.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old July 17th, 2009, 10:22 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road
Default DAR: Taiwan vs China - Who Turn Out The Lights?

Taiwan vs. China

Mission: Meeting Engagement, Sinai, 7/2009 - scattered objectives.

Enemy: Reinforced Battalion – 2-3 Armor Co, 3-4 Infantry Co (Mech, Motor and/or Light), 2-3 Artillery Btry, plus SAM, AAA, etc. Average force experience, ~70.

Terrain: Map = 100x100. Moderately wooded and hilly terrain. Hills range from 10-20 in height and are scattered about the map. Open patches are also scattered around the map with many wheat fields and just plain “fields”. Isolated rough patches can be found as well. There is one east-west dirt road in the bottom third of the map that turns to the south southeast at the enemy deployment line and one north-south road 100m west of the enemy deployment line. Visibility = 2!!!!!!

Troops: “Light” Infantry Battalion w/divisional attachments - 3 Infantry Co.and 1 Bttn. HQ Co. (1 Commando Plt., 4 107mm Mortar sections, 2 AT sections, 1 Infantry SAM section, 2 Scout sections and one FO). Support units are 1 Artillery Bty (4 155mm TRF1 FH, off board), 1 Ammo Truck and 2 jeeps (unarmed). Average force experience, ~80.

Time: 33 Turns

Analysis

My force is basically light, going without transport aside from a few support vehicles. It seems well suited for the terrain found on the Taiwan maps. The three line infantry companies need to be deployed within supporting range of at least one other one since it takes too much time for troops to shift significantly. In general, all sections of the front need to be watched, but not necessarily defended. Since my force reacts slowly to breaches in the line, I need to be able to see danger in advance. At a minimum, all high speed avenues of approach must be covered. The long range and accuracy of modern weaponry allow this to be done easily.

On this map, there is only one road to worry about, the one running east-west. This road will have to be denied to the enemy and utilized by friendly forces if possible. The north-south road will be of little benefit to either side. Such roads are only useful for shifting troops along the battle line. By the time my forces get there, the enemy forces will be defeated. For the Chinese, they will be well across that road when the fighting starts. IF they fail to cover the east-west road (very unlikely) and I can get to the north-south road easily, I could use it as a flanking route. I’ll keep it as an option, but I don’t expect this to happen.

Visibility, well basically there is none. Heavy reliance will be placed on units with thermal imaging and image intensification equipment. Neither the Chinese nor Taiwanese regular infantry have TI or II. This will raise the importance of specialized units, AT, scouts, SAM and elite troops, which typically have some vision enhancements. Infantry forces should keep to wooded and covered areas to avoid engaged by tanks without means to respond. This is normally the case anyhow, but it is compounded by the low visibility. Tanks actually have a chance to spot the infantry before the infantry spots them, a rare instance in WinSPMBT battles.

Trees and low hills help balance out the visibility problem. No one can see through trees and the hills are low enough that the trees block the line of sight of units on the hills in most places. There are enough trees to provide concealed east-west avenues of approach. The lone exception is a relatively open area (1000m x 500m) along the southern edge of the map. It’s not an area for infantry to be traveling through, but will make a nice kill zone for enemy armor if it shows up.

One area of concern is the objective placement. Specifically, the distant objectives controlled by the enemy will be hard to reach. Normally, there is a road somewhere close to those that infantry can run down once the resistance has ended and capture them. Not so in this case. The far objective is 1.2km east of the north-south road at its closest point. That point is 2.3km north of the intersection with the east-west road, which is 1.9km down the east-west road from my deployment line. My infantry would have to move over 4km down the roads just to have to do another 1km+ cross country. That wouldn’t be bad except they will have to fight their way through the enemy forces first. Near the end of the battle, I might be able to chance running my jeeps with some troops down the road. Nearer objectives aren’t as much a problem since they are all either in the woods or within 200m of a significantly wooded area.

Plan

Areas of operation have been broken up into three sectors: north, center and south. The overall objectives are simple. Units in each sector will push forward capturing objectives, destroying enemy forces and supporting as necessary the goals of units in adjacent sectors.

North sector forces are composed of the commando platoon, one Javelin section and one scout section. While the force is small, all units have some sort of TI or II capability giving them strength beyond their numbers in this battle. They will cover the northern flank and attempt to reach the six objectives in the sector.

Center sector forces consist of two infantry companies. They will each advance in a two up, one back formation and be prepared to support either the north or south sectors as need. There are seven objectives in this sector to capture.

Forces in the south sector are composed of one infantry company, one Javelin section and one scout section. They will advance in a two up, one back formation with the reserve platoon echeloned to the right. There are two reasons for this. First and foremost, it was to avoid deploying on the road. Roads attract prep fire. Second, it puts them in a position to help cover the open area on the south edge of the map. Once movement starts, they will shift back to a more centered position. The lead platoons will deploy north and south of the road ensuring the enemy doesn’t use it. The open area will also be covered by scouts and the Javelin teams, with the two jeeps positioned further back. It is expected that they Javelin teams may need to be run for ammo to the truck located on the line between the south and center sectors. There are three objectives in this sector.

Units unassigned to the advance, specifically, the battalion HQ squad, battalion support company HQ squad, the FO and SAM team will cover the friendly back edge objective. There are three other objectives in friendly hands, but are located near the LD. It took me a while to figure out there were only 20 objectives. Two flags, worth 95 points and 120 points, are stacked creating one spot in the enemy deployment zone worth 215 points.

