.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old July 4th, 2007, 08:29 AM

Sergeant

valo2000 is on a distinguished road
Default what to put in the core

what units should stay out of the core?
does it make any sense to buy ammo transporters and unarmed transports for the core? or do they perform as good experienced as unexperienced?

i have a group of flamerockets with light truck as transports now.if i would use spws ans transporters instead that would at least add some combat power. But spws would be pretty unrealistic afaik so i use trucks that are not much else then target for enemy aty.
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:48 PM

Sergeant

PatG is on a distinguished road
Default Re: what to put in the core

From a thread last year:
Quote:
vic said:
<snip>
Ammo units don't appear to benefit from increased experience (i.e. don't reload firing units faster) so the delta between their cost purchased as supplementals and their higher value as experienced core is a sort of "gift" to the AI it can use to buy more units. Very sporting!

For unarmed transports etc., it depends on what your goal for the campaign is. I tend towards realism, so if I was depicting a motorized unit, I would put the trucks in the core - if a leg unit that needed some extra mobility for just one game, I would buy the trucks from support points.
If you find you are consistently buying certain units from support points, consider expanding your core to include them instead.

Of course if I was playing an anything goes campaign, I would be buying the best APCs possible

You have to consider how you will be deploying your forces. For example, if you are using your flame rockets as indirect support then trucks are fine - all you need is something to move the werfers before the counter-battery hits so save the tracks for the crunchies in the front lines. If you prefer to use the rockets for bunker busting and direct support, then a little armour protection is justified. Either way, experienced transport is less likely to bugger off as soon as the first rounds of counter battery hit.

There are other "gamey" factors to think about. For example, many players feel that off board artillery in your core gets too good. Another would be buying far more of a vehicle than were ever produced.

Finally, every unit you put into your core doesn't need to be be bought with support points. There are few things more annoying than being given a fistful of airstrikes but having no points to buy them.
Old July 4th, 2007, 05:10 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road

Good day, Valo2000

I would suppose that there many lines of thought on this and it would also vary depending on the type of scenario/campaign you are recruiting for.

As for myself, I fight long campaigns, and IF a unit (especially early war) has trucks I would buy them (Exception maybe Red Army Units). My reasons come down to this: 1. Hope to upgrade to armoured transport with experience. 2. Infantry without transport tend to leave my tanks without protection. 3. Cost of purchase later or for a specific battle tends to be more. 4. In line with cost, I prefer to have my support points to buy defensive stores, artillery, air strikes, and or Recce Elements depending on the type of engagement.

In real life, combat troops would prefer to have transport crews, which they’ve worked and trained and shared combat with. Not they would sneeze at transport just showing up, a ride is always nicer than slogging forward, but your own is always better.

IMHO

Eternal War(gaming) PanzerBob

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:57 AM

Sergeant

serg3d is on a distinguished road

I always put transport and ammo into core. Otherwise I'm forgetting to buy them in each battle.
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:51 AM

Private

MajorDisaster is on a distinguished road

In German campaign I put a couple of armoured carriers in the core (you can keep mortars and arty resupplied with a LOT of ammo). You then have fewer guns to manage but they fire more rounds and quite likely clock up more kills per gun. (Of course the downside is that the enemy has fewer of your guns to knock out). A few ammocarriers is cheaper than buying more tubes which usually run out of ammo half way through a battle,(err, maybe thats just me... ). I would generally say that if you keep finding youre having to buy the same stuff in every game as support points, think about having at least a percentage of them in your core. EG I kept having to buy carriers/trucks so now I have a few in core. That means you can use support points for the right stuff for the actual mission, not just same old sundries. And as others have already said, for a bit of realism's sake, why not? :-)