BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old May 6th, 2019, 09:37 AM

Corporal

Isto is on a distinguished road
Default Tactics/Strategy thread

I plan on writing some strategy guides and analyzing the specific match ups in the future.

Please use this thread to publish your strategies or tips regarding Steel Panthers.

I start with one artillery loading tip, that is quite gamey and probably not realistic at all, but quite possible and effective in the use of steel panthers (particularly in MBT).

Take 4 rocket launchers, preferable as 2 units of 2 and position all of them as spreaded out as possible, but so that they can reach 2 spreaded out ammo depot in one go.

Position two of those launchers we call "shock launchers" so that when positioning two ammo trucks next to each of them, the ammo trucks can each travel to a different field gun in one turn.

Start the salvoes, and keep launching salvoes for three or four turn with the "shock launchers" the trucks are reloading as there are no possible counter battery fire in the early turns of the game and there are no other units the trucks can reload.

After this, move the trucks to reload the field guns that have already spent some ammo and after they have been reloaded (in the same time they do barrage) move to the next ones that are positioned in the similar way.

Also move the "shock launchers" to the ammo depots to reload them with. After this, continue to use the depots and travel to launch the further salvoes always from the different positions to not give away the position of the depots.

The other two rocket launchers (not the shock ones, but the ones without ammo trucks) will go to reload to those depots after they have launched their first salvoes and reload before it's the shock launchers turn to reload. Continue using these two depots taking turns with the shock launchers and the other two launchers for rest of the game and prioritize for possible helicopters.

This is the most effective use of the rocket launchers and giving salvo to a critical position in each of the early turns can be even game changing.

In the late game (or earlier if feel like the risk is worth it) position the lauhchers next to a ammo suply / depot, and fire every turn.

This is probably not realistic though, as i cannot imagine the rocket launchers firing missiles in the same time they are reloading, but this have been used against me, and i have been using it against the same opponent with this (more effective) variation in the game.

Last edited by Isto; May 6th, 2019 at 09:51 AM..
Old May 6th, 2019, 10:44 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tactics/Strategy thread

Personally I always (when possible) buy one unit of off-map CM artillery (with a decent range) and leave it in reserve for counter-battery. Sooner or later it will fire on that pesky AI/opposition player artillery.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old May 6th, 2019, 09:06 PM

Corporal

geoff is on a distinguished road

I thought that you could not resupply unless both stationary and not doing anything else - ie firing.
Old May 6th, 2019, 11:04 PM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isto View Post
I plan on writing some strategy guides and analyzing the specific match ups in the future.

Please use this thread to publish your strategies or tips regarding Steel Panthers.

I start with one artillery loading tip, that is quite gamey and probably not realistic at all, but quite possible and effective in the use of steel panthers (particularly in MBT).

Take 4 rocket launchers, preferable as 2 units of 2 and position all of them as spreaded out as possible, but so that they can reach 2 spreaded out ammo depot in one go.

Position two of those launchers we call "shock launchers" so that when positioning two ammo trucks next to each of them, the ammo trucks can each travel to a different field gun in one turn.

Start the salvoes, and keep launching salvoes for three or four turn with the "shock launchers" the trucks are reloading as there are no possible counter battery fire in the early turns of the game and there are no other units the trucks can reload.

After this, move the trucks to reload the field guns that have already spent some ammo and after they have been reloaded (in the same time they do barrage) move to the next ones that are positioned in the similar way.

Also move the "shock launchers" to the ammo depots to reload them with. After this, continue to use the depots and travel to launch the further salvoes always from the different positions to not give away the position of the depots.

The other two rocket launchers (not the shock ones, but the ones without ammo trucks) will go to reload to those depots after they have launched their first salvoes and reload before it's the shock launchers turn to reload. Continue using these two depots taking turns with the shock launchers and the other two launchers for rest of the game and prioritize for possible helicopters.

This is the most effective use of the rocket launchers and giving salvo to a critical position in each of the early turns can be even game changing.

In the late game (or earlier if feel like the risk is worth it) position the lauhchers next to a ammo suply / depot, and fire every turn.

This is probably not realistic though, as i cannot imagine the rocket launchers firing missiles in the same time they are reloading, but this have been used against me, and i have been using it against the same opponent with this (more effective) variation in the game.
Good idea to make a thread. Maybe it corresponds to AAr.
It is very different to play against AI than against humans. Tactics against humans may not be good to reveal them . But the tactics against the AI ​​can serve, and even try to use them vs humans.
A practical application would be to discuss tactics on a particular scenario or with some battle generated. That's why it would become a combat report.
Old May 9th, 2019, 03:55 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff View Post
I thought that you could not resupply unless both stationary and not doing anything else - ie firing.
Has to be stationary but firing just slows down the rate of resupply so if you want to fill up fast do not fire.
Old May 12th, 2019, 12:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road

One that I like to use if I can buy my force (i.e. not a scenario):
If attacking, buy lots of light, fast firing arty. If defending, slow rate of fire, hard hitting one. Reason for that is crater creation. When attacking (and especially if you have a predominantly infantry force), the craters will be a hindrance to your troops, they will slow them down, which will make you lose valuable time. Light artillery does not create craters, so this problem is mitigated. Fast firing artillery also suppresses enemy troops quite well so if it is combined with a timely close assault, will rout enemy dug in infantry faster than heavy artillery can kill said dug in infantry. On the other hand, heavy artillery creates craters, which can slow down an enemy infantry advance, thus being great for defense (not to mention its lethality against troops in the open).

In addition to the above, buying lots of light artillery means that enemy counterbattery fire will not be able to kill them all, thus no matter how good enemy CB artillery is, you'll always have arty support of your own.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 02:58 PM

Corporal

Isto is on a distinguished road

One minor trick when using bombing runs is to place them on the same intended target, for example a straigth road. Issue one bombing run in each turn and in some of the turns delay the bombing by one turn. In this way the opponent may never be sure does another plane bomb the area or not.