On board mortars are deployed near the line between the south and center sectors, with two sections in each area.

I’m not attaching screen prints for this plan since it really isn’t very exotic. My forces deploy and move forward. Using infantry, it’s not possible to get flashy. Most battles end up being brute force on brute force.
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:25 PM

Captain

Default Re: DAR: Taiwan vs China - Who Turn Out The Lights?

Turn 0 (Prep Fire)

No prep fire.

Casualties

Friendly: Zero.

Enemy: Zero.
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:31 PM

Captain

Turn 1

Forces moving forward in all sectors. No enemy sighted, but with a visibility of 2, that was expected.

Casualties

Old July 17th, 2009, 10:38 PM

Captain

Turn 2

Forces continuing to move forward. Approaching two objectives; one in the center sector and one in the south. No flags turned by the enemy yet.

Casualties

Old July 17th, 2009, 10:49 PM

Captain

Turn 3

One Javelin team in position in south sector. The remaining two should be set in the next couple of turns. I'm still trying to get them in position in the north sector, but the area isn't nearly as open and finding a good spot is more difficult.

The enemy just dropped a small smoke screen in the open field down south. Unfortunately for them, the only forces I have that can see it all have TI. No enemy forces sighted yet. I need better eyes on that road since that is where I expect first contact.

Casualties

Old July 17th, 2009, 11:01 PM

Captain

Turn 4

Enemy tanks sighted in the north and south sectors. Down south, one was popped on the road by a Javelin. None seen behind it yet. Up north, a single T-62II is picking its way through the woods. It has TI so I need to have my commandos hunker down and get ready.

Friendly forces turned one flag in the center sector and one in the south sector. The enemy turned one in the center sector so I know someone is coming there as well.

Casualties

Enemy: One T-69II destroyed and zero casualties (the whole crew survived)
Old July 17th, 2009, 11:23 PM

Captain

Turn 5

North Sector: Four enemy tanks trying to pick through the woods. One assaulted by commando squad without affect. I called in artillery in the off chance the tank would remain stationary, but it moved. I'll have to cancel that call. Three recon jeeps tried to come busting through, but two were capped by a scout patrol. The last dropped off an enemy scout section. Both the jeep and the scout are 100m from mine.

Center Sector: No enemy sighted.

South Sector: Got jumped by a couple of JL-8 fighter-bombers. The enemy are really lucky those didn't go after their units. I've seen that a lot in previous battles. It cost me one of my two jeeps and a few troops. More enemy tanks are pushing down the road and one more got zapped.

Casualties

Friendly: One Jeep destroyed and estimated 10 casualties..

Enemy: One T-69II tank and two BJ212 Jeeps destroyed, 10 casualties.

Last edited by RERomine; July 17th, 2009 at 11:32 PM..
Old July 18th, 2009, 12:22 AM

Captain

Turn 6

North Sector: It's a knife fight in the woods against the enemy tanks. Two have been destroyed and one immobilized. One Javelin team has fired three missiles, but 150m. Too close! All missed and the team has taken casualties from return fire. No more tanks have been sighted so the commandos are moving in on the remaining two. The last two Javelin teams have taken up positions to counter any more tanks from the front and cover the back if the last one breaks through. The last enemy recon jeep was destroyed and the scouts with it.

Center Sector: Two Chinese T-62II tanks popped out of the woods near my infantry. One tank was assaulted and immobilized. A helicopter also popped out next to one squad and got shot down.

South Sector: Chinese rockets coming in on my reserve platoon. Between the rockets and fighter-bombers, it has taken a beating. Further forward, the line units destroyed the last two enemy tanks. One at range with a Javelin and one as it tried to push down the road. The last tank came to within 100m of once squad which popped it with an integrated AT weapon.

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 10 casualties.

Enemy: Two T-69IIs, two T-62IIs and one Z-5 helicopter destroyed, 20 casualties.

Below are the hot spots at the end of turn 6:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	North Sector - Turn 6.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	8493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Center Sector - Turn 6.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	8494   Click image for larger version

Name:	South Sector - Turn 6.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	8495  
Old July 18th, 2009, 12:43 AM

Captain

Turn 7

North Sector: The enemy tanks haven't been destroyed, but things got hot enough that the crew from the immobilized tank bailed and got capped. That leaves one very lively Chinese tank there. It destroyed by Javelin team and hit my scouts again. I hope to finish it off this turn. It should have left while it had the chance.

Center Sector: The two enemy tanks were destroyed, but two more popped out of the woods. Both were assaulted, but survived. Without infantry support, they won't last long.

South Sector: Clear of enemy units for now. One Javelin team is hitching a ridge back for ammo.

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 5 casualties.

Enemy: Two T-62II tanks destroyed, 10 casualties.
Old July 18th, 2009, 01:27 AM

Captain

Turn 8

North Sector: The last enemy tank was immobilized and the crew bailed. They are trying to get away, but there are a lot of angry commandos nearby so that won't happen.

Center Sector: Last two enemy tanks destroyed by infantry. One enemy APC spotted by scouts about 400m out front. Counter battery plotted on a suspected enemy mortar position.

South Sector: No enemy units sighted in sector, but fighter-bombers and rockets are back. I traded my last jeep for a JL-8. At least I unloaded the Javelin team last turn for resupply. My reserve platoon regrouped after the last rocket attack, moved forward about 250m and got hit again. The heaviest casualties in the south are to a platoon not on the line.

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 10 casualties.

Enemy: Two T-62II tanks and one JL-8 fighter-bomber destroyed, 10 casualties.