.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old March 21st, 2016, 02:34 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Walking Dead Walks no More

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
the latest scenario with the tweaks has the forces facing left or right. So, i went into the editor to fix that, especially for the bunker weapons so that the marines have proper fields of fire.
oops !

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old March 21st, 2016, 02:51 AM

Lieutenant General

Fixed.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Scenario_400_Walking_Dead_03-21-16.zip (151.8 KB, 122 views)

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old March 25th, 2016, 12:22 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Potion Re: Walking Dead Walks no More

NVA units attacking firebase from The Ville are retreating towards the firebase. Although, I have not set rally points, they may induce NVA to retreat away from the firebase.
Old March 25th, 2016, 05:22 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
NVA units attacking firebase from The Ville are retreating towards the firebase. Although, I have not set rally points, they may induce NVA to retreat away from the firebase.
That's often a bit of a problem when you have attacks from multiple directions. Unfortunately even with Rally Points set units often seem to ignore them and retreat toward their map side. I think, repeat THINK, it has something to do with if they're just retreating or actually routing, i.e. how much morale they've lost.

The formations approaching from the village are a minority of the attacking forces (most are to the north or south) so I just sorta view them as truly fanatic/dedicated attackers.

I am very curious how the battle plays out in the hands of someone that didn't create it. A bit hard to playtest when you know exactly what's going to happen when and where.

Old March 25th, 2016, 05:33 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,695 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Think about it this way...when a unit is routing it is in a blind panic and it "sees" nothing around it.....there is no "look ahead" so it reverts to primal instinct and heads for home and home is it's side of the map. It's the sceanrio designers job to design with that in mind . It IS what they WILL do..... it's a central fact of the game.... so work within the framework of restictions and weird things won't happen.

I have put this into the patch, warts and all........my my but that's a $hit load of VC !
Old March 25th, 2016, 11:40 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
I have put this into the patch, warts and all........my my but that's a $hit load of VC !
Building this I quickly discovered it's rather difficult to balance a firebase scenario because you tend to wind up with one side or the other winning with relative ease.

While it's somewhat slanted toward the USMC side that can quickly change if the player screws up.

Old March 30th, 2016, 11:26 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
Post Re: Walking Dead Walks no More

The Walking Dead Battle Notes
Date: September 19, 1967
Battle Location: A valley south of Da Nang
Battle Type: USMC defend vs. NVA/VC assault
Design by: Suhiir

Battle Date: 20-28 March 2016

Play Notes
I suggest making friends with the “R” and “N” keys to reduce unit suppression after NVA/VC advance.

When calling air strikes, inactivate munitions stores not required for the strike. Example, the F-4B Phantom has a munitions loadout of 1 x 500 lb napalm and 2 x 500 lb bombs x 2 (4 total). By activating only one store per sortie, the usefulness of the unit is extended at least 3 strike missions.

Design Notes

NVA forces attacking from the Ville, retreat towards the firebase. Suggest creating a rally point in The Ville. Additionally, forces inside the firebase ought to have rally points within the firebase to prevent units from retreating into the wire, especially 1st Pl Bravo 1/9.

I vaguely recall discussions about creating a scenario, saving it then changing the scenario from an assault to a meeting engagement so that one side could then purchase fortifications, mines, etc. I wonder, if a scenario could be designed and saved in a way so as to change sides. The NVA/VC forces are built from the left, but what if the units from the Ville were purchased first from the right side and saved as an advance. Then reopen the scenario change sides (NVA/VC on the left), and purchase the remaining force.

NVA/VC units. Suggest creating a few units, to recapture VFs, especially along Route Colonial 3. Furthermore, consider increasing VFs on Route Colonial 3.

To discourage using CH-43As as attack helos, increase their costs significantly.

The downed F-105 pilot, very nice touch. If he could be placed on a hex with a hidden VF (NVA/VC), or several, that would force the player to make the rescue or incur a penalty.

"I don’t underestimate the value of military knowledge, but if men make war in slavish obedience to rules, they will fail." General Ulysses S Grant, US (Personal Memoirs 1885)

Mission: Bravo Co 1st Btn 9th Marines will defend and hold Firebase Dragon. Lima Co 1st Btn 3rd Marines and Charlie Co 1st Btn 9th will reinforce Bravo 1/9.

