.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 12th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Corporal

Saarud is on a distinguished road
Default Dominions 3 1v1 Ladder

Hi all. I'm preparing to start some kind of ladder for Dominions 3 players to measure their skills in. I have some basic ideas of how I would like to do it but since I want to do this for the whole Dominion 3 community it rather should be done the way most people here want it. I do have some suggestions though... feel free to add any comments or suggestions if you have any interest in this.

The Ladder : My suggestion for the rating used in this ladder is the chess rating called ELO. You can find more info here http://chess.about.com/library/weekly/aa03a25.htm. This is a great ratingsystem and with some small adjustments it would fit a Dom3 ladder perfectly.

After people has registered on the ladder they are free to challenge anyone regardless of their rating.

The game : 1v1 games. Well since Dominions 3 is so complex there aren't 2 nations that are balanced to eachother. So how do we get the most fair matches? Well my idea is that the moderator first randomize which era will be played and then for that era randomize the 2 nations that will be used. 2 games are started and each player play one nation in the first game and the other nation in the second game. If you win both games you won the challenge, if you win one each the challenge was a draw and finally if you lost both games you obviously lost the challenge.

The Settings : I think that the standard settings in most cases should be applied but with some changes. First change should be indies... how strong should they be? When I solo I almost always play on 7 but perhaps there is better reason to use something else. Second change, I'd like to make is to set research faster. This will be 1v1 games and the later research areas will probably seldom be acquired otherwise. Also I would like more settings to tone down bless rushing abit. While it should be a viable strategy it shouldn't automaticly be the best ones. I am open for any suggestions.

The Map : I want to use random maps. With the regular settings. What are your suggestions on this?

The Server : I will provide for a server where the matches are setup up on and anyone that has server capacity is welcome to help me out.

The Webpage : Well it's not really necessary but it would be nice having a page showing the matches and a list of everybodies rating. But as I have never webmastered anything someone else would have to handle this.

Now perhaps you have better ideas than me. You might just want tournaments or something else than a ladder instead, then please suggest so. Perhaps noone has any interest in this at all in which case I just try to forget it.
Old December 12th, 2006, 11:00 AM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3 1v1 Ladder

Good idea, I was thinking of doing something similar myself, just for the fun of it. My system involved just rating players on how they performed in MP games just in the multiplayer section of this forum. I was going to call it, The Hall of Fame, I still may do it as my system will be alot different than yours. However, being in 6 MP's at the moment I lack time! I was very, very happy to be knocked out of the 7th MP I was in.

I hope your idea takes off.

Just a suggestion, but in order to find the best players, shouldn't all the settings be standard with no changes? Why nerf blesses? If you try to nerf them, then you are not really playing the standard, default version of Dom3. If blesses are too powerful the developers Illwinter should tone them down.

I say just play the standard Dom3, latest version, with random nations, random map size, default/standard settings. Everyone knows exactly where they stand and its a very simple system.
Old December 12th, 2006, 11:23 AM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road

For selecting nations you could use an idea some-one(forget who) suggested a while ago:
Have player x pick the 2 nations that will be played and let player y pick which one he wants.
Old December 12th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Second Lieutenant

Maltrease is on a distinguished road

Awesome Saarud! I would love to be a part of this.

There is another thread with a little discussion on coming up with fair matches.

http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/thr...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Of course now I just saw your name on there so I imagine you read it.

Instead of playing 2-3 matches there is another idea that I think has a lot of merit. B0rsuk came up with the premise of it.

One person decides which 2 nations are going to play and all of the game settings. The second person picks the side they want to play. So it obviously in the first person interest to make sure the choices are as fair as possible.

Settings that could be determined:
Number of provences
Typical map stuff (indy, research speed, gold, etc.)
Treaty Time, number of turns until direct conflict is allowed.
House Rules (no dual bless... or no castings of hurricane)
-Anything else?

It might make sense to create a few "balanced maps" as right now the random maps can give one player a lot of rich provences and leave the other with poor swamps. And you might want to allow a mulligan that can be used within the first 3 turns (or similar) in case someone gets a second turn plague or other very nasty event.

Anyways... sign me up as a player as soon as you are ready.
Old December 12th, 2006, 11:41 AM

Sergeant

WSzaboPeter is on a distinguished road

That thing sounds great.
Old December 12th, 2006, 11:42 AM

Major

Folket is on a distinguished road

I would prefer to let both players play both nations and give 1 point for each turns you defeat your opponent before turnh 100. Games end in a draw at turn 100. Or 50 if people like that better.

After people play thier game using any settinsg they agre on, they put up the score on the wiki and whoever wants to administer this recalculates wins/draws/losses into Elo change.

Every new player should have an ELO of 1000, and each game should at most have an ELO change of 30.
Old December 12th, 2006, 12:27 PM

Major

I think this would be the easiest system and I would be intrested in playing a game tonight.
Old December 12th, 2006, 12:37 PM

Corporal

Saarud is on a distinguished road

Meglabob: A Hall of Fame... what a great idea. You want some help getting eliminated from the rest of your games? The reason I beleive blesss RUSHING is to good for a 1v1 game is that in games with more than 2 players these things balance themselves out. It'll be hard for most nation to survive a Helheim bless rushing early on. You do have a point about playing on the standard settings. Anyhow right now we are just collecting ideas and discussing them.

Maltreas: Yeah I read that thread and waited for someone to take the initiativ to start a ladder of some sort. Borsuks idea is great and perhaps the right way to go. You also do have a point regarding maps. Hmm we need to hear more opinions.

Folket: Now that idea is just awsome, though it highly encourage bless rushing. I would like every strategy to be viable even the high scales one that just tries to outproduce your opponent. All these strategies can be applied to big MP games but in 1v1 games blessrushing will be way too über in any case.. me thinks.
Old December 12th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

Maltrease is on a distinguished road

That is a very interesting idea Folket.

It seems like there are a lot ways to make a duel game work.

I like the idea of a treaty. Give 24 months before hostilities can start and suddently things like Misfortune 3 and Death 3 are no longer "no-brainers" for most builds.

Plus you can get a little more flavor of "big gun" stuff that you will never see otherwise in a duel.
Old December 12th, 2006, 12:40 PM

Major

It does not encourage bless rushing, only if the people agre to allow heavy blesses.

In each game the players agre on settings. I was refering to house rules as well.

As well as mods, version number, treaty turns, and all other things you can think of.

My idea is just let two players play games the way they like and record the results.