlling the individual movements of my minions on the battlefield would be more of a power trip. Oh well, to each his own. I love Dominions either way
Maybe once you Ascend and are no longer just a pretender to the thone, you get to have perfect control of all units. If you are interested in playing out tactically-rich scenarios using Dom3's rules and units, you might check out Omniziron's project "The Fourth Age" which he started recently. It's a roguelike inspired by Dom3, and KO said he doesn't mind if Omniziron invents a future history for the Dom3 nations as long as he doesn't mess up past history. So if you want to make up a 18th century Abysia you might consider contributing to that.

Personally, though, I liked and enjoyed Master of Magic and I liked tactical battles in that game, but it wouldn't seem right IMHO to have tactical-level control in a game where Morale is an important consideration. Imperfect control is part of the game.

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old December 31st, 2008, 07:46 PM

Corporal

AstralWanderer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
IMHO to have tactical-level control in a game where Morale is an important consideration. Imperfect control is part of the game.
Imperfect control could certainly be implemented with a tactical system (and is currently present in part with the rout rules). I would certainly like the option of being able to play out individual battles tactically (perhaps with limitations like "Pretender/Prophet must be present" or "Battlefield must have Dominion level X") since the scripting system seems inadequate in dealing with all the possible options and it requires players to understand how the AI works in order to best position their units.

However I think the big killer feature for Dominions 4 would be a release date!
Old January 1st, 2009, 11:57 AM

Corporal

Dectilon is on a distinguished road

The game needs 3 things as I see it, to break into the mainstream:

- Better visuals obviously. There's a pain barrier there for a lot of people, sadly.

- A better interface. There are still a lot of details that make the game hard to play and somewhat confusing. They're too many to bring up in a short summary.

- Tighter control of units. I'm not talking about micromanagment, but things like target priority, the ability to force spellcasting (i.e have a caster cast a very powerful spell even if the AI deems in unnecessary) etc. Having your mage cast a strenght boost on your priests instead of your knights and not really knowing why is sure to put people off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dectilon For This Useful Post:
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:37 PM

First Lieutenant

Loren is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dectilon View Post
The game needs 3 things as I see it, to break into the mainstream:

- Better visuals obviously. There's a pain barrier there for a lot of people, sadly.

- A better interface. There are still a lot of details that make the game hard to play and somewhat confusing. They're too many to bring up in a short summary.

- Tighter control of units. I'm not talking about micromanagment, but things like target priority, the ability to force spellcasting (i.e have a caster cast a very powerful spell even if the AI deems in unnecessary) etc. Having your mage cast a strenght boost on your priests instead of your knights and not really knowing why is sure to put people off.
Also, separate battle orders.

Battle plans for: Battle, skirmish & assassination. The skirmish plan would take effect in any situation the game currently thinks is too weak for gems. If you want the big guns to be used in an apparently wimpy battle you script them for skirmish.

I would also like to see options like "cast offensive" or "cast defensive"--telling the guy how to behave for the rest of the battle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:47 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Also, separate battle orders.

Battle plans for: Battle, skirmish & assassination. The skirmish plan would take effect in any situation the game currently thinks is too weak for gems. If you want the big guns to be used in an apparently wimpy battle you script them for skirmish.

I would also like to see options like "cast offensive" or "cast defensive"--telling the guy how to behave for the rest of the battle.
I like these.
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:40 PM

First Lieutenant

Bananadine is on a distinguished road

This isn't about Dominions 4 so much as it's about Dominions 3, is it? Well here's what I want to see patched in: different fortress icons on the main map! Just a simple little change, purely cosmetic, requiring only a few dozen new icons, perhaps even easily derived from the existing fortress close-up images (the ones you see when you're looking up a fortress' Administration etc.). A great city, a kelp fortress, and a wizard's tower should not look exactly the same. This change would improve the interface and the role-playing experience both!

Another, less likely change I want: more wraparound map support! The map generation is quite cool as it is, but... it always generates corners (as far as I know), and corners are LAME. If the world is really supposed to be flat, then let it be round at least, and surrounded by some kind of stylized void (possibly starry), not by water. (Okay maybe that one is for Dominions 4.) But more importantly, let it be round! I mean, without extensive manual labor on the user's part.

My greatest and least likely to be satisfied desire (for Dominions 5, to be released in 2014 for your Xbox 1080): Full integration of the multiplayer game threads, the game client, and LlamaServer (or its functional equivalent), so that I don't have to have five browser tabs open all the time to play in two multiplayer games, and so that I don't have to keep track of the ever-changing mappings between forum names and nations, and so that I can send somebody a message and get the answer within a single turn without having to worry about whether or not they ever bothered to hook up their forum account to their e-mail address. (N.B.: All of this hassle is still a pretty good price for such an awesome game as Dominions 3.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Bananadine For This Useful Post:
Old January 7th, 2009, 06:11 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

You didn't play Dom1, did you? The worlds were round and flat there.
Emergency comic relief
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I believe I updated a round dom1 map for dom3. I think it was called Circlani, if you want to look it up.
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:12 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

There is also Harbringers map generator which does wraparround maps very nicely.
http://www.dom3minions.com/RandomMap...ll_Wrapped.htm

Im working at restoring my daily-generated map library to include some created with his program. First I want to play abit with his new sprite option. His latest map examples are quite promising.
http://paradoxharbinger.wikidot.com/screenshots
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:56 PM

Private

Wellsee is on a distinguished road

I just read the first couple of pages and the last, and am merely a newbie player, but I'll still chime in.

I wish there was some sort of 'clear shot' order for archers. It is frustrating seeing them shred my own troops trying to hit a straggler or two. It isn't advanced intelligence (of human or computer types) to recognize disastrous shots.

I also get frustrated when gemmed mages use them in overpowered battles, like when a handful of militia are thrown at my main army. So the suggestions for things like battle vs skirmish vs assassination orders ring true.

And finally, as a now and probably forever *single* player type, I want to either be able to configure keys or move the the damned 'e'nd turn key away from 'r'ecruit key! I'm never closer to punching my keyboard than when I make that mistake.