Commander’s Intent: Bravo 1/9 will direct counter battery fires against NVA/VC mortars, while bunker units will target advancing NVA/VC infantry. Lima 1/3 will disembark in the firebase to reinforcement Bravo 1/9. Charlie 1/9 will use Lima 1/3’s CH-43A squadron to flank and attack VC units on Route Colonial 3 road from the west, while 3rd Pl Charlie 1/9 and armor will attack from the east.

Gameplay

Bravo 1/9 relied heavily on opportunity fire to pin down advancing NVA/VC units. Only bunker units were used to selectively target advancing NVA/VC units: sappers, rpg’s, and machine guns.

Turn 8. Moved F4 & K4 M60’s to 3rd Pl Bravo 1/9 sector due to the damaged suffered by 3rd Platoon. A Cobra section and a Huey, loaded with a Recon Section/Engineer took out AAMG near Hill 55. I tasked this group to take out mortars & AA in vicinity. I continued with this tactic hitting mortars with the copters.

Turn 13. Lima Co 1/3 disembarked within firebase by flying south to road to Cao Bang, then west following river to firebase. This tactic was important to keeping firebase as the south flank of the firebase, 3rd Platoon Bravo 1/9 was decimated by enemy mortars.

Turn 20. Charlie Company 1st Battalion 9th Marines arrived. HQs established in vicinity of 104,96 with mortars, and resupply area.

Turn 23. A squadron of CH-46A’s moved to HQs area. 3rd Pl Charlie 1/9 advanced along road with armor, while remainder of Charlie 1/9 was transported by CH-46A’z to Route Colonial 3, whereupon Charlie 1/9 assembled to assault enemy positions along the road east to Cao Bang.

Turn 26. VC breached wire at unit J0 2nd Pl Bravo 1/9.

Turn 30. Downed F-105 pilot was rescued.

Turn 33. Moved rescued down pilot to Hq 1st Btn 9th Marines.

Scenario ended at Turn 60 with a Marginal victory.

Interesting. A guy or gal has a lot to manage in this scenario. The beginning NVA advance phase with each turn takes awhile. Grab a coffee or some herb tea if you have issues with caffeine.

Lima 1/3 Disembarkation

Battle Report

Battle Result

Thanks suhiir.
The Following User Says Thank You to shahadi For This Useful Post:
Old March 30th, 2016, 05:22 PM

Lieutenant General

I wonder, if a scenario could be designed and saved in a way so as to change sides. The NVA/VC forces are built from the left, but what if the units from the Ville were purchased first from the right side and saved as an advance. Then reopen the scenario change sides (NVA/VC on the left), and purchase the remaining force.

Not sure this would work as I believe they retreat to the side the scenario is last set to. But I'll give it a try, we might get lucky!

NVA/VC units. Suggest creating a few units, to recapture VFs, especially along Route Colonial 3. Furthermore, consider increasing VFs on Route Colonial 3.

Actually there is an NVA platoon that appears at the bend in the road late in the game to do just that. Assuming it follows it plotted path. Remember there a 120(?) plot point limit and they use 3 per turn. So after turn 40 the AI does as it pleases with units.

To discourage using CH-46As as attack helos, increase their costs significantly.

Good idea!

Old March 30th, 2016, 06:05 PM

Captain

"Actually there is an NVA platoon that appears at the bend in the road late in the game to do just that. Assuming it follows it plotted path. Remember there a 120(?) plot point limit and they use 3 per turn. So after turn 40 the AI does as it pleases with units." Suhiir (#18)

Yes, they appeared after the establishment of the HQ 1/9. The HQ security detail took care of them in short order. We were lucky. I thought an NVA/VC would attack from Hill 77, the Sunset Strip. We swept through the area clearing it with light resistance.

In the following map, please note Charlie 1/9 advance maneuver and the placement of the HQs.

Additionally, I found a few similar scenarios, in particular #104 , The Outpost: 09/48. Remarkably similar.

---------