.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old June 10th, 2017, 02:32 PM

Sergeant

Weasel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Delete entrenchments from scenario

Thanks for the reply. I had stumbled across that key both in the manual and in the game but scrub grass to me is short stubble grass, which sort of works and I made a map using it and some pine trees but it does not simulate bushes. I guess I will just include all 3 versions (plain snow map, summer map, and winter with scrub and trees) so players can choose their flavour.
Old June 10th, 2017, 04:12 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Our "scrub grass" represent dry dead tall(ish) heavy weeds and light underbrush and is coded similarly to summer tall grass and is more of an accent terrain

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old June 10th, 2017, 04:47 PM

Sergeant

When I added it to the map all height increased by 1; a tree adds 2 if I remember correctly? If so then I guess it is doing the job of a bush as I would think a bush would be +1 to terrain height.

Thanks once again.
Old June 19th, 2017, 07:20 PM

Sergeant

Default Need help, map error

The map I created is facing in the wrong direction for retreating unit purposes. The Chinese are attacking from the north to the south, but when they retreat they are running across the front of the Marine positions to the right; resulting in squads being wiped out post haste.

I changed the rally hexes but that only affects their end of turn routing route, during the game they are ignoring the rally hex. Therefore the only other option is to spin the map 90 degrees so north now faces to the left (west) and south faces to the east (right). I tried using the editor copy map and past function but there is no way to spin the map that I know of.

Is there a way to spin the map? If not, is there a way to stop the Chinese from running across, or through, the Marine lines when they are routed? They need to run north and the Marines south (although Marines don't run).
Old June 20th, 2017, 10:32 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Scenarios should not be made top-bottom of the map, since the game is designed for one player on the left, the other on the right.

The top of the map is not "North" unless you decide it to be. North could be the bottom, left or right to suit your scenario.

There is no way to spin the map. The rally hex is for the initial retreat direction - once reached and still retreating it'll head for the appropriate side for the force which is either left or right map edge.

In addition, off-map arty comes from the players side which is again is either left or right edge.

You'll need to redo the scenario (and map) with north at the Left or Right side of the screen as suits best.
Old June 20th, 2017, 01:03 PM

Sergeant

Thanks for the reply, and I understand my mistake. The map cannot be remade, not spending another 3 weeks on it.

This statement "The rally hex is for the initial retreat direction" isn't holding true, I set the rally hex for each formation behind their deployment position, the units do not move backwards past where they were deployed to the rally hex, but left or right. So if the rally hex in game play (before end turn is selected) is suppose to make the units run towards it, it doesn't work. I can upload saved files if needed.
Old June 20th, 2017, 01:12 PM

The rally hex wont work for the initial run from a hex where they recieved a casualty and so pulled back - that is always to what the unit thinks is safer (usually towards their sides map edge).

Also - if the rally hex is further away from the unit than its own map edge, it will tend to go there.

So, the rally hex is really a hint to the unit that its to go toward there - but if it thinks the map edge it should go to is nearer, it will go there. Also - it will sometimes go for the unit command element if it is close. And sometimes it'll initially go towards the enemy - if for example the path to the rear map edge is quicker that way (avoiding woods etc). Sometimes it will just sit still and cower in place, if it is for example in a cover hex (rough say).

Retreat and rally is complex, and the rally hex is not a "global override", just a suggestion the scenario designer puts there that it may or may not heed.
Old June 20th, 2017, 05:43 PM

Sergeant

Default Running away

Thanks for the quick reply. That is what Walrus and I thought, that the rally hex only applies to end turn. Anyway in reference to what you said, the above picture shows the USMC lines (blue), Chinese (red), rally hex for that formation (yellow circle) and the direction that they rout when under fire (green arrow). The HQ for each company is behind the lines so in this case those nasty Chinese have a mind of their own and are ignoring the game rules. The ignore the rally hex that is maybe 8 hexes from them, they ignore their HQ which is maybe 5 hexes from them, and they ignore the nearest map edge being either top or left side and are running off to the right. The USMC rally hex is set a Yudam-ni but they are running to the left while they are deployed as right.
Old June 20th, 2017, 05:55 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

If you swap player 1 & 2 wont the Chinese at least go left and the USMC right?

not perfect but closer...

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old June 20th, 2017, 06:16 PM

As Scorpio said.

Check your scenario and make sure the forces sides are properly set for your scenario - you may have them reversed or set to default (which may be the opposite of what you want as well).