.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 31st, 2008, 07:05 PM

Captain

sansanjuan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ummh

Quote:
Dedas said:
Have you seen the new ad for Dom3?

I think many of you may be missing the fact that the ad is targetting pretty blond women that like to hang out in comfortable clothes and play PBEM strategy games. It is a viable demographic with plenty of discretionary income. As the forum soon fills with blond women we will hear "Bambi whipped my Ulm butt with her GOR Tartarian Monstrum" ... and the like.

-SSJ

"I yam what I yam" - Popeye
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:09 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
lch said:
It's already Tuesday in Taiwan!
This guy figured it out.
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

Sir_Dr_D is on a distinguished road

I thought the add was funny.

So where do Dominion 3 players like her hang out.
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

moderation is on a distinguished road

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Banners_2004/IWantMyD3.jpg if you can't get it to load.

I dunno about the ad. It doesn't explain anything about what Dominions 3 is. I suppose given the context this being a wargamer board, it's interesting, but why not have her playing Dom 3? I think that would be way cooler.

Are there any girls that play Dom 3 though? I have a feeling this game is just too geeky, but I would be glad to hear if I am wrong about that.

Anyway is that ad still going to be around on Wednesday?

Quote:
Omnirizon said:
another way of looking at it would be along the lines of what edratum suggested. it is pure marketing forced by capitalist endeavor. I don't want to open that can of worms. But while some Pmod critics claim that modernism is more of a 'counterfeit culture' than an actual 'counter culture' (similar to Sombre's position), others claim that fault lies not with modernism or Pmodernism, but with capitalism. Capitalism creates the necessity for the boundlessness reflected in modernism.
Oh by the way, can someone translate this into English? Just for the sake of exploring postmodernist theory, which I'm somewhat interested in, does Dominions 3 challenge the accepted order / master narrative in any meaningful way however it is advertised? I mean it's a fun indie game, but like you're conquering the world in Dom 3 just like every other 4X. I would love to see fighting for global domination in Dom 3 as cool and subversive, but I can't see how that could be.
Old March 31st, 2008, 11:21 PM

Major

Tuidjy is on a distinguished road

That is one strategically placed cushion! Obviously a very appropriate ad for a strategy game.
Old March 31st, 2008, 11:52 PM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

I clicked on the ad just to show that there were no hard feelings over the peel ad and to support my favorite grognards at Shrapnel. (It is worth noting that I am not one who normally clicks on ads. )
Map Forge - Map editor
Old March 31st, 2008, 11:53 PM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
moderation said:

Quote:
Omnirizon said:
another way of looking at it would be along the lines of what edratum suggested. it is pure marketing forced by capitalist endeavor. I don't want to open that can of worms. But while some Pmod critics claim that modernism is more of a 'counterfeit culture' than an actual 'counter culture' (similar to Sombre's position), others claim that fault lies not with modernism or Pmodernism, but with capitalism. Capitalism creates the necessity for the boundlessness reflected in modernism.
Oh by the way, can someone translate this into English? Just for the sake of exploring postmodernist theory, which I'm somewhat interested in, does Dominions 3 challenge the accepted order / master narrative in any meaningful way however it is advertised? I mean it's a fun indie game, but like you're conquering the world in Dom 3 just like every other 4X. I would love to see fighting for global domination in Dom 3 as cool and subversive, but I can't see how that could be.
I think I used modernism/postmodernism somewhat confusingly, but that is because I was presenting two different viewpoints in one. I will break it down:

1. modernism is the result of modernity. Modernity is the result of the enlightenment (order and reason, that there is a thing such as reason, everything is knowable, everything is orderable; perfection is both possible and desirable).

1a. modernism is both a reaction against the enlightenment ideals of modernity, but rooted in them. It was a rage against order, but a celebration of individuality, freedom, and mass culture. These things are all the result of "universal man". Modernity, the enlightenment, created "universal man" in opposition to "situated man". Situated man is the non-universal, entrenched in tradition and the past; things the enlightenment believes corrupt true Reason. So modernity creates "universal man", a man of pure reason and universality. But now universal man is above the order that created him, he is universal, he has no reason to be beholden to whatever created him. He reacts against order using its own ideals of universality and freedom. Thus: Modernism.

2. Postmodernism is the result of postmodernity. Postmodernity is the result of modernism. It is the crass, limitless, fragmented, mass culture that modernism created, and that we are all comfortable with today.

2a. Some authors blame 'modernism' for the boundlessness of contemporary culture. They say capitalism worked just fine, it was the raucous modernism activity, the beatniks, the hippies, the radical movements, the permissiveness, that caused modernity to decay into postmodernity. These authors say modernism is dead, and it is time to return to the ordered ideals of the enlightenment. The enlightenment didn't fail, modernism did.

2b. Some authors blame 'capitalism' for the boundlessness of contemporary culture. They say modernism was a solution to mass growth of urban life and culture. But that capitalism, not modernism, created and encouraged the permissiveness and boundlessness of contemporary culture. Capitalism had an unquenchable need to accumulate, accumulate. Make more and more. Sell more and more. Everyone buy buy buy. This lead to capitalism creating permissiveness in culture; which leads us in postmodernism.

Because of these two different perspectives, you will see 'modernism' used to refer to both the belief in order, and the reaction against it. 'Postmodernism', whenever it is used, is a reference, sometimes celebration, of the fragmentation of life, of self, of the society we have today.

Whenever someone uses the term 'Postmodernism', they will always then refer to 'Modernism' as the belief in order and reason. They see modernism and postmodernism as a coherent dialect, the first caused the other. These are people who argue that capitalism, not modernism, caused postmodernity. Capitalism is the root of fragmentation.

Those who believe modernism is to blame for postmodernity, do not often use the term 'postmodernism'. For them, modernism turned into postmodernism, there really is no difference between them. Modernism was the fragmentation all along.
Old April 1st, 2008, 12:59 AM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

I think there was once one female of the species that played Dom 3, but she has since disappeared from the boards (I did not stalk her).

I occasionally post something useful.
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:18 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Maybe she's the Dom_3 female intern KO mentioned from earlier posts.

Old April 1st, 2008, 02:15 AM

Second Lieutenant

AlgaeNymph is on a distinguished road

Quote:
sansanjuan said:
"Bambi whipped my Ulm butt with her GOR Tartarian Monstrum"
That's what they should caption the ad with.

...!

Something just occurred to me, maybe this is an April Fool's prank.