.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 12th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some newbie questions (no nation specific)

I like Jotunheim for PD. Anytime Im playing a game where I think my only hope is a long holdout I go with Jotunheim. If I purchase archers in each province that allows it, and crank up the PD, then Im pretty strong. And I dont have to feed all those giants.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

yea, jotun pd is good but hitting 20 with in unless you need too isnt really worth it.
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:14 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Not on every province, no.
I tend to use the numbers 1, 6, 11, 21, and "all the gold I have this turn" when Im assigning PD for any nation.

I never fail to assign at least 1. That way if its taken by something I can at least get a report to see the force that took me, its formations, and orders.

I tend to assign 6 whenever possible.

I assign 11 if there is a high population or good magic sites.

I assign 21 if it has really important magic sites or a lab. Or important recruitable units with lots of resources.

And all-my-gold when Ive taken an important chokepoint near someone elses capital. If I expect it to be taken back then I also crank the taxes there to the max

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:18 PM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

I love 1x1 and 1x1x1 games. There are some good maps for that.

The classic is Clash of Titans, which is available on the Illwinter map page.

Wish_for_blood_slaves has made two good maps, too: Siltrock and Forgotten Cliffs. They are also good single-player practice maps. They are available on the map portion of this forum.

Pasha
Old July 13th, 2006, 05:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

Vicious Love is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
I never fail to assign at least 1...

And all-my-gold when Ive taken an important chokepoint near someone elses capital. If I expect it to be taken back then I also crank the taxes there to the max

Isn't that kind of a waste? You're paying way more than the standard cost for a handful of national units, only to lose them all (plus the sites they were protecting) in a turn or two. How much damage could they possibly do to the enemy to justify that kind of expenditure?
Old July 13th, 2006, 09:41 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

It might be more efficient to build an army and move it around, but Im lazy. If its a chokepoint thats going to be taken then Id rather wear him down with PD. Its just one turns gold. A PD of 30-40 usually. Not like Im maxing it out

Truthfuly though I do usually look at what that province can create. Often PD can be very nicely padded by buying the local archers or elephant or something. I buy what the resources will allow and THEN spend the rest on PD.