This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old July 14th, 2006, 11:23 AM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New version: 1.80

The AI in both mods is strong. Devnull is kind of like an enhanced and balanced stock version of SE:IV with some bonus features like Monsters. I think that most of the AIs are based on TDM ones.

CBmod is also reported to have strong AI. However, the mod itself is vastly different from stock or Devnull. I'd recommend that you check out some of SJ's support documention (ie school of ship design) for the mod when you first start...
Old July 14th, 2006, 07:23 PM

Brigadier General

Rollo is on a distinguished road

Hello Yimboli, yes I did the AI for CB Mod and most of the AI for Devnull Mod Gold as well. Not all of the AI for DNM Gold have been updated yet and the Amonkrie and Fazrah were done by Geoschmo.

The races that I did update (they are listed in the readme and are the only ones that have .emp files) have pretty good AI, but unlike CB Mod they probably need a bit of a bonus (high difficulty, low or medium bonus).
If you like a mod with strong AI, I feel confident enough about them to recommend DNM Gold.

Comparing the AI is rather difficult, as the mods are very different. Pretty much as Kwok has already said.
Devnull Mod Gold AI is not based on TDM, though. Well, actually it partly is, since it IS based on the AI that I wrote for TDM (Vikings, CueCappa, United Flora). But DNM Gold calls for many tweaks in the AI files that you can say they are their own thing. And all the other races have been done completely from scratch or partly based on previous work. But I digress.

There are some similarities between CB Mod and DNM Gold AI, though. All races use combined weapon strategies, fighters, and use troops to capture planets.
But the differences are much larger: DNM Gold AI is aimed to be diverse. I tried a lot of different concepts to make the races use different gameplans and overall strategy. Some of these concepts work better than others, and some are very effective. Most of the scripts took very long to make, test, and fine-tune in order to make them cope with DNM Gold.

OTOH, CB Mod AI is pretty much a hack job. Not polished or optimized yet, but surprisingly strong. This is due to the superb way that CB Mod is set up. If I were to put numbers to it, I'd say the reason CB Mod AI is good is 70% because of the mod itself, 20% dumb luck, and 10% experience in doing AI on my part.

Hope that answers your question.
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e
Old July 15th, 2006, 10:17 PM

Sergeant

Yimboli is on a distinguished road

Haha, props to SJ then for making a robust mod. Thanks!

Cheers
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:53 AM

Sergeant

Devnullicus is on a distinguished road

Hey Rollo,

I've been waiting (im)patiently for SEV to come out lately and I decided I would see if anyone still used devnullmod. I figured it would be lost in the mists of time.

But you've done an awesome job in keeping the mod, and more importantly, the spirit and intent of the mod alive and well. Thank you for keeping the mod alive - it was a lot of fun to create in the first place.

Heh, maybe I'll dig out my SEIV again to try and play with the newest version. It sounds like a great mod now!

But..probably not. Life is busy for me these days. I'm now working as a game developer at EA (working on the Sims). We're getting ready to ship Sims 2 Pets, but about the time I'll have some slack time, SE 5 will ship.

I'm REALLY looking forward to playing SE 5 and possibly even putting together another mod for it. Time will tell.

Again, thanks for all the hard work Rollo (and others!)
Old August 17th, 2006, 12:16 PM

First Lieutenant

PsychoTechFreak is on a distinguished road

Devnullicus? Unfreakingbelievable, I can personally thank YOU for the origin of this mod.
Sims 2, when do you plan to release the first compilation of EA's awesome cash cow? I am waiting eagerly for something like this, but it looks like it will not happen within this year.
Old August 17th, 2006, 01:37 PM

Sergeant

Devnullicus is on a distinguished road

Heh, I can't comment on that one actually, but I will say you might be pleasantly surprised
Old August 17th, 2006, 07:12 PM

First Lieutenant

PsychoTechFreak is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I thought as much that you have to keep it a secret. But "pleasantly surprised" sounds good enough.

CU more often when SE5 has been released, deal?
Old August 18th, 2006, 08:19 PM

Brigadier General

Rollo is on a distinguished road

Thanks Devnullicus, it is good to hear that.

If you do find the time, go ahead and give the last version of Devnull Mod Gold a spin =).
